Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 75

ISU FB Status

I'm just as disappointed in the last two losses as any FB fan.

I'd like to see less calling out of the players and coaches - it usually is an unproductive way of expressing disappointment in a loss.

I do like good analysis of what is working or not without calling for someone's job. We're supposed to be fans who are supposed to be supportive, right?

I mean, press guys like Peterson are going to beat up the coaches and players every chance they get so shouldn't the fans be more supportive and worthy of the fan name?

If anyone here has been watching the post-game interviews with Coach Rhoads, it is clear he takes losing very hard emotionally, but does his best to use his analytical abilities to fairly break down the play both good and bad. That's the best one can hope for as I see it in response to losing from the coaches, players or fans. However, I'm getting concerned he and the team might start getting a complex over it - his KSU post-game demeanor comes to mind.

ISU FB is right where is was this time last year, losing to KSU on the last play of the game - 7 point difference this year instead of 1, but basically identical outcome with big losses on both sides of the ball due to graduation and attrition.

This year all the professional prognosticators have ISU at 4-8 or less for this year. ISU FB is in line with those expectations to date. Fans have ISU as out-performing professional expectations this year as the team did last year. Big difference this year is to out perform this year will be a much steeper climb against much tougher schedule so less likely. Possible, but less probable.

ISU FB is on the long hard climb up. It isn't a straight line process but an up and down process. And ISU's future climb got a lot steeper with the coming change to a round robin FB schedule in conference. Look for ISU to be parked at or near the bottom of the league in expected future seasons for quite some time until they can put together many solid seasons that out perform expectations consistently.

As much as I am disappointed with ISU FB, I am also encouraged that the future will provide continued improvement. For example, I remember watching this weekend the Texas game where a true freshman DE was making key plays disrupting the passing game who happened to be 6'8" or something like that. ISU has two such DE players on the boards for next year, the very thing ISU fans want - better D-line play.

Watching ISU FB is like the ultimate test in patience waiting for that championship year. I'm tired of waiting just like everyone else and want a breakout year this year as much as anyone else.

Let me point out one last thing in closing: The ISU coaches and players are all stating publicly that their long term goal is to compete and win the Big 12. Even after losses. I have never heard of such a thing and I like it. It may take a long time or not, but I like it.

I sure hope for a few upsets along the way this year. No one left on the schedule except maybe Texas and Nebraska look unbeatable. Tough for sure, but competitively possible. If everyone starts supporting instead of criticizing the players and coaches and looking for what they did right more or at least as often as what went wrong which is always the easiest to see, maybe we help the team get some of those wins. Especially after losses players and coaches need to be reminded of what went right. Just like we need that when we screw up.

I agree with those who noticed that Woody was a pleasant surprise against KSU and probably should see a lot more time pounding against the better run defenses we're going to see in the coming weeks. Here's to more pleasant surprises from the 2 deep in weeks to come.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 604

Re: ISU FB Status

The playcalling needs to be more dynamic. We have fallen to a more predictible level in our interest to get some momentum. Instead, we draw penalties (we use to be better at this), receivers fail to end up at right place on routes, blocks are not made, passes are batted down, passes are dropped, pass whiz over people's heads. And these are on our simple plays. I would think season two would have went more smooth than this current non conference action.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-20-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,155
    Given: 3,709

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    I'd like to see less calling out of the players and coaches.
    I don't think you are in the minority.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 792
    Given: 464

We need to learn how to tackle, and tackle hard. we are so soft.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 13

I understand we are at a disadvantage to recruit speed positions. After watching the KSt game I'm scratching my head as to why we don't have better run stopper at the DT positions. They gashed us with huge holes that can only be explained by interior defensive linemen being on skates. Those are positions instate kids should be able to grow into. Honestly we've had walk-ons become All-Big XII caliber DTs. Hopefully it's an oversight from the Chiz era that will change in the very near future.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,331
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 226

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    The playcalling needs to be more dynamic. We have fallen to predictibility level in our interests to get some momentum. Instead, we draw penalties (we use to be better at this), receivers fail to end up at right place on routes, blocks are not made, passes are batted down, passes are dropped, pass whiz oibver people's heads. And these are on our simple plays. I would think season two would have went more smooth than this current non conference action.

good post.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 9

Rhoads need to man up and get in the faces of these players. if anything bench Arnaud and AROB for a game and make an example, Positions are earned not given.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 112

Drive-killing penalties don't help us. Those need to be cleaned up - illegal formations, false starts, those kinds of things. It seems to me that whenever we start getting into a rhythm, we have one of those knucklehead penalties and we stagnate. Nothing like going from a makeable 3rd and 3 where you have a wide range of plays to run, false starting, and then getting put into a definite passing down.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 644

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlooded View Post
    Rhoads need to man up and get in the faces of these players. if anything bench Arnaud and AROB for a game and make an example, Positions are earned not given.

Sorry but none of those things are gonna happen....Same old Krap for the rest of the season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    Sorry but none of those things are gonna happen....Same old Krap for the rest of the season.
    Coaches who get in the faces of there players get W's and also sadly get fired.

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 645

Maybe I''m not remembering last years games as well but I thought we looked a lot worse this year vs. ksu compared to last year. Looking back at the game I think we may be lucky to have only lost by 7. Last year I felt like we were actually the better team. At no point on Saturday did I think we were the better team. I'm not blaming the coaches for play calling because to me it just liked they just had better players especially on the line.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 967

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    We need to learn how to tackle, and tackle hard. we are so soft.
    See Sandvig.

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Maybe I''m not remembering last years games as well but I thought we looked a lot worse this year vs. ksu compared to last year. Looking back at the game I think we may be lucky to have only lost by 7. Last year I felt like we were actually the better team. At no point on Saturday did I think we were the better team. I'm not blaming the coaches for play calling because to me it just liked they just had better players especially on the line.
    Last year it was our 5th game of the year with two weeks to correct problems from the Iowa Debacle against Kent and Army. Not saying we shouldn't have looked better, but it's not entirely an apples to apples comparison.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 98

1st off, I feel last years team was better despite all the coach speak this year. Frere, Lyle, and Smith are looking to be very valuable pieces right now.

2nd, It seems like whenever ISU gets a stop on defense..... the offense doesn't respond on the next drive. Everything has to come about the hard way. Should have clobbered NIU. Got the gift fake field goal by KSU and I don't recall them doing anything with it.

Before everyone slits their wrists and gouges their eyes out...remember its CPR's 2nd season...one following up a fairly senior laden defensive unit...the same defense that willed the Clones to some big wins.

Maybe they tank this year, but they do return A LOT next year at a slew of positions and Rhoads hand picked players will start to take over.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlooded View Post
    Coaches who threaten to eat their players get W's and also sadly get fired.
    Fixed it for ya.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball