Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Phil Steele's ISU Preview

QB: They talk how Meyer is the school leader for TD passes and looks to improve and bounce back from last year. They also think that Arnaud will give Bret a run for his money. They think the ISU QB's numbers will be much improved from last year.
    RB: They also expect more productivity from the running back spot this year.(How can we not improve given our performance last year.) They definitely think it is between Scales and Bass with slight mention of Harris as backup.
    WR: Of course they talk about Blythe. They make little mention of Sumrall and Moses. They put us down a little bit from our WR ratings last year. They think the loss of Davis and Flynn will hurt. No mention of Franklin!
    OL: They said this is a lightly experienced unit while losing 8 of the top 10 players.... Enough said there.
    DL: We have 4 players back with starting experience but lose two DL with big time starting experience and a number of sacks under their belt. As you might guess, these 2 players are Curvey and Moorehead. Other than that, they don't say much.
    LB: This is actually a positive. They think our LB's will be a strength of the team. We return 5 of the top 6 and gain Bibbs. They call this a "quality unit."
    CB: They make Mention of Allen Bell and say we can only go up based on our performance from last year.

Overall, they think with our inexperienced team, new schemes, and techniques, that we will have a losing record.... They have us projected last in the north.

Notes:
    They have Michael Tate penciled in as a DT starter. All of the other positions seem like a given. Banks, Bibbs, and Bowen are starting LB's. Sumrall, Blythe, and Franklan as wideouts. ( I really like those trio's)

Toledo will definitely be battle tested when we play them. They open up with a home game against Purdue and then play at Kansas the week before they host us. Purdue will be much improved and kansas will be tough for them on the road. Hopefully they will be banged up when we roll into town on Sep 22nd! Oh yeah, they are projected to win the MAC.

Tyrone Mckenzie is penciled in as a 1st team all Big East Selecion(not sure what I think of that). They have the USF defense as nearly the best in the conference.

I hope this wets everyone's appetites...

Drews79

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Re: Phil Steele's ISU Preview

I made a mention in my blog post about this, but did you check out Toledo's page in that magazine? 20-2 after their first two straight road games (@ Central Michigan, @ Kansas, then us...), nigh unbeatable at home, and a very decent record after a loss under their current coach. And if we're favored coming into that game, watch out, they're 5-0 when underdogs at home since 2000.

Keep in mind, Phil Steele was the only publication in 2004 to project us finishing in the top half of the Big 12 north ahead of Nebraska... he knows his stuff.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 5

dosn't mckinzie have to sit out a year because he transfered?

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by BigM View Post
    dosn't mckinzie have to sit out a year because he transfered?
    He got a waiver because I believe his mother is sick.

Walk On
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Airwalke, Sorry I didn't catch your Phil Steele blog. You are right, Steele's magazine is usually the most accurate. Lets hope he is wrong this year tho. I agree, we are definitely going to have our hands full with Toledo. Toledo also has that #81 tight end returning who tore us up last year.

I see Northern Illinois is projected 3rd in the MAC and the hawks play them at Soldier Field. These could make for some interesting games.

Drews79

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,184
    Given: 1,040

Quote Originally Posted by Drews79 View Post
    Airwalke, Sorry I didn't catch your Phil Steele blog. You are right, Steele's magazine is usually the most accurate. Lets hope he is wrong this year tho. I agree, we are definitely going to have our hands full with Toledo. Toledo also has that #81 tight end returning who tore us up last year.

I see Northern Illinois is projected 3rd in the MAC and the hawks play them at Soldier Field. These could make for some interesting games.
    Definitely...#81 looked like freaking Jerry Rice in Kellen Winslow's body last year. That was horrible......I just had a flashback! I am sure he is very good at what he does, but at this point, even for an expert, we are a definite unknown. Severely underachieving team from the year before, with some great players, but several serious holes, learning a new system, under a new, highly touted coach.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Drews79 View Post

That could be interesting as well. Out of all the "mid-majors", they're the ones consistently developing the best talent and giving hell to BCS schools.

Go Sssssssssyclones!