Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Direct TV Set Up at Jack Trice

Question: We live in West Des Moines, Dish came from Ankeny and did not need to change any settings, I assume the same settings will also work in Ames - can anyone confirm? Pointing the 3LNB Dish in the driveway has been much easier than I thought it would, takes less than 5 minutes once I figured it out the first time. Bascially points the same way as a single LNB looking for the 101 satellite and the other satellites fall in line. At home we have a 5LNB High Def, so the hardest part was figuring out how to change the Dish Type in the set up menu.

Project Details:
    -3LNB Direct TV Dish - from a friend that no longer needed it -cost: a couple pitchers of beer.
    -Tripod Purchased on Amazon - $30
    -Standard Def Direct TV Receiver - borrowed from Bedroom
    -15" LCD TV - borrowed from Bedroom -( plan to upgrage to a Energy Star 22" LCD TV when they go super cheap around Christmas time) Also have a 26" available, but concerned about power consumption - will test the 26" to see if it could work.
    -Dual Car Stereo and Antenna - Amazon $50
    -400 Watt Inverter - Amazon - $20
    -Group 24 Deep Cycle Battery - borrowed from our Camper
    -Speakers - from Garage set up since this set up will also work in the Garage.
    -Wooden Box: 24" Wide, 16" High,11" deep to house everything with the TV Sitting on Top, Designed to fit behind one seat in the small space behind the 3rd row of seats in a Chevrolet Tahoe. I had built something similar last winter, but it was too big and heavy to make for easy transfer so it got junkend.

Design allows for the system to be moved easily from the garage to the Car on Game Day. In the Garage, I will power the Satellite Receiver from the house dish once a line is run and the car stereo is powered with an AC to DC converter we had left over from a thermo-electric cooler that no longer works.

On Game Day we have a hitch packer that we utilize since usually its 7 people piling in to ride to the game. Tripod and dish will have to get strapped on along with the Tailgate tent, Grill, Cooler, Corn Hole, Etc. Might look like the hillbillies heading north:)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,394
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 292

Re: Direct TV Set Up at Jack Trice

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Question: We live in West Des Moines, Dish came from Ankeny and did not need to change any settings, I assume the same settings will also work in Ames - can anyone confirm? Pointing the 3LNB Dish in the driveway has been much easier than I thought it would, takes less than 5 minutes once I figured it out the first time. Bascially points the same way as a single LNB looking for the 101 satellite and the other satellites fall in line. At home we have a 5LNB High Def, so the hardest part was figuring out how to change the Dish Type in the set up menu.

Project Details:
    -3LNB Direct TV Dish - from a friend that no longer needed it -cost: a couple pitchers of beer.
    -Tripod Purchased on Amazon - $30
    -Standard Def Direct TV Receiver - borrowed from Bedroom
    -15" LCD TV - borrowed from Bedroom -( plan to upgrage to a Energy Star 22" LCD TV when they go super cheap around Christmas time) Also have a 26" available, but concerned about power consumption - will test the 26" to see if it could work.
    -Dual Car Stereo and Antenna - Amazon $50
    -400 Watt Inverter - Amazon - $20
    -Group 24 Deep Cycle Battery - borrowed from our Camper
    -Speakers - from Garage set up since this set up will also work in the Garage.
    -Wooden Box: 24" Wide, 16" High,11" deep to house everything with the TV Sitting on Top, Designed to fit behind one seat in the small space behind the 3rd row of seats in a Chevrolet Tahoe. I had built something similar last winter, but it was too big and heavy to make for easy transfer so it got junkend.

Design allows for the system to be moved easily from the garage to the Car on Game Day. In the Garage, I will power the Satellite Receiver from the house dish once a line is run and the car stereo is powered with an AC to DC converter we had left over from a thermo-electric cooler that no longer works.

On Game Day we have a hitch packer that we utilize since usually its 7 people piling in to ride to the game. Tripod and dish will have to get strapped on along with the Tailgate tent, Grill, Cooler, Corn Hole, Etc. Might look like the hillbillies heading north:)
    WDM settings are: 41.5, 187.6
    Ankeny settings are: 41.3, 187.7
    Ames settings are: 41.0, 187.6

Those three sets of settings are closer together than the accuracy of the gauge on the dish or of a compass. You shouldn't have to change any settings going from Ankeny to Ames. I don't have any trouble setting up our DirecTV dish in the donor RV parking lot. Getting the dish support stem vertical is the key.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

We usea 3LNB dish and WDM settings with no problem in Ames.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks aauumm. Next thing to do is fully charge the battery and then test voltages after 6 hours use. Also found I could run an auxilliary audio out on the TV and into the aux in on the stereo and really improve the volume potential of the TV. TV is now permanently attached to the Box, which hopefully will make for easy and safe transport.

Last edited by justcynn; 09-19-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: not able to add photo

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Photo didn't work, edit

Last edited by justcynn; 09-19-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Photo link didn't work