Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 0

As bad as it looked, the defense actually did its job today

I went and looked at the box scores of KSU's first 3 games now and here's what you get...

I looked at TOTAL OFFENSE...

KSU- 377 yds
    UCLA- 313 yds

KSU- 493 yds
    Missouri State- 447 yds

KSU- 366 yds
    ISU- 293 yds

We actually held KSU to its lowest total offensive numbers yet this year. Plus, our defense scored 7 pts. We also held KSU to it's lowest point total yet this year as well. So as ugly as our defense looked, they still gave us a shot at winning the game. You can't ask a whole lot more than that from a defense that lost so many starters.

But what also sticks out big time is our offensive numbers compared to what UCLA and Missouri State put up on this bad KSU defense. We put up the least yds... and points too, especially when you consider our offense only accounted for 13 pts today.

So... when is someone going to be held accountable for the performance of this offense? It's Tom Herman's job... period. If you can't get it done with AA as your QB, then it's your job to find someone else that can. And if AA isn't suited for this offense, then why are we running it? Why do something that you don't have the right players for?

Going into that last drive, Arnaud had 93 yds passing. Seriously.... 93 yds. And that is in Tom Herman's "high powered, no huddle, 100% shotgun" offense. Are you all as impressed as me?

We threw one WR swing pass against Iowa, and we scored a TD. We threw 3 today I think, all to probably our slowest WR (which is another issue), and they all gained nearly 10 yds. We never once went deep on Iowa, but did it twice today. The first time, we got a 15 yd PI penalty on KSU. The second time, ARob beat his man by about 10 yds and AA couldn't hit him. Other than that... the same old crap plays all day long.

Now... back to those succesful WR swing pass plays... we threw them all to Jake Williams. No offense to Jake, he's a great possession guy, but he'd be the first one to admit he's not the fastest or shiftiest WR on the team. We don't throw it to Darks, or Money, or Shontrelle for that matter. We did throw one to Shontrellle in the NIU game and he gained 11 yds on it. But hey... lets don't go back to that one again! Plus, these throws are just too easy for AA to make... so why not make him stand in the pocket and look downfield for something much more difficult?

I'm sorry... I don't understand this offense at all! Nothing about it makes sense. Like someone else mentioned... what is our offensive identity? Are we fast paced? No... we are no huddle, but not fast paced. Sometimes we are, sometimes not. But since nobody really knows... we get all kinds of false start penalties.

Are we a spread attack? No... not really. We've given up on the WR/RB swing and screen passes which spread defenses out side to side... and we rarely throw really deep to spread teams out vertically.

Are we a power running team? Sometimes we are, but then when it's working, we usually abandon it.

Are we an option team? Again... sometimes.

We just are almost every kind of style you can think of... and so in the end we aren't very good at any of them. It's also why we look so confused all the time. It's why we have all kinds of stupid penalties. I just don't get it?

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,671
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Re: As bad as it looked, the defense actually did its job today

hence why 90% of the post game comments have been bashing arnaud and herman and the offense, and not wally's defense.

not to mention playing on D with backups and very thin at LB

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 112

Our offense right now is bottom feeder. 27 against NIU, 7 against Iowa, 13 today. When was the last time that we had the luxury of a blow out game when we ended on top?

We looked like the Jets offense last week and slightly like their defense. Our people won't last the season if they have to play this many defensive plays.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

Now... back to those succesful WR swing pass plays... we threw them all to Jake Williams. No offense to Jake, he's a great possession guy, but he'd be the first one to admit he's not the fastest or shiftiest WR on the team. We don't throw it to Darks, or Money, or Shontrelle for that matter. We did throw one to Shontrellle in the NIU game and he gained 11 yds on it. But hey... lets don't go back to that one again! Plus, these throws are just too easy for AA to make... so why not make him stand in the pocket and look downfield for something much more difficult?

I'm sorry... I don't understand this offense at all! Nothing about it makes sense. Like someone else mentioned... what is our offensive identity? Are we fast paced? No... we are no huddle, but not fast paced. Sometimes we are, sometimes not. But since nobody really knows... we get all kinds of false start penalties. I just don't get it?

We need to get the ball more to Money and Shontrelle. Or are we going to wait till next year?

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

I really wish we would start throwing to open up the run game, not running to opening throwing. Obviously not working.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson10 View Post
    I really wish we would start throwing to open up the run game, not running to opening throwing. Obviously not working.
    You mean the running lanes are not there this year?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

could have done better if we put more that 6 in the box

Hooray for Metaphors!

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,671
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

money played pretty well in the spring game, but can someone elaborate why he is becoming the next bo williams?

btw, why isn't bo williams getting carries?

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    You mean the running lanes are not there this year?

That is fairly obvious.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm sorry... I don't understand this offense at all! Nothing about it makes sense. Like someone else mentioned... what is our offensive identity? Are we fast paced? No... we are no huddle, but not fast paced. Sometimes we are, sometimes not. But since nobody really knows... we get all kinds of false start penalties.
    THIS. I just don't get this offense. Everyone wants to blame Arnaud, but the truth is Arnaud played just find in his one year under Chiz. The offense needs to adapt to the players that are in the system...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

I went and looked at the box scores of KSU's first 3 games now and here's what you get...

I looked at TOTAL OFFENSE...

KSU- 377 yds
    UCLA- 313 yds

KSU- 493 yds
    Missouri State- 447 yds

KSU- 366 yds
    ISU- 293 yds

We actually held KSU to its lowest total offensive numbers yet this year. Plus, our defense scored 7 pts. We also held KSU to it's lowest point total yet this year as well. So as ugly as our defense looked, they still gave us a shot at winning the game. You can't ask a whole lot more than that from a defense that lost so many starters.

But what also sticks out big time is our offensive numbers compared to what UCLA and Missouri State put up on this bad KSU defense. We put up the least yds... and points too, especially when you consider our offense only accounted for 13 pts today.

So... when is someone going to be held accountable for the performance of this offense? It's Tom Herman's job... period. If you can't get it done with AA as your QB, then it's your job to find someone else that can. And if AA isn't suited for this offense, then why are we running it? Why do something that you don't have the right players for?

Going into that last drive, Arnaud had 93 yds passing. Seriously.... 93 yds. And that is in Tom Herman's "high powered, no huddle, 100% shotgun" offense. Are you all as impressed as me?

We threw one WR swing pass against Iowa, and we scored a TD. We threw 3 today I think, all to probably our slowest WR (which is another issue), and they all gained nearly 10 yds. We never once went deep on Iowa, but did it twice today. The first time, we got a 15 yd PI penalty on KSU. The second time, ARob beat his man by about 10 yds and AA couldn't hit him. Other than that... the same old crap plays all day long.

Are we a spread attack? No... not really. We've given up on the WR/RB swing and screen passes which spread defenses out side to side... and we rarely throw really deep to spread teams out vertically.

Are we a power running team? Sometimes we are, but then when it's working, we usually abandon it.

Are we an option team? Again... sometimes.

We just are almost every kind of style you can think of... and so in the end we aren't very good at any of them. It's also why we look so confused all the time. It's why we have all kinds of stupid penalties. I just don't get it?
    Actually I agree. So far Herman has really struggled in the red zone as well. Just no identity, no flow, and it seems like to get rhythm we need to get a couple first downs, but we can't get first downs without rhythm...so we really can never get it going very well. We really struggle with the slant routes and with getting balls knocked down. Penalties hurt us a lot today. I don't mind throwing that WR swing to Jake because he catches the damn thing and can do something with it. It does seem like we take too long to get in a rhythm, and we abandon the running game too quickly at times, today we could have pounded it more I thought. I really don't think K State could have stopped our ground game. But again penalties really put us in some bad spots on a couple drives. Clearly Herman has a gameplan but it does seem like we are really struggling on offense right now.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't put all the blame on the offense. They lack playmakers at the WR position. That forces us to grind out the clock with the running game.

Our defense also gives up such long scoring drives that they limit the number of total possessions in the game. I felt the better team (K-State) won today and I was impressed that we even had a chance to win or tie at the end of the game.

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

It wasn't all AA's fault. Herman continues to put him in bad situations IMO.

Also... Brayden Burris got owned nearly all game long today. On AA's last fumble, that was all Brayden's fault. He got beat REAL bad. Our entire OL has not performed up to expectations at all thus far.

Prospect Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

K-State had 5 scoring drives and 4 non-scoring drives.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    K-State had 5 scoring drives and 4 non-scoring drives.
    One was only a non-scoring drive because of that dopey fake FG call. It was a very make-able FG situation, so it was realistically 6 scoring drives and 3 non-scoring drives. However, we did also give them a very short field with that AA fumble, but they still turned it into points.