Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 118,397, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,873
    Points
    118,397
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 132

    ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Nice twitter news taken from fansnap.com, the ticket search site:


    darrenrovell1

    Most in-demand NCAA home football tix this week via @FanSnap: 1. Iowa, 2. LSU, 3. Alabama, 4. Ohio State, 5. Notre Dame


    darrenrovell1

    That last tweet referenced the highest average listing price of tickets for the 1st two weeks -- Iowa State helped Iowa



    So please, enough of this talk about how there are "bigger" home games for Iowa than the ISU game...



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 33,834, Level: 56
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    MookInLincoln's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Waverly, NE
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    33,834
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    ... but it hurts iowa NATIONALLY

    Nobody cares about the game

    Honestly, I'm done fighting for the merits of the game. I like it and want it to continue, but it really doesn't matter what we (ISU fans) or they (iowa fans) or talking heads that don't even go to games think about it ... the decision about the future of the game comes down to about 5 people with power.


    I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 44,452, Level: 65
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,554
    Points
    44,452
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Nice twitter news taken from fansnap.com, the ticket search site:


    darrenrovell1

    Most in-demand NCAA home football tix this week via @FanSnap: 1. Iowa, 2. LSU, 3. Alabama, 4. Ohio State, 5. Notre Dame


    darrenrovell1

    That last tweet referenced the highest average listing price of tickets for the 1st two weeks -- Iowa State helped Iowa



    So please, enough of this talk about how there are "bigger" home games for Iowa than the ISU game...
    .

    A post with some facts rather than opinion...good job outta you!

    Z


    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 32,673, Level: 55
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclonez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames/Coralville
    Posts
    4,127
    Points
    32,673
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 8

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    It's pretty simple. The game had expensive tickets already, and the higher demand for this game drove those prices up even more.


    Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

    Philippians 4:13

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 136,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    herbicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    8,639
    Points
    136,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    If the game is canceled, as many Hawk fans want, who will we be replaced by, and what would they gain from it? They are not going to get a home only series with anybody as remotely as good as us.

    The flip side of that coin is they aren't going to get a home and home agreement it won't be an automatic win.

    (Note I am 'thinking' like these fans, as they want us off the schedule for both an extra home game every other year, AND a tougher opponent. Nevermind they forget that the last 12 games are split...)



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 109,719, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,355
    Points
    109,719
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 286

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    IF the series were to end, I'd want a home and home with somebody like Pitt, or even Boise State. Then try to occassionally get a matchup with somebody like Oklahoma. I highly doubt either would happen if the series ended, but that's what I would like to see if it did.

    I'm for keeping the series going. I still don't feel like it helps us in the battle of national perception, but I love this game and the bragging rights that come with it too much to give it up.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 24,857, Level: 48
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    876
    Points
    24,857
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    IF the series were to end, I'd want a home and home with somebody like Pitt, or even Boise State. Then try to occassionally get a matchup with somebody like Oklahoma. I highly doubt either would happen if the series ended, but that's what I would like to see if it did.

    I'm for keeping the series going. I still don't feel like it helps us in the battle of national perception, but I love this game and the bragging rights that come with it too much to give it up.
    From a national perception/rankings/bowls standpoint this game hurts ISU a lot more than it hurts Iowa and ISU has a lot more to lose by playing the game, but I'm with you, I love the game, I love the tradition and rivalries and bragging rights. I hope this game continues forever.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 109,719, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,355
    Points
    109,719
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 286

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Quote Originally Posted by synapticwave View Post
    From a national perception/rankings/bowls standpoint this game hurts ISU a lot more than it hurts Iowa and ISU has a lot more to lose by playing the game, but I'm with you, I love the game, I love the tradition and rivalries and bragging rights. I hope this game continues forever.
    Where does ISU have more to lose from a perception standpoint? I can understand it seriously hurting the Clones chances at bowl eligibility when they don't win the game. But in the eyes of national pundits, it's business as usual when the Hawks win this game. I realize that hurts the program, but the perception of ISU on a national level doesn't change whenever they lose to Iowa. Iowa's perception takes a pretty big hit when they lose to ISU, and doesn't change when we win. Hell, we dominated on Saturday and actually DROPPED a spot in the Coaches' Poll. Yeah Oklahoma dominated FSU. But the Seminoles were VERY overrated, just like the rest of the ACC. Considering that, and the fact that Oklahoma barely escaped the Utah State game, they had no business leaping a team that did nothing to lose it's spot.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 24,857, Level: 48
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    876
    Points
    24,857
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Where does ISU have more to lose from a perception standpoint? I can understand it seriously hurting the Clones chances at bowl eligibility when they don't win the game. But in the eyes of national pundits, it's business as usual when the Hawks win this game. I realize that hurts the program, but the perception of ISU on a national level doesn't change whenever they lose to Iowa. Iowa's perception takes a pretty big hit when they lose to ISU, and doesn't change when we win. Hell, we dominated on Saturday and actually DROPPED a spot in the Coaches' Poll. Yeah Oklahoma dominated FSU. But the Seminoles were VERY overrated, just like the rest of the ACC. Considering that, and the fact that Oklahoma barely escaped the Utah State game, they had no business leaping a team that did nothing to lose it's spot.
    My take on this is based on the goals of program given their current state.

    Given the state of Iowa's program, their goals are to continue to be a top tier BCS conference team, get to and win BCS bowl games and possibly compete for a National Championship. Winning or losing the ISU game has very little impact on this goal. Given that the Big10 now has a conference championship game, Iowa could easily lose to ISU and then run the table and win an outright Big10 championship, which guarantees a BCS bowl game. If Iowa ends up in the Big10 championship but losses they would likely still end up in a BCS bowl with a loss to ISU depending on what happens in the other BCS conferences. If Iowa loses 2 or 3 conference games they likely will not be in the Big10 championship and have no chance at a BCS game, so losing to or beating ISU again has little impact in reaching their goals. In a down year with 2-3 conference losses and a loss to ISU, Iowa may end up dropping one slot in the bowl pecking order, but at the end of the day, little is lost by this in terms of keeping the program at the current level and competing for BCS bowls and national championships or in the prestige of the program.

    Now contrast this with ISU, given the state of the Iowa State program, their goals are to try to build the program up from a bottom tier BCS conference team by getting to any bowl game which means getting 6 wins. Obviously it would be significantly easier scheduling 4 cupcakes and needing only 2 conference wins. Not getting to a bowl costs valuable player development time, extra practices, TV exposure, and increased prestige, all of which are essential to continuing to build the program up. If ISU upsets Iowa but still can't win 6 games it does nothing for them. If ISU upsets Iowa and wins 9 games ISU still ends up in one of the Big12's middle tier bowls as we will always be passed up by UT and OU even if they have down years and we have a better record.

    My argument is simply that ISU has nothing to gain and a tremendous amount to lose
    whereas Iowa also has nothing to gain but has significantly less to lose in terms of meeting their goals for the season. Now, I will agree that when Iowa losses, they take a ribbing from the media and for the week of the game, the national media thinks the sky is falling for Iowa and there is a large drop in the polls. And obviously losing and especially being upset (especially to a rival) is never good for a program. But in the last 13 years, by the end of the season and after going through conference play, we have seen that Iowa's bowl selection has not been adversely affected by losses to ISU except for 1 time (2002), which if the big10 had a conference championship game like they will from now on then I believe Iowa would have taken Ohio State's place.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 109,719, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    5,355
    Points
    109,719
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 286

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Quote Originally Posted by synapticwave View Post
    My take on this is based on the goals of program given their current state.

    Given the state of Iowa's program, their goals are to continue to be a top tier BCS conference team, get to and win BCS bowl games and possibly compete for a National Championship. Winning or losing the ISU game has very little impact on this goal. Given that the Big10 now has a conference championship game, Iowa could easily lose to ISU and then run the table and win an outright Big10 championship, which guarantees a BCS bowl game. If Iowa ends up in the Big10 championship but losses they would likely still end up in a BCS bowl with a loss to ISU depending on what happens in the other BCS conferences. If Iowa loses 2 or 3 conference games they likely will not be in the Big10 championship and have no chance at a BCS game, so losing to or beating ISU again has little impact in reaching their goals. In a down year with 2-3 conference losses and a loss to ISU, Iowa may end up dropping one slot in the bowl pecking order, but at the end of the day, little is lost by this in terms of keeping the program at the current level and competing for BCS bowls and national championships or in the prestige of the program.

    Now contrast this with ISU, given the state of the Iowa State program, their goals are to try to build the program up from a bottom tier BCS conference team by getting to any bowl game which means getting 6 wins. Obviously it would be significantly easier scheduling 4 cupcakes and needing only 2 conference wins. Not getting to a bowl costs valuable player development time, extra practices, TV exposure, and increased prestige, all of which are essential to continuing to build the program up. If ISU upsets Iowa but still can't win 6 games it does nothing for them. If ISU upsets Iowa and wins 9 games ISU still ends up in one of the Big12's middle tier bowls as we will always be passed up by UT and OU even if they have down years and we have a better record.

    My argument is simply that ISU has nothing to gain and a tremendous amount to lose
    whereas Iowa also has nothing to gain but has significantly less to lose in terms of meeting their goals for the season. Now, I will agree that when Iowa losses, they take a ribbing from the media and for the week of the game, the national media thinks the sky is falling for Iowa and there is a large drop in the polls. And obviously losing and especially being upset (especially to a rival) is never good for a program. But in the last 13 years, by the end of the season and after going through conference play, we have seen that Iowa's bowl selection has not been adversely affected by losses to ISU except for 1 time (2002), which if the big10 had a conference championship game like they will from now on then I believe Iowa would have taken Ohio State's place.
    Fair enough. You guys certainly have more to lose from an on the field perspective, with the loss of practice time and money you get from bowl appearances. We lose more in the perception game with the national media. For a program that's in ISU's position, national perception isn't that big of a deal. You don't care what the media thinks of you, you just need to get to a bowl so you can get to where that perception has a real impact on you. Whereas Iowa is in a position right now where they already have the program built up, and the perception of the team can have an impact, especially in a year like this. The BCS is a beauty pagaent (sp?), where perception is reality. If voters don't see you as a very good team because of what they feel is an ugly loss, then you're not a very good tream because of an ugly loss. Nevermind that in reality the team you lost to is pretty solid. It makes no difference. Perception is reality. I'd love to see ISU get to where they don't have to focus on building the program anymore, and can find themselves looking to win over national media and gain respect. That helps BOTH ISU and Iowa.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 24,857, Level: 48
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    876
    Points
    24,857
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Fair enough. You guys certainly have more to lose from an on the field perspective, with the loss of practice time and money you get from bowl appearances. We lose more in the perception game with the national media. For a program that's in ISU's position, national perception isn't that big of a deal. You don't care what the media thinks of you, you just need to get to a bowl so you can get to where that perception has a real impact on you. Whereas Iowa is in a position right now where they already have the program built up, and the perception of the team can have an impact, especially in a year like this. The BCS is a beauty pagaent (sp?), where perception is reality. If voters don't see you as a very good team because of what they feel is an ugly loss, then you're not a very good tream because of an ugly loss. Nevermind that in reality the team you lost to is pretty solid. It makes no difference. Perception is reality. I'd love to see ISU get to where they don't have to focus on building the program anymore, and can find themselves looking to win over national media and gain respect. That helps BOTH ISU and Iowa.
    Yeah, I agree with this. We're different programs with different goals and judged on different stages, or at least this year we certainly are. I do think though that with the addition of the Big10 championship game and as long as the rivalry game continues to be played early in the season that the perception hit from an Iowa loss would be minimized and probably less than 50% of the time when ISU wins (which in total would be 1-2 out of every 10 years) will it impact bowl outcome or overall national perception of Iowa's performance by the end of the year. In those years where it does have an impact it certainly stings more so I can see where you're coming from. Definitely hope Iowa can have one of those magical seasons and hopefully ISU can scrap its way through this season and get another bowl win to help elevate this game more next year (and maybe actually make a game of it too)



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 399,085, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,880
    Points
    399,085
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    If the game is canceled, as many Hawk fans want, who will we be replaced by, and what would they gain from it? They are not going to get a home only series with anybody as remotely as good as us.

    The flip side of that coin is they aren't going to get a home and home agreement it won't be an automatic win.

    (Note I am 'thinking' like these fans, as they want us off the schedule for both an extra home game every other year, AND a tougher opponent. Nevermind they forget that the last 12 games are split...)
    Western Kentucky would be the replacement......ask Nebby.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    "darrenrovell1

    That last tweet referenced the highest average listing price of tickets for the 1st two weeks -- Iowa State helped Iowa"

    All this means is that isu helped the ticket brokers make more money...the highest average list price makes the U of I exactly zero dollars.

    The game was sold out from the university ticket office side, as Kinnick always sells out no matter who the opponent is...ask Ball St. or EIU.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 156,217, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,879
    Points
    156,217
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 9

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    Makes me feel good about getting two tickets for 40 bucks .



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 28,634, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Points
    28,634
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU-Iowa most in-demand ticket in nation

    I have to ask...is fansnap the premiere ticket purchasing site? Or is the data compiled for all ticket purchasing sites?

    Plus this is for the 1st two weeks, right? I'll wait till the end of the season to see how the Iowa-ISU ticket demand matched up with, say, Iowa-OSU, Iowa-Penn State, or Iowa-Wisconsin.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM