Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Minnesota

I cant believe we hardly beat these guys last year. Who wants to bet that they cant stay within 30 points against USC this week.

Minnesota Football - Golden Gophers News, Scores, Videos - College Football - ESPN

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlooded View Post
    I cant believe we hardly beat these guys last year. Who wants to bet that they cant stay within 30 points against USC this week.

Minnesota Football - Golden Gophers News, Scores, Videos - College Football - ESPN
    Yeah, I mean because everyone that was on their roster last year is on it this year. Same exact team. Wait...

But really though, Brewster is a joke.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 28

Yep, that was last year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 646
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

im fully aware that the game was last year and im sure there are differences in the roster. but still.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

im fully aware that the game was last year and im sure there are differences in the roster. but still.
    So what about the difference between our 2010-11 basketball team and the team we all hope/think we may have in 2011-12? Same school, one year apart, entirely different expectations.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 377

Yeah, I can't believe that in 2002 we were at one point 6-1 with a top 10 ranking, finished the season 7-7, and in 2003 we went 2-10 and were lucky to win the two games that we did win...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Sadly, for all the fans of teams that beat up on the Gophers, this will likely be Brewster's final year. Unless he can turn it around...which given last weeks performance, and this year's schedule, will be hard to do.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 51

I was @ the stadium last Saturday and you could literally feel the manifestation of "the silence is deafening" most of the second half.

Problem with Brewster was he talked extremely big when he got hired that he'd take the Gophers to the Rose Bowl, etc. Now they have a senior quarterback and the offense should be good because this is Brewster's recruiting class as he has already compiled 4 seasons.

Well, even Ted Roof preferred Chizik to Brewster :)

U is having a problem: the President is retiring next year and the AD (Maturi) has been widely critized for hiring Brewster and Tubby (who hasn't shown anything yet as of now). But sometimes the situation reminds me of our situation: fans wanted something more - that's why they canned Glen Mason - and is this what they get ? New stadium with an inferior product ?

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    I was @ the stadium last Saturday and you could literally feel the manifestation of "the silence is deafening" most of the second half.

Problem with Brewster was he talked extremely big when he got hired that he'd take the Gophers to the Rose Bowl, etc. Now they have a senior quarterback and the offense should be good because this is Brewster's recruiting class as he has already compiled 4 seasons.

U is having a problem: the President is retiring next year and the AD (Maturi) has been widely critized for hiring Brewster and Tubby (who hasn't shown anything yet as of now). But sometimes the situation reminds me of our situation: fans wanted something more - that's why they canned Glen Mason - and is this what they get ? New stadium with an inferior product ?
    This.

Brewster should have his recruits setup in his system by now. Instead, they've been stuck in a rut, and seem to be incapable of finding any sort of rhythm. He's also had issues off the field.

In 2007, in Brewster's first year, the Gophers went 1-11. It was understandable as it was a coach's first year and usually teams do poorly when coaches and systems change. Plus, if they had won 50% of their close games (games decided by fewer than 7 points), they would have finished the year at 3 to 4 wins. Not fantastic, but still.

In 2008, things looked great, as they jumped out to a 7-1 season, before losing their four conference games, along with their bowl game. This included a 55-0 drubbing at the hands of the Hawkeyes in their final game at the Dome.

In 2009, they didn't have a hot streak going, but they could never beat the better teams in the conference, losing to Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU and Penn State.

This year, they started off okay, with a close win against Middle Tennessee State, but lost an absolute shocker to FCS opponent South Dakota. And now they'll face USC, OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Nortwestern and Iowa.

On top of this, they've yet to win a single trophy (be it a rivalry trophy or a bowl game trophy). They've had close losses to Wisconsin, and been held scoreless against Iowa the past two games. They lost the Little Brown Jug to Michigan, and thanks to the rotation, might not get to play "bad Michigan". They also haven't been able to win the Governor's Bell against PSU. All in all, they just can win "the big games".

It should be noted, however, that Brewster and Gophers also have to contend with several hot years for the Big Ten. OSU and PSU were dominant early in Brewster's career, but Iowa and Wisconsin have been on the rise. Northwestern is showing a glimmer of hope, Purdue was just a few wins away from a bowl last year and Michigan is perhaps on the rise, or very close to it. Michigan State is always dangerous, and are themselves close to breaking into the 'upper tier'. Nebraska will be coming in next year. Not good news for the Gophers.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post

And Mason was doing a decent job correct? Wasn't his firing kind of a head scratcher? I didn't know Minn fans were unhappy w/ Tubby.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,110
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

I will be betting that Minn covers the spread. The USC D has let teams play with them this year and the offense they had against VA wasn't that special. I don't expect MN to win but the spread is looking like a decent bet.

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,094
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 46

The Gophers lost a bunch of really good defensive player last year, I think a couple are in the NFL now. Also lost a couple of outstanding receivers. They were much better last year than this year, as they appear to be on a train wreck course now. Surprising how poorly Brewster has been there. I think he actually had a top 20 recruiting class in there somewhere.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    And Mason was doing a decent job correct? Wasn't his firing kind of a head scratcher? I didn't know Minn fans were unhappy w/ Tubby.
    He was fired because he wasn't taking Minnesota to 'the next level'. They were going to bowls, but had only won 3. They also placed no higher than tied for 4th in the Big 10.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 51

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Compared to Brewster, Mason is doing a great job LOL.
    Minny's athletic budget is still one of the smallest in the Big 10 (according to Sid Hartman, long time Startribune columnist, the football spending is actually the last in the big 10). Mason knew how to do things: schedule cupcakes in the first 4 games to get ranked in the top 25. beat Purdue and/or Indiana and/or Northwestern and hopefully get something against the others. Of course it doesn't make sense in the long run: people are tired of going to toilet bowls but if the fans have the choice, they might want Mason back in a second.

With Tubby: he hasn't really delivered yet. With his massive salary and constant rumor of him going to another school, it gets tiresome. Rumors that have been circulating are he wants a new practice facility but he'll have to wait for baseball facility.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

How many batteries does it take to shock a Gopher fan?

Just 1 AA.

Much funnier when it isn't about us.