Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 100,079, Level: 98
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    4,604
    Points
    100,079
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 54

    Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    David Ubben posted a piece about the Heisman, and what it takes for a player to win it. Troy Davis was featured pretty heavily, however not in a particularly good light. Apparently he didn't deserve the Heisman (I would agree with him for the '95 Heisman, but definitely not for '96).

    Heismans don't come without wins - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

    Basically says that a player has to play for a team that also wins games. Which is true these days. But Ubben also feels that's how it should be, and I strongly disagree with that. If a player is the best in the country, he's the best in the country. Just because his teammates may not hold up their end doesn't diminish how talented/productive that one player is. I wonder if Ubben ever stopped to consider that perhaps guys like Weurffel won more games because they were playing with the likes of Ike Hilliard (first round pick, WR), Reidel Anthony (first round pick, WR), Jacquez Green (second round pick, WR), Fred Taylor (first round pick, RB), Mike Peterson (second round pick, LB), and Jevon Kearse (first round pick, LB/DE)? Guess not.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,047, Level: 67
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Bubbahotep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,519
    Points
    48,047
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Ubben is a hack.


    “There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

  3. #3
    Rookie CardinalAndGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    426
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    That loud mouth out of Nebraska deserved the 1995 Heisman, if you ask me.

    It is too bad that Davis did not finish higher in the votings, because he sure was fun to watch.


    "I am so proud... I am so proud to be your football coach!" -- Paul Rhoads

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 92,255, Level: 94
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,464
    Points
    92,255
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 199

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Team success has a major impact on "most outstanding player" status. A major contributor from a high-profile team has a huge advantage because there's an assumption that the team is great because that player is elite.

    Realistically, I completely understood how Troy missed the H-Trophy because I knew ISU's record was probably going to be a deciding factor (or diminish his numbers, at least)

    But:

    1. He was the first RB in NCAA history to rush for 2,000 yds in consecutive seasons.
    2. He did that against major conference competition.
    3. He was pretty much THE offensive weapon and played on teams with bad-to-awful defenses (hence, chance of winning was even less likely).

    Ubben's sentence toward the end irks me a little:

    "Troy Davis didn't deserve the Heisman Trophy, and his team's lack of success is the biggest reason why."

    Had he written, "Davis didn't deserve the Heisman, but his team's lack of success may be the only reason." ... that seems to make more sense.


    Best in local news satire: Bass Lake Beacon

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 100,079, Level: 98
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    4,604
    Points
    100,079
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 54

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    I can't see how he didn't deserve. I mean I know why he didn't win it, but I don't think that's right. The best players don't always play for the best teams. I think that is the biggest reason why Heisman winners flop so much in the NFL, especially these days: a lot of the guys who win aren't the best players in the country.



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 12,924, Level: 34
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    WhatMeWorry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    453
    Points
    12,924
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 5

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Ubben has the benefit of hindsight with Troy and the fact that he didn't do anything in the NFL. I bet that put a cherry on the top of his opinion and if Troy would have been successful he wouldn't have been as hard on him.

    Personally I thought Troy was going to easily win it his second year running for 2000. At least it made going to games a lot more fun to watch when we were atrocious.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 152,062, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,281
    Points
    152,062
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Team success has a major impact on "most outstanding player" status. A major contributor from a high-profile team has a huge advantage because there's an assumption that the team is great because that player is elite.

    Realistically, I completely understood how Troy missed the H-Trophy because I knew ISU's record was probably going to be a deciding factor (or diminish his numbers, at least)

    But:

    1. He was the first RB in NCAA history to rush for 2,000 yds in consecutive seasons.
    2. He did that against major conference competition.
    3. He was pretty much THE offensive weapon and played on teams with bad-to-awful defenses (hence, chance of winning was even less likely).

    Ubben's sentence toward the end irks me a little:

    "Troy Davis didn't deserve the Heisman Trophy, and his team's lack of success is the biggest reason why."

    Had he written, "Davis didn't deserve the Heisman, but his team's lack of success may be the only reason." ... that seems to make more sense.
    To me, the most outstanding player puts up ridiculous numbers vs. outstanding competition which is why it would be tough to give it to a Sun Belt player, for example. Troy was in a legit league (during NU's golden age). No one will ever convince me that Troy wasn't the most outstanding player in the nation his second season rushing for 2,000 yards. I will never agree with the lack of team success argument. The Heisman Trophy is an individual award.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 63,896, Level: 78
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,416
    Points
    63,896
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    This is why there are so many Heisman trophy winner and candidates that don't do well at the pro-level. They look good in college with the cast they have around them. They are proped up by that talent and exposed when asked to stand alone or play competition that is as good.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 152,062, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,281
    Points
    152,062
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    This is why there are so many Heisman trophy winner and candidates that don't do well at the pro-level. They look good in college with the cast they have around them. They are proped up by that talent and exposed when asked to stand alone or play competition that is as good.
    To be fair, Troy wasn't a great pro but if the Heisman is going to continue be the best QB/RB on an NC contending team then they should start refering to it that way. It is not given to the most outstanding player. Suh was the most outstanding player last year.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,282, Level: 75
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,722
    Points
    59,282
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    This is why there are so many Heisman trophy winner and candidates that don't do well at the pro-level. They look good in college with the cast they have around them. They are proped up by that talent and exposed when asked to stand alone or play competition that is as good.
    Matt Leinart anyone?



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 28,634, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Points
    28,634
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

    I understand that good players are the ones who help their team win, but sometimes, the best player in the world can't bring up 21+ other mediocre to horrible players.

    And from the Heisman's mission statement:
    The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work.
    I see nothing about winning championships.

    I can understand players putting up big numbers against weak competition. I can understand winning as the slight 'tie-breaker' in a close race. But to make this trophy about the most popular offensive player on the most popular team at the end of the year is just wrong.

    Also, to look back and say that players who didn't do well in the pros don't deserve the Heisman is equally stupid. The award is for what a person does while playing college football. If a Heisman trophy winner decides he wants to become a plumber after college, that shouldn't have any bearing on his achievements on the field.


    Last edited by edr247; 09-14-2010 at 10:14 AM.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 92,255, Level: 94
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,464
    Points
    92,255
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 199

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by edr247 View Post
    I can understand winning as the slight 'tie-breaker' in a close race. But to make this trophy about the most popular offensive player on the most popular team at the end of the year is just wrong.
    Ubben does admit, "The Heisman is flawed. Few would argue that." (Then proceeds to legitimize the flaw, pretty much, with his argument). Maybe it's time for a new award. It could be what the Heisman is supposed to be, and the Heisman can represent whatever the heck it supposedly represents.

    It would make more sense to re-focus the Heisman to its supposed definition, and create a Media Frenzy on Dominant Team award, but ... eh.

    Something else probably factored into Davis getting the shaft: playing for a program that was mired in 15 years of middling-to-awful seasons, with few periods of success, ever. I wonder if someone at that time rushed for 2K, twice, and played on 3-9 teams at Miami, Nebraska or Michigan — I'm thinking they might leap-frog a QB star on an 11-1 team.

    Tell me if I'm all wet on that one.


    Best in local news satire: Bass Lake Beacon

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 28,634, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Points
    28,634
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Ubben does admit, "The Heisman is flawed. Few would argue that." (Then proceeds to legitimize the flaw, pretty much, with his argument). Maybe it's time for a new award. It could be what the Heisman is supposed to be, and the Heisman can represent whatever the heck it supposedly represents.

    It would make more sense to re-focus the Heisman to its supposed definition, and create a Media Frenzy on Dominant Team award, but ... eh.

    Something else probably factored into Davis getting the shaft: playing for a program that was mired in 15 years of middling-to-awful seasons, with few periods of success, ever. I wonder if someone at that time rushed for 2K, twice, and played on 3-9 teams at Miami, Nebraska or Michigan — I'm thinking they might leap-frog a QB star on an 11-1 team.

    Tell me if I'm all wet on that one.
    Nope, you certainly have a point. If a Hurricane, Cornhusker or Wolverine put up consecutive 2000 yard seasons, they would most likely jump ahead of a QB on an 11-1 team. However, I also think that teams like Miami, etc would probably win a lot of games with such players. No guarantee, of course, but the level of talent the 'big boys' bring each year would probably benefit greatly from such a player. But the gist of the argument is correct.

    "Big Name" teams will have easier time getting Heisman candidates out than the "Small Time" teams.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,282, Level: 75
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,722
    Points
    59,282
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    But it's not even enough to put up big numbers on a winning team. Plenty of TTech QBs have put up huge numbers on 8 and 9-win teams, and not gotten a sniff of the Heisman vote. At this point it's basically "the best RB or QB on a top 10 team".

    Since 1990, all but 3 winners are from what I would consider "top historical programs" (starting with 2009 winner):

    Alabama
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Ohio State
    USC
    USC
    Oklahoma
    USC
    Nebraska
    Florida State
    Wisconsin
    Texas
    Michigan
    Florida
    Ohio State
    Colorado
    Florida State
    Miami
    Michigan
    BYU



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 464,834, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,221
    Points
    464,834
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 179

    Re: Ubben post about Heisman/Troy Davis

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    But it's not even enough to put up big numbers on a winning team. Plenty of TTech QBs have put up huge numbers on 8 and 9-win teams, and not gotten a sniff of the Heisman vote. At this point it's basically "the best RB or QB on a top 10 team".
    The only flaw with your argument is that voters snub TT QBs for the Heisman because they say if those QBs were placed in something other than the spread they wouldn't rack up the mind-blowing numbers that they did (and in essence, they are correct). Don't mind the fact that Tebow also played in a spread in Florida and that didn't stop him from winning one and almost winning two Heismans...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM