Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 2,749, Level: 14
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11
    Points
    2,749
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    I put this terrible performance on the coaches. I mean, Iowa stated all week that they were focusing on stopping the run. Our first play from scrimmage we hand the ball to Arob. No fake, no misdirection, nothing. Did our coaches really think we could line up against an amped up d line and run?
    Do I think we still lose the game? Yes, but how different would it have been if we could have made a few first downs that first drive and kept the d off the field?
    Very disappointed.
    That first 3 and out set the tone for the whole game.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 85,332, Level: 90
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigBake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    U'dale
    Posts
    5,524
    Points
    85,332
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 13

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    No, Iowa marching downfield at will on their first drive and our sloppy tackling set the tone.



  3. #3
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,551, Level: 27
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    297
    Points
    8,551
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    So NOT running directly at Clayborn on the first play would have been a better idea?

    I agree



  4. #4
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    No doubt the game plan was very very poor on offense. Wouldn't have mattered but would have like to have seen us take what Iowa was giving us. The 4 to 5 yards pass. We didn't



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 34,010, Level: 56
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    driegner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,131
    Points
    34,010
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    I've been preaching this for years (not on here, but w/ my friends). We don't have the defensive depth to be on the field that long. Our offense doesn't always have to score but they have to get a few first downs and give our defense a break.

    Imagine if we had gotten a few first quarter first downs, punted it inside the 5. Iowa is good, but a 95 yard drive is tough for anyone.

    If we intend to "bend not break" on defense we can't continually send our defense out to try and defend a 50 or 60 yard field.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 475,798, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    18,676
    Points
    475,798
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 6

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    No, Iowa marching downfield at will on their first drive and our sloppy tackling set the tone.
    This.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 269,032, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,526
    Points
    269,032
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 417

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    I've been preaching this for years (not on here, but w/ my friends). We don't have the defensive depth to be on the field that long. Our offense doesn't always have to score but they have to get a few first downs and give our defense a break.

    Imagine if we had gotten a few first quarter first downs, punted it inside the 5. Iowa is good, but a 95 yard drive is tough for anyone.

    If we intend to "bend not break" on defense we can't continually send our defense out to try and defend a 50 or 60 yard field.
    Our punters are not that good...yet.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 28,153, Level: 51
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISUcy08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,947
    Points
    28,153
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    Everyone just needs to wipe this game from their memory. We have ten games left and people are ready to call it a season. Let's think about beating K St. and not what went wrong last week.


    2009 Insight Bowl Champions!

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 100,079, Level: 98
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    4,604
    Points
    100,079
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 54

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    So you expect Rhoads, who has one of the Big 12's top running backs in Robinson, to just not make a concerted effort to establish the run, all because Iowa made it a point all week that they were focusing on stopping it? If every coach did that, there'd be no need for running backs. Stopping the run is pretty much always the defense's first priority.

    Arnaud's past history against Iowa doesn't exactly lend itself to praise. For as nuts as some you are going over 3 3rd quarter INT's (when you were already down 4 TD's), I can't imagine what would have happened if he'd thrown those in the 1st quarter.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 69,294, Level: 81
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isufbcurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    4,135
    Points
    69,294
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 359

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    Quote Originally Posted by thegetaway View Post
    I put this terrible performance on the coaches. I mean, Iowa stated all week that they were focusing on stopping the run. Our first play from scrimmage we hand the ball to Arob. No fake, no misdirection, nothing. Did our coaches really think we could line up against an amped up d line and run?
    Do I think we still lose the game? Yes, but how different would it have been if we could have made a few first downs that first drive and kept the d off the field?
    Very disappointed.
    That first 3 and out set the tone for the whole game.
    See I feel the opposite. I thinkw e could have run if we would have tried. It seemed like our play calling was as follows for the whole first half:

    1st down - run (slow developing zone read)
    2nd down - pass attempt
    3rd down - pass attempt
    4th down - punt

    I wanted to see us run more.



  11. #11
    Prospect
    Points: 2,749, Level: 14
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11
    Points
    2,749
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    Against most teams good and bad, if Iowa receives the kick off, they have a long drive that usually ends with points. The teams that stick with Iowa at least make a few first downs on the next possession. We absolutely had to take the crowd out and early. Running right at Clayborn only added fuel.
    How bout roll out AA and throw a 4-5 yard pass and get us in a favorable 2nd and 3rd down. I'm not saying AA would have completed the pass but that first play call was a joke.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 464,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,217
    Points
    464,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 177

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    So you expect Rhoads, who has one of the Big 12's top running backs in Robinson, to just not make a concerted effort to establish the run, all because Iowa made it a point all week that they were focusing on stopping it? If every coach did that, there'd be no need for running backs. Stopping the run is pretty much always the defense's first priority.

    Arnaud's past history against Iowa doesn't exactly lend itself to praise. For as nuts as some you are going over 3 3rd quarter INT's (when you were already down 4 TD's), I can't imagine what would have happened if he'd thrown those in the 1st quarter.
    The sad thing is, on one of those interceptions (the one that got picked off in front of the end zone), I'm surprised someone didn't have to haul in the bulldozer to scrape Arnaud's flattened body off the field. In retrospect, Arnaud should have at least taken the sack, if not tucked that ball and ran, but it doesn't really change the fact that Arnaud had no one to throw to all day and just four guys were rushing Arnaud into mistakes.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 113,151, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boxerdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Beaverdale, IA
    Posts
    2,855
    Points
    113,151
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 17

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    For those of us watching at home...you know it's going to be a long day when they introduce our offense halfway thru the second quarter....and Iowa's defense with like 5 minutes left in the half. Just wow.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 122,703, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,322
    Points
    122,703
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    Not blitzing was the worst decision of the game. Wally must think this DLine is good or something.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 52,974, Level: 71
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,076
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,177
    Points
    52,974
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

    Re: Going 3 and out is unacceptable

    I thought the offense stunk all game, not on the first play, but I would have liked to see the Clones start with a short pass or two. The key is AA has to hit the receiver and the receiver has to catch the ball. I didn't see a lot of that going on in the game.

    It seemed like the defense sort of figured things out a little after half time. They still didn't tackle well, and the loss of the middle LBer was really glaring on the last long run by Adam Robinson.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM