Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 137

Cap City league. Sunday-6/24

Im gonna leave here for the games in a lil bit, but how many people are usually there? Ive never been to one, itll be nice to get my "fix" in, since nothing else ISU has gone on in a while. Ill try and take some pics, but i see if i can get anything worth a darn.

#BEATIOWA

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Cap City league. Sunday-6/24

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Im gonna leave here for the games in a lil bit, but how many people are usually there? Ive never been to one, itll be nice to get my "fix" in, since nothing else ISU has gone on in a while. Ill try and take some pics, but i see if i can get anything worth a darn.
    ... thanks for going ripvdub .... looking forward to your observations ...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 295

Im going in a bit too.. Never that big of a crowd. You will enjoy. Just expect Big 12 Bball. Expect a pickup game, so enjoy highlights and ignore when the fundamentals arent there.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

ill be there

ISU ROCKS!!!!

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JHutch View Post
    ill be there
    Just got back. Saw the first game and half of the second game. Initial observation - Taylor is a ballhog, Wesley dominates and Haluska out hustles everyone.

More to come.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,539
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 137

I saw about 1 half of each game, we left in the middle to grab some Red Robin, that place ROCKS!

Taylor- he was late, didnt see much of him
    Brackins- Ditto, not as tall as i hoped.
    Brister- Played well, nice passer, pick up ball fits his wreckless style
    Huluska- nice player, good verticle on his jumper, good athlete
    Wesley- Good all around game
    Boozer- carrying a Louis Vitton backpack, nothing great, nothing terrible
    Jiri- shot too many 3's got into it with a player from Drake
    Thompson- Played alright, has good size
    Garrett- He blew me away, he should be our starting PG.
    Rahshon- Veteran, he knows what hes doing out there
    Staiger- Lots of mistakes, but is fundamentally sound. Just bad passes
    Vette - no show
    Brock- no show

Weiben and several other girls players looked good!

#BEATIOWA

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 430
    Given: 305

Redshirt for Vette?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Diante. He's got a high ceiling.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Game one

Taylor was a man among boys. Took it to the rack at will. Had some very nice passes and actually passed MUCH more tonight than last season during this league (looked for Brackins often). Taylor also plays the with the most effort on D maybe in the entire league. Brackins showed some good flashes of athleticism with some dunks and a GREAT shooting touch (showed the Welsey J stepback J a couple times). Brackins did get worked in the post on one occasion when he was out muscled by a big man from Simpson College and it basically knocked him off the block. Needs muscle. Cory Johnson looked ok, plays hard had a tough night finishing over the taller Brackins. Josh Young the PG from Drake is good.... Really good. He would have started for us last year or this year.

Game 2
    Wesley was Wesley. Couple nice dunks, blocks, and showed his famous stepback J. Haluska LOVES to shoot. WOW. Basically fires them up like the older brother does non-stop, but doesnt fake getting fouled on each shot (thank God). Boozer had some nice dunks and showed some athleticism, but had a really off night shooting. Brister showed some really nice passing skills and good ball handling, but was a poor finisher. Didnt shoot that much. Built to a good size (think Dodie size).

Game 3

Only watched the first half.
    Diante looked like a VERY relaxed ball handler. Think Mike Taylor with the ball then the total opposite. Very smooth. Needs bulk though. Had some really nice takes and dishes. Has that slow apperance on the court, but is surprisingly quick (like Tinsley for that matter). Jiri got in a scrum with some HUGE guy from Drake. Otherwise nothing too great from Jiri in the first half. Alex Thompson was bigger than imagined. Has really nice post moves. Will definetely see many minutes. Clark was the same ole guy. Did a great job of meeting with all the new players as the night went along. Missed every 3 in the first half.

Several other walkons played tonight and I didnt mention them. Nothing to really mention on their behalf.

Harrison Barnes (Cyclone recruit) looked good. Playing with D1 caliber guys when you are a soph in HS is tough and he did well. Missed one really nice dunk. Has a nice stroke from 3. Should turn out to be a fine recruit. I talked to one of his Iowa Attack teammates and was told Harrison has verbaled to ISU.

Last edited by ajk4st8; 06-24-2007 at 10:54 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

my favorite sequences of the night was when Jiri would fire up a 3 and then Garrett would get the rebound for the put-back under the basket..........

I wonder if Jiri and the Drake guy (Alex White) will remember their little tussle when they play each other in the ISU-Drake game?

Thompson also fired up a few three's (did like his size - glad we got him).

Steiger didn't seem to be having the best night, but I think the guy still looks impressive from a bball fundamentals standpoint.

Rookie
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

That would be awesome if we could get a verbal from Barnes before all the big names start calling!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Barnes sat with the ISU grad assistant coaches Peterson and Crawford the whole night when he wasn't playing. His teammate said he verballed to us when I talked to him about 2 weeks ago.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

My observations based on the first game and half of the second game.

Haluska has great elevation on his jumper and hustles on both ends of the court. Not sure how many points he had, but was by far the scoring leader at half time. Boozer was trying to guard him and was unable to stop him. Sean will see the floor this year. Sorry Brock, get used to the pine. Haluska took a lot of shots, but he was making them.

Brister had several sweet passes and was an unselfish player. Didn't appear to be much of a shooter, after a couple 8 foot misses, he looked to pass even when he was open close in. He does have some size for a PG. He had a nice drive and dish to Welsey for a dunk.

Welsey - da man. Stroked three's, dunked, rebounded. He did show up late and I left at half time, but he was by far the best player out there. He is smooth as silk. He had some sweet dunks.

Boozer - missed shots, was trying to make the last play at the half and the opposing guard stole the ball. He was a none factor in the first half. I was totally unimpressed with him.

Brackins - showed up with 8 minutes left in the half. Grabbed some boards, a couple blocks, ran the floor and made a three and a long two. He was high above the rim on his two dunks. He looked frustrated a couple times when Taylor didn't pass to him.

Taylor - same old frustrating to watch Mike. He had many turnovers, bad passes and didn't make an outside shot. He was a selfish player and a ball hog. There were many times when he could have dished to an open teammate, but tried to take it to the rim himself. He scored his share of points, but he had a lot of attempts.

CJ - had a solid all around game. Good D, many boards and points. I think he was the leading scorer for his team and they put up 99 points. Mr. Hustle.

The other walk ons - Pederson and Lee played okay.

Barnes - considering his age, he played okay with the big boys. I heard from someone at the game that he wants to play at ISU, but hasn't been offered. Can someone confirm his status?

I know you can't base much on one night of games in this league, especially because it is a guard's league. Tough for the big men to have a huge impact.

If Brackins is coachable, he will be a stud. GMac will be a good coach for him to learn from. May be tough for Boozer to see the court, maybe should red shirt. Brister may get some time, but it will be limited.

Can't wait to go again.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Watched all but the 2nd half of the last game and some things that stick out in my mind: Haluska absolutely owned Boozer on both ends. Boozer looks like a head case. Haluska will help us. Brackins looked pretty good at times after getting into the flow in the second half (same for Brister-must have something to do with showing up halfway through the 1st half). Wes was Wes, Rashon looks like a great guy and a great teammate but his shots are just not falling. Diante could really slash to the basket but he must weigh about 120 lbs. Juri played better when he got mad, Thompson had some nice post moves and didn't look afraid to bang down low. After watching Steiger for about 30 seconds you could tell this kid is a player. Much quicker and more athletic than I thought with a high bball IQ. He will be much better in the structured environment of the team. Overall, I think we have some pretty good talent (albeit young) and I look for the team to be much improved over last year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How is Taylor a ball hog and Haluska just a great scorer? Haluska hustles? I wouldnt put him in my top 5 hustlers in the cap city league but ok.

I dont recall Haluska dishing the ball one time, although Taylor dropped many dimes.

I guess I am personally not a Taylor hater. I personally think its amazing watching Mike. He was the best player on the floor on any of the 6 teams again tonight.