Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 328

Next Cubs Manager??

I saw a report today that Jim Hendry is going to interview Bob Melvin. So Hendry has now interviewed Eric Wedge, has interviewed or has not but plans to interview Freddi Gonzalez and now Melvin.

Does Hendry not want to hire Sandberg? It seems as though this process is becoming more complicated than it needs to be IF Sandberg is going to be hired. At one time I thought Sandberg had the job for sure...but now I wonder?

Last edited by cyfanatic; 09-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Next Cubs Manager??

I agree 100% with you. I had the same feeling about why Hendry is making this so complex. Logic tells me that if Hendry were going to hire Ryno, he would have done it by now. But then, I remember that Hendry is an idiot so you gotta throw logic out the window.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    I agree 100% with you. I had the same feeling about why Hendry is making this so complex. Logic tells me that if Hendry were going to hire Ryno, he would have done it by now. But then, I remember that Hendry is an idiot so you gotta throw logic out the window.
    I am a Sox fan so I don't want to come across like I am flaming the Cubs about this situation...but I like to follow baseball in general. I am actually surprised the Ricketts are allowing Hendry to stay in his position and allowing him full control over this hiring process. Good or bad...a lot of times a new ownership group will bring in a new managerial team. This family doesn't seem to want to do that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    I saw a report today that Jim Hendry is going to interview Bob Melvin. So Hendry has now interviewed Eric Wedge, has interviewed or has not but plans to interview Freddi Gonzalez and now Melvin.

Does Hendry not want to hire Sandberg? It seems as though this process is becoming more complicated than it needs to be IF Sandberg is going to be hired. At one time I thought Sandberg had the job for sure...but now I wonder?
    Hiring Sandberg would be a bad move. It's not going to look good to have to fire a franchise legend three years later, he's just not the right guy for the job.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Hiring Sandberg would be a bad move. It's not going to look good to have to fire a franchise legend three years later, he's just not the right guy for the job.
    This!!!! Do not want Ryno.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    I see where you are coming from...but it did work on the South Side. I was worried how White Sox fans would view Ozzie Guillen if they had to fire him after 3 years of 70 wins each. Fortunately for us at this point it hasn't happened.

This is a tough decision for Hendry since he might feel it is his last chance to hire someone that might just save his job in the end! He might not want to risk hiring a first-time manager.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 578
    Given: 401

My guess - if Hendry can't convince Girardi to leave the Yankees for the Cubs, it'll be Ryno.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    This!!!! Do not want Ryno.
    Agreed! Ryno was/is my favorite Cubs player and that will never change; however having to be put into a situation to fire him if things don't work out will divide the fan base, IMO.

JG is the guy for this position and by all indications I've heard, he wants the job if offered.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mkcrawford View Post
    Agreed! Ryno was/is my favorite Cubs player and that will never change; however having to be put into a situation to fire him if things don't work out will divide the fan base, IMO.

JG is the guy for this position and by all indications I've heard, he wants the job if offered.
    I know I'm going to end up taking this off topic for awhile, but can't the same argument be made for JP hiring Hoiberg? We've basically put arguably Ames' and ISU's biggest legend into a situation where he could be fired 3 years from now, and yet almost everyone was rah rahing this as a no-brainer, can't miss hire. But yet Ryno has more coaching experience than Hoiberg has. Am I missing something here?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I know I'm going to end up taking this off topic for awhile, but can't the same argument be made for JP hiring Hoiberg? We've basically put arguably Ames' and ISU's biggest legend into a situation where he could be fired 3 years from now, and yet almost everyone was rah rahing this as a no-brainer, can't miss hire. But yet Ryno has more coaching experience than Hoiberg has. Am I missing something here?
    Yes, the Cubs is a high profile job. Iowa State is not. There won't be as much pressure for Hoiberg to win right away as there will be for Ryno or anyone who the Cubs hire as their next manager. And there were a lot of fans against the hiring of Hoiberg, I know I was one.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Yes, the Cubs is a high profile job. Iowa State is not. There won't be as much pressure for Hoiberg to win right away as there will be for Ryno or anyone who the Cubs hire as their next manager. And there were a lot of fans against the hiring of Hoiberg, I know I was one.
    You should go back and reread every single MBB thread from the 2006-2007 season. By midway through the conference season people were already beginning to call for McDermott's head.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

I'm going to throw a name out there I think Hendry might contact after the season is over: Tony LaRussa. He's a free agent and has had some issues in the past few years with Cardinal management. Some think if Dusty Baker leaves Cincy for another job he'll join his old boss Walt Jocketty there. Personally if Dave Duncan comes with LaRussa that's who I want Hendry to go after. A manager with world series rings and possibly the best pitching coach in the business in Duncan. That guy has made a ton of mediocre pitchers some big paychecks!

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    I'm going to throw a name out there I think Hendry might contact after the season is over: Tony LaRussa. He's a free agent and has had some issues in the past few years with Cardinal management. Some think if Dusty Baker leaves Cincy for another job he'll join his old boss Walt Jocketty there. Personally if Dave Duncan comes with LaRussa that's who I want Hendry to go after. A manager with world series rings and possibly the best pitching coach in the business in Duncan. That guy has made a ton of mediocre pitchers some big paychecks!
    That would be an interesting hire with the Cards-Cubs rivalry! There are suggestions/rumors/writers-trying-to-stir-things-up out there that suggest LaRussa could manage the White Sox next year if Ozzie goes to the Marlins or if Ozzie and Kenny just decide their relationship is too poor to work together. I don't see that happening though...although Reinsdorf has always said his only regret as an owner was firing LaRussa! (Might I suggest a bigger regret? Allowing Jerry Krause to win the struggle between Krause and Phil Jackson which led to Jordan leaving Chicago!!)

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Honestly, I'm done with big name managers that make way too much money for any manager. I want Hendry to hire someone who isn't going to cost them a lot since managers don't make a whole lot of difference in the outcome of a game.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    My guess - if Hendry can't convince Girardi to leave the Yankees for the Cubs, it'll be Ryno.
    This is my opinion too.