Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The troubles with the Big Ten Network

Ryan Suchomel of the Iowa City Press-Citizen just wrote a rather good editorial about the fight between the Big Ten (Network) and Comcast. It's about the BTN, but you could just as easily fill in the Big Twelve Network into the article, and it wouldn't change. I'm all for getting a better TV deal than the rather crappy (and heavily biased) one we have now, but I don't think a conference TV channel is the way to go, and this column explains why.

It's a good read, but I have to pull this quote out in particular. Not because it's terribly relevant to the debate as a whole (it's the pivot point of this particular editorial, but I don't think it's that important) but because it is a very honorable, Midwestern thing to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Press-Citizen
    In their release, Comcast said, "Indiana basketball fans don't want to watch Iowa volleyball, but the Big Ten wants everyone to pay for their new network."
    To which Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany shot back: "In the Midwest, when you're talking about a women's sports team, you talk about them with respect. They're not second tier."
    Big Ten or not, I have a lot of respect for that commissioner just for saying that. Again, it's not super relevant in the grand scheme of things, and I really don't agree with the columnist's appraisal of the six tiers of importance, but it's a good read, and can get you thinking about the troubles of a network like this, and maybe ways we could avoid or solve those if, down the line, we get our own network, too.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

Re: The troubles with the Big Ten Network

I don't want to get in a ******* match here, but I have to agree with comcast. Turn it around, I have no interest in watching NU womens soccer on TV. I would watch volleyball because it is a sport I love. But Comcast has a point, other than football games and mens basketball, no one outside of the local area will watch the other sports.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Sorry, but the Big 11 commissioner is an a-hole. He's not just out there selling the network, he's making it "basic cable package or nothing" and shoving it down everyone's throats. I hope that Comcast tells him to stick it. They'll eventually cave, though as will Mediacom. And that's all money in the Big 11's pockets. I gotta say, the guy does have business sense...he's going to get $1.15 a customer for cable companies in the Midwest, but he drops the rate way down outside of big 11 territory.

As for second tier, if iowa women's volleyball isn't second tier, what is?? I'd put them about fifth tier.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

I agree, I saw this coming from a mile away when the Big Ten network was first introduced. What games get shown over the others? What determines when games are shown? This isn't like ABC where there's regional coverage based on where you live. It sounds like to me that the Big Ten saw this exclusive network as a good idea to have all to themselves, but then realized they're crammed into the same tiny room as 10 other universities wanting all their teams televised.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by bmuff View Post
    As for second tier, if iowa women's volleyball isn't second tier, what is?? I'd put them about fifth tier.
    Here is how I rank it:

Tier 1 - Football
    Tier 2 - Mens Basketball
    Tier 3 - Womens basketball, Wrestling, Mens Hockey
    Tier 4 - Everything else
    Tier 5 - Nascar j/k

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Here is how I rank it:

Tier 1 - Football
    Tier 2 - Mens Basketball
    Tier 3 - Womens basketball, Wrestling, Mens Hockey
    Tier 4 - Everything else
    Tier 5 - Nascar j/k
    You have nascar way too high.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

While the Big 10's commissioner made a line that sounds good, it's just a PR thing. What would his rebuttal have been if Comcast said that Indiana basketball fans don't want to watch Iowa men's soccer? The fact that it was a woman's sport wasn't the main point.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, Iowa's VB team is terrible, but that's not the point. They may not play well, but they still deserve respect as student-athletes. Just because they're not male football players doesn't make them less worthy. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    What would his rebuttal have been if Comcast said that Indiana basketball fans don't want to watch Iowa men's soccer? The fact that it was a woman's sport wasn't the main point.
    I'm well aware of that, which is why I said the exact same thing three times in the space of 100 words. I know that wasn't the point. As a matter of fact, the commissioner was sidestepping the question entirely. That doesn't change the fact that he stuck up for women's sports teams as a whole. I'm looking at this thing from a context without a particular school's name attached to the teams. We're not talking about Iowa FB and Iowa MBB and Iowa VB- we're talking about collegiate FB and collegiate MBB and collegiate VB. Yes, VB is a non-revenue sport. No, that does not mean that you can speak disrespectfully about non-revenue athletes. Yes, I think I agree with Comcast (at least on a national scale).

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Ok, I can respect that if you're interpreting it as a representation of all non-revenue sport athletes. From reading the quote, I took it as a women's issue.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

If People Want it They Should Pay

If fans want to watch Big 10 sports, then they should pay for it. The Big 10 network shouldn't be part of the basic package. I'd say the same if the Big 12 started the Network.

The kicker is the product won't be all that great initially. ABC already gets the pick of games it wants to televise in FB and I'm sure the same is true for MBB with ESPN/CBS. When the Iowa/Syracuse FB was cited as one of the better non-con games on the BTN- it doesn't give the product a lot of credibility.

It's already frustrating to pay $60/mo for around 70 channels in the DSM area and I probably only watch about 15 of those channels. A while back there was a discussion by the FCC forcing cable companies to offer an a la carte pricing scheme. I wish it would happen. After the 4 network channels, ESPN, TNT, USA, FX, CNN, CNBC and Comedy Central- I'm not sure I'd pay for anything.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    I know that wasn't the point. As a matter of fact, the commissioner was sidestepping the question entirely. That doesn't change the fact that he stuck up for women's sports teams as a whole.
    You bought Delany's kool-aid. He wasn't sticking up for womens sports. He twisted the Comcast spokeperson's statements to publicize the Big Ten Network. The issue is the BTN hasn't sold its product to any of the major cable companies and its 70 days til FB season starts. He just wants Big 10 fans to start contacting their cable providers and push for getting the contract signed.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Sorry, but the Big 11 commissioner is an a-hole. He's not just out there selling the network, he's making it "basic cable package or nothing" and shoving it down everyone's throats. I hope that Comcast tells him to stick it. They'll eventually cave, though as will Mediacom. And that's all money in the Big 11's pockets. I gotta say, the guy does have business sense...he's going to get $1.15 a customer for cable companies in the Midwest, but he drops the rate way down outside of big 11 territory.

OK, but wasn't everyone on here blasting holes in our conference's former commissioner for not shoving the Big 12 down everybody's throat for better TV, and better bowl alliances???

Granted, he didn't get that job done, and we were on here wishing he was more aggressive. Now the commissioner of the Big 10 is out here pushing his conference, and he is an @sshole??? I understand it's Iowa, and I hate them too, but a little perspective please.

Jeffrey A Crawford

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

This kind of reminds me of a couple years ago when the Twins started their own network, Victory Sports, and had a tough time getting cable companies to pick it up on the basic package. With two months of the season, they scrapped the network and Twins games were back on FSN North.