Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: OT: Knocked Up

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 95,211, Level: 96
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,698
    Points
    95,211
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    OT: Knocked Up

    By request I'm putting my blog entry as a forum topic. Bound to get some good discussion from it I'm sure...

    So I saw the movie Knocked Up Saturday night (btw $9 for a movie is getting out of hand lately!) and was a pretty funny movie. It is 2 hrs 25 mins long I believe but the first hour or so really flies by so wasn't so bad. But here's the kicker that really bothered me...

    There were about 10-15 or so kids there, not sure how old but I would say they would have been pushing 6th or 7th grade at the most. Well this movie is probably one of the most vulgar things I have watched in a LONG time. We are talking the f-bomb dropped nearly every other sentence, lots of pot smoking and referances to drugs, and some sex scenes and even 1 scene showing the crowning of the baby's head during birth. Lots of mature and vulgar jokes as well to go with the language. Definately lives up to it's R rating and then some.

    While none of that bothered me watching as an adult, whoever had the bright idea to bring a group of kids to see this should have been taken out back and beaten. If those were my kids (btw I do not have any but will some day) I'd be PO'd at the parents that took them to that movie. I know they had some adult supervision there that got them in as some lady was talking to them while they were getting seated but it looked like maybe 1 set of parents brought the group from what I could tell and makes me wonder if they informed these kids parents which movie they were going to see and if they all consented would be another shocker. I heard about how bad all this was from a co-worker and was expecting it so it's not like they probably hadn't heard the same as well somewhere I bet.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 57,600, Level: 74
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,129
    Points
    57,600
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 45

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    I hear you man. There was a young kid (10 or so) in the theater when I saw South Park: The Movie. Some parents need to get a clue...or at least stand up to their kids once in a while.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 51,127, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,541
    Points
    51,127
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    I don't see how seeing a movie like this will affect kids all that much. I saw "Boyz in the Hood" at a young age and I don't sit around on my front porch drinking 40's all day and gang bangin a night.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 339,963, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,072
    Points
    339,963
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    I agree that parents should not be taking kids to these movies. It's just absurd. Yet, the kids will see the previews and beg, scream, pout about not getting to see it - some parents just give in. Other times, I'm sure it's a selfish parent that would rather subject their kids to movies like this rather than watching Shrek 3.

    Having said that - in the previews of this movie I didn't get the sense it would be like that - other than knowing who the lead male actor was and some of the movies he's done in the past. Otherwise, I thought it would be a good comedy with some of the adult things you'd see in that type of a movie.

    Perhaps movie-makers should start producing a swear card that is held at the ticket counter. It would list the naughty words/phrases that are said in the movie with a number next to each - tallying the total times it is said. It could also list private body parts that are exposed with a similar number with them.

    Then again, the same parents that brought their kids to this movie would probably be the same parents that wouldn't bother looking at this card, even if it was offered to them.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,858, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,292
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    SuperCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Posts
    3,883
    Points
    49,858
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    My wife and I went to see it a few weeks ago and couldn't have been more annoyed. We enjoyed the movie but would have liked to opened up a can on the people around us.

    We were sitting there and a young couple came in and sat right in front of us. Maybe right out of high school or early college. Anyway, anytime the
    "f-bomb" was dropped they would kiss. ANNOYING. I wanted to kick them in the back of the head. "Ooops sorry, didn't mean to do that."

    Then there was a gaggle of girls behind us. It has been confrimed by CyGal that "gaggle" is a correct term in this situation. Anyway, they were sitting there talking during the whole movie. "Oh, how could he do that?" or "They're perfect for each other." OK, a) shut up!! There are other people that are trying to enjoy themselves. b) "They're perfect for each other?" WHAT!?!?!?! They are characters in a movie. They are fictional. That means that they are not real. Look it up.

    What's with the people that check their cell phones for calls or for the time.
    Turn it off. I doubt that you are so important that you need to take a call on a Sunday afternoon. If you are, then maybe you should be at the office closing your million dollar deal.

    Why do people decide to take calls in the middle of the movie. Again, you ARE NOT that important. Unless you are a surgeon and on call then turn it off. Considering we were in Pleasant Hill I'm guessing you're not a brain surgeon.

    Lastly, we were walking out and there was a 8 year old boy with his parents. Come on. You've got to be kidding me. Are his parents that selfish that they need to bring Jr along. Here's an idea, GET A BABYSITTER!!!!
    If you can't find one then DON'T GO!!!! Stay at home. I would think that they will have some explaining to do once the movie is over.

    Other than that, it was a good movie.



    What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

  6. #6
    Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CyGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    2,753
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Perhaps movie-makers should start producing a swear card that is held at the ticket counter. It would list the naughty words/phrases that are said in the movie with a number next to each - tallying the total times it is said. It could also list private body parts that are exposed with a similar number with them.

    Then again, the same parents that brought their kids to this movie would probably be the same parents that wouldn't bother looking at this card, even if it was offered to them.
    Maybe they could create a internet site that lists every actor that gets naked, which body parts are shown and for how long those particular parts are shown.....
    Oh wait... didn't someone already do this?



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 389,768, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,849
    Points
    389,768
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 590
    Given: 426

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    Well, i agree. When i went to the 300 there were kids there between 4 and 10. Will they grow up to kill people or be violent? Probably not, but they still shouldnt have to be subjected to this stuff so early. It has its effects on all people in some way, but i think kids probably the most. I really dont want my kids being desensitized at such a young age.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 452,837, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,746
    Points
    452,837
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 39

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    I saw "Boyz in the Hood" at a young age and I don't sit around on my front porch drinking 40's all day.
    Ohh man... I was gonna come over so I don't have to sit on my porch and do that all weekend anymore. The neighbors are starting to get freaked out.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,858, Level: 69
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,292
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    SuperCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Posts
    3,883
    Points
    49,858
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Having said that - in the previews of this movie I didn't get the sense it would be like that - other than knowing who the lead male actor was and some of the movies he's done in the past. Otherwise, I thought it would be a good comedy with some of the adult things you'd see in that type of a movie.
    I think that if someone had seen The 40 Year Old Virgin then they'd have a pretty good idea of what was going to be in this movie. Plus, it was a movie about the results of a one night stand. Nothing but adult humor.



    What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 339,963, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,072
    Points
    339,963
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    Quote Originally Posted by CyGal View Post
    Maybe they could create a internet site that lists every actor that gets naked, which body parts are shown and for how long those particular parts are shown.....
    Oh wait... didn't someone already do this?
    Reminded me of this deleted scene...someone posted it in a different Knocked Up thread a week or so ago. Definitely funny and yet epitomizes the movie (it's rating), plus some...

    [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=yZRom_Lp5kw]YouTube - What Was Missing in Brokeback Mountain[/ame]



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 95,637, Level: 96
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,152
    Points
    95,637
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 141

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    I don't know if this is just a recent phenomenon or if it's something that has been going on for a while now, but these days I feel that there are a lot of parents, who, frankly, don't know how to or care about being good parents.

    That's a judgement call on my part. I'm not even married, so maybe it's arrogant for me to sit in judgement. But, I see stories and anecdotes like this, and then I read about the two mothers in Ohio who left their 5 kids all under the age of 8 home by themselves to subsequently all die in a fire, and all together it makes me seriously think that parents should have to get a license to legally have kids.

    I know that's a far out statement and quite extreme, but I'm 100% serious when I write it. Think about it. You have to have a license to legally drive, hunt, fish, etc., but any crackhead, meth-addict, irresponsible idiot can give birth with no fear of consequence and then mistreat, neglect, beat, etc. their kids. Something about that just isn't right.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 339,963, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,072
    Points
    339,963
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCy View Post
    My wife and I went to see it a few weeks ago and couldn't have been more annoyed. We enjoyed the movie but would have liked to opened up a can on the people around us.

    We were sitting there and a young couple came in and sat right in front of us. Maybe right out of high school or early college. Anyway, anytime the
    "f-bomb" was dropped they would kiss. ANNOYING. I wanted to kick them in the back of the head. "Ooops sorry, didn't mean to do that."

    Then there was a gaggle of girls behind us. It has been confrimed by CyGal that "gaggle" is a correct term in this situation. Anyway, they were sitting there talking during the whole movie. "Oh, how could he do that?" or "They're perfect for each other." OK, a) shut up!! There are other people that are trying to enjoy themselves. b) "They're perfect for each other?" WHAT!?!?!?! They are characters in a movie. They are fictional. That means that they are not real. Look it up.

    What's with the people that check their cell phones for calls or for the time.
    Turn it off. I doubt that you are so important that you need to take a call on a Sunday afternoon. If you are, then maybe you should be at the office closing your million dollar deal.

    Why do people decide to take calls in the middle of the movie. Again, you ARE NOT that important. Unless you are a surgeon and on call then turn it off. Considering we were in Pleasant Hill I'm guessing you're not a brain surgeon.

    Lastly, we were walking out and there was a 8 year old boy with his parents. Come on. You've got to be kidding me. Are his parents that selfish that they need to bring Jr along. Here's an idea, GET A BABYSITTER!!!!
    If you can't find one then DON'T GO!!!! Stay at home. I would think that they will have some explaining to do once the movie is over.

    Other than that, it was a good movie.
    Man, I loved this post!

    Theaters should have two for each movie...labeled...

    - I'm hear to watch the movie.

    - I'm hear to be a loud, annoying drain on society tonight.

    Each of the fools you mentioned would've been herded like cattle into the latter theater.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 75,488, Level: 85
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,062
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,525
    Points
    75,488
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 945

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    I guess I don't see a problem with the kids there, I went to movies that had swearing and nudity in them when I was younger.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 339,963, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,072
    Points
    339,963
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    all together it makes me seriously think that parents should have to get a license to legally have kids.

    I know that's a far out statement and quite extreme, but I'm 100% serious when I write it. Think about it. You have to have a license to legally drive, hunt, fish, etc., but any crackhead, meth-addict, irresponsible idiot can give birth with no fear of consequence and then mistreat, neglect, beat, etc. their kids. Something about that just isn't right.
    It's very hard to disagree with that argument.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 389,768, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,849
    Points
    389,768
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 590
    Given: 426

    Re: OT: Knocked Up

    I saw violent and graphic stuff myself when i was younger. Some of it stuck with me a long time. It didnt make me into something bad, but not everyone is effected the same way. I became desensitized to extent. Why doesnt this stuff bother me I ask. I dunno, its just weird. As for the parents of today, I agree. there seems to be alot more of them who dont care to raise their kids. They are same ones who blame everyone else when their kids get into trouble, or sue over stupid things. Maybe there are just more stupid people out there now.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM