Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Gary Barta's first year rated

Here is an online poll taken from the CR Gazette.

Nearly 40% disappointed or not sure. Seems like a lot...

I wonder what Pollard's would have been...

--------------------------------

How would you rate Gary Barta in his first year as the University of Iowa athletics director?
    GREAT 20.7%
    OK 39.7%
    DISAPPOINTING 16.5%
    NOT SURE 23.1%
    Number of votes cast: 242.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 9

Re: Gary Barta's first year rated

Well he got rid of Alford, so fans will give him that. Not sure what else he really had done... But alford seemed like Iowa's only problem.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Poll of 242 people. Can't really draw anything from that.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think he is a not sure

Got rid of Alford for free is huge

Everything else is just there, he needs to increase basketball ticket sales football will be sold out.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

Who is Barta again? Oh, that's right, he's that guy over on the east side of the state, trying to find a way out of Jamie Pollard's huge shadow.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Iowa's big donors dont want someone like Pollard they want someone who low key and doesnt need the spotlight.

Getting rid or Alford free was a great move.

He will be judged on licklighters performance and basketball ticket sales.

He is also raising millions to update Carver. He will be judged by that not what Marty and Miller typed think.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Cyclonepride--you have 10 seconds, name the AD at Texas, Florida, Michigan, USC and North Carolina.

You can't do it? I think the point made that can made from that exercise is that the AD in most collegiate athletic departments are not "out there."

I am not bashing Pollard, but I highly doubt that anyone other than Clone or Iowa fans know who this guy is. Also, I don't think you can equate being in the newspaper as being a success. Pollard will be judged in about 4 more years.

mvsta

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

AD's arent out there? I guess I can't speak for where you are from, but in the midwest AD's are very "out there". They are the face of athletics.... Do you mean to tell me you have never head of Pederson, Alvarez, or Alden?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    AD's arent out there? I guess I can't speak for where you are from, but in the midwest AD's are very "out there". They are the face of athletics.... Do you mean to tell me you have never head of Pederson, Alvarez, or Alden?
    I understand what you are saying...but AD's are not the face of athletics...head football and basketball coaches are! Alvarez? That one shouldn't count at all...how about asking people to name the AD at Wisconsin PRIOR to Alvarez...

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mvsta View Post
    Cyclonepride--you have 10 seconds, name the AD at Texas, Florida, Michigan, USC and North Carolina.

You can't do it? I think the point made that can made from that exercise is that the AD in most collegiate athletic departments are not "out there."

I am not bashing Pollard, but I highly doubt that anyone other than Clone or Iowa fans know who this guy is. Also, I don't think you can equate being in the newspaper as being a success. Pollard will be judged in about 4 more years.

mvsta

I agree, the only AD's that people know about are the ones at major schools, or their own.

The point is that Barta, while his initial time at Iowa has been pretty low key (which is actually what you want for your athletic department), his track record at Wyoming was nothing spectacular. And at a school like Wyoming, much like Iowa State, you need to have a face to lead your athletic programs.

Jamie, for all of his faults that Hawk fans (like yourself) like to point out, has done something that no other AD has done in modern Iowa State history....he has drawn attention to the Cyclones. He has been a very public leader in the battle against "little brother syndrome" that has been ingrained into the fanbase over the years (by the media, and Hawk fans).

There is no reason that Iowa State has to take a backseat to anybody, that is his message. Iowa fans don't like it because he is confrontational. Iowa fans don't like it because he doesn't "know his role."

Iowa State was perfect for Iowa fans before. No money, a coach that tied his employment to beating Iowa (allowing the super bowl talk), and enough questionable character in the coaches that it forced the fans to sit and take it. In the span of two years, he has cleaned house, hired coaches that have excited the fans, and raised more money than Iowa State ever has. He took a stand for the long term benefit of the athletic department, and sold more season football tickets than ever before.

Barta has not had to do any of this, so we don't know how effective he would be in this area. However, I think that the energizing of the Cyclone fans has aided him, because it has made enough of the redneck Hawks, the ones that never even thought about college, mad. And, in turn, their season ticket sales are up as well. I think that he should thank Jamie for Iowa State treating Iowa like the disliked fanbase they are around the conference (and country), in the state. It's helped him sell tickets.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Well he got rid of Alford, so fans will give him that. Not sure what else he really had done... But alford seemed like Iowa's only problem.

How did Barta get rid of Alford?

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    I understand what you are saying...but AD's are not the face of athletics...head football and basketball coaches are! Alvarez? That one shouldn't count at all...how about asking people to name the AD at Wisconsin PRIOR to Alvarez...

Ok, so coaches are the face of athletics... Your right on that call, I should have used a different term. For all AD's do, they only really make press when they hire coaches. Doesn't happen all that often. Ill be willing to bet that Pollard is one of the more well known AD's in the big12 though with the way he has been sticking his neck out to the big12 for Iowa States sake. His opinions have been very unpopular with the larger schools and has gotten alot of press.

Oh, and honestly, I didn't know much about Alverez before he became AD... It was big news around the country when he took that gig... So you could make an argument that he effectively garnered additional fame by becoming AD... Did anyone know he used to coach Iowa high school football?

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

He let Alford know he had one year left. He actually went on the radio and let it be known Alford had one year left to proove himself.

Alford got scared and jumped to a school in a smaller conference. Like CBS said he beat the possey out of town.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 17

Now if barta is a good AD, he will get rid of Lida Bluder and hire a real womens bball coach. i dont care for womens bball, unless the players are HOT, but i know that Lee is not good!
    He's go a good payin gig at Iowa now, youd think that he'd get that grill fixed. I just turned 29 and i get my braces off in 2 months, it's never too late Gar-.

Last edited by ripvdub; 07-21-2007 at 09:57 PM.
    #BEATIOWA

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Now if barta is a good AD, he will get rid of Angie Lee and hire a real womens bball coach. i dont care for womens bball, unless the players are HOT, but i know that Lee is not good!
    He's go a good payin gig at Iowa now, youd think that he'd get that grill fixed. I just turned 29 and i get my braces off in 2 months, it's never too late Gar-.
    Angie Lee has not been at Iowa for quite some time, but your point still stands. Bluder needs to improve the program this year or next. She is on a fairly short leash I think, but not necessarily a "one year" short leash.