Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Tank gets tanked. Tank gets cut.

I hand it to the Bears for making the "right" decision...

ESPN - Bears waive suspended Tank Johnson after arrest

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Re: Tank gets tanked. Tank gets cut.

I guess they shouldn't have let Ian Scott go so easily... I doubt the Bears really had a choice, I am guessing the DUI is probably a violation of probabtion and Tank will be spending the entire season in the Tank... Must suck to not have guaranteed contracts...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 27

Someday these morons will learn that football is a business and you must present yourself in a way that benefits the business. The clean cut guys are going to make more $$ than the hot heads pretty soon.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Someday these morons will learn that football is a business and you must present yourself in a way that benefits the business. The clean cut guys are going to make more $$ than the hot heads pretty soon.
    I have to slightly disagree with this. Maybe my preception of clean cut is and educated, neatly dressed individual with a sense of respect to himself and others.

I think it comes down to who ever decides to put their job before the other crap will be better off. Chad Johnson is a prime example. Cocky attitude with a mowhawk haircut, yet he gets the job done and mostly keeps his bum out of trouble. Not the most "clean cut", but a good NFL buisness man if you will.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 74

The problem is that some other team will come along and pick him up.

I think what could really curb the terrible off-the-field behavior is that if a player is cut for bad behavior, NO ONE else picks him up. That way there are serious consequences for repeated behaviorial problems

Last edited by cycloneworld; 06-26-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    I have to slightly disagree with this. Maybe my preception of clean cut is and educated, neatly dressed individual with a sense of respect to himself and others.

I think it comes down to who ever decides to put their job before the other crap will be better off. Chad Johnson is a prime example. Cocky attitude with a mowhawk haircut, yet he gets the job done and mostly keeps his bum out of trouble. Not the most "clean cut", but a good NFL buisness man if you will.
    Yeah, the ones with incredible talent will always be able to get away with a little more, that is just the way life is. I am thinking someone like Payton Manning, he represents the NFL very well, and will probably get a bigger contract than he would if he was a "badass."

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Even if defensive tackle Tank Johnson is suspended for the entire 2007 season, don't think for a second that teams won't be interested in giving him another shot.

You rarely have an opportunity to pick up a 6-3, 300-pound lineman capable of running a 4.7 40-yard dash off the street, and someone will be able to stomach the obvious P.R. hit.

Don't be surprised if Cowboys owner-general manager Jerry Jones is at the head of the line. He believes in taking risks on talented but troubled players (see Charles Haley and T.O.), and I assure you he will be tempted to sign Johnson at some point.

In fact, I just talked to a member of the organization who said Johnson would be a "perfect fit" in head coach Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense. He said the Phillips scheme actually works better with inside players who have flourished in the 4-3, as Johnson has, because it requires them to line up at different spots along the line and use their quickness to make plays.

The Cowboys would love to have someone like La'Roi Glover back because he's a better fit in Phillips' scheme. Bill Parcells brought in Jason Ferguson because he had the size and strength required to hold the point of attack in the middle of the defense. He'll still play a major role in the defense, but he doesn't have the lateral quickness that Phillips craves.

Johnson has the versatility to line up at nose tackle and either of the defensive end spots.
    He had 8 1/2 sacks over the past two seasons, and has Pro Bowl talent. And that's why he'll have to work really hard to ever completely run out of opportunities.

LINK

No, no, NO! Of course, this is just rumor and these things get speculated upon endlessly - over half never comes true. However...if it happens...

Did Jerry completely forget about what happened following the last Super Bowl win and all the problems that he had in Dallas? I mean come on. And the commissioner's office isn't treating these things in the same way they were handled back then. Consequences are much tougher now for these off-field incidences.

Please...no Tank in Big D. Phillips has plenty of guys on the defensive line - young and experienced - to get the job done. You wanna help your team? Stay the heck off the field and sign a young receiver or two next year.

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

No charges this time. Still should have been released after the other incidents. But how about the concept of innocent until proven guilty?

Link

GILBERT, Ariz. (AP) - Tank Johnson's blood alcohol level was below the legal limit when the former Chicago Bears tackle was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving June 22.

Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072, under the presumptive limit in Arizona of .08 percent, police Sgt. Andrew Duncan said Monday. No charges have been filed pending results of a completed investigation.

Johnson, whose legal name is Terry Darnell Johnson, was arrested when officers pulled him over at 3:30 a.m. for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. Duncan said an officer placed him under arrest because he believed Johnson was under the influence of alcohol. He was released without being booked or charged after providing a blood sample, and police said he was very cooperative.
    The 25-year-old player was released by the Bears three days after his arrest. The team said it was "upset and embarrassed" by the defensive tackle's legal troubles. The Bears declined comment Monday.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    No charges this time. Still should have been released after the other incidents. But how about the concept of innocent until proven guilty?

Link
    That whole concept of innocent until proven guilty is as dead as personal responsibility in this country.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Yeah, the ones with incredible talent will always be able to get away with a little more, that is just the way life is. I am thinking someone like Payton Manning, he represents the NFL very well, and will probably get a bigger contract than he would if he was a "badass."
    Not to mention the endorsement dollars he gets for presenting himself that way.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 964
    Given: 77

Did the Bears jump the gun on this? Yes he was a black eye on the franchise, but technically he was below the limit. Likely no additional punishment from the league.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 964
    Given: 77

If no charges are filed at all, some team is going to pick him up really quickly. Character aside, this guy can play. And, with the popularity of the cover 2 and 3-4 defenses, good front line play is essential. I'll bet more than a few teams are licking their chops.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum