Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why this Loss helps us...

This loss came early and against a VERY VERY good team. This Iowa team is probably among the very best they ever had. I thought I heard somewhere that they have 29 seniors playing this year. I like to think that they are done winning the Cy-Hawk trophy for at least the next couple years. An early loss like this is VERY important to regroup and win the MUST WIN games.

We actually played a little better than last year. Less interceptions and at least one touchdown against a better Iowa team than last year. I understand that we still sucked, however its a big help to know where we need to improve and what areas we can keep "as is".

The process of rebounding from a huge loss is never simple. It could take weeks. I do believe, however, that coach Rhoads will have things figured out right away. I wouldn't be surprised to see action from two QBs heading into Kansas City this Saturday.

Kansas State will not be easy. But they are not as good of a team as Iowa. I think we can come away with a win. However, we absolutely need a smarter Arnaud. Dude needs to let go, losen up, not panic, and play the game of football. Coaches can only do so much.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Re: Why this Loss helps us...

I agree. As a fan this hasn't changed my perception of either team very much. Iowa's defense stifled our offense early, and they took advantage.

We learned, again, as we did all last season, that when the offense goes 3-and-out, the defense gives up points.

If we control the clock, we control the game. I'm dead serious: I've been to every game (band) since 2007, and watched every televised game, and the trend between 3-and-outs and defensive failures is incredibly consistent.

Our offense, the "Strength" of this team, has to give our defense a break. I suspect K-state's D isn't as solid as Iowa's and that A-rob will be a legitimate factor in the game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    I agree. As a fan this hasn't changed my perception of either team very much. Iowa's defense stifled our offense early, and they took advantage.

We learned, again, as we did all last season, that when the offense goes 3-and-out, the defense gives up points.

If we control the clock, we control the game. I'm dead serious: I've been to every game (band) since 2007, and watched every televised game, and the trend between 3-and-outs and defensive failures is incredibly consistent.

Our offense, the "Strength" of this team, has to give our defense a break. I suspect K-state's D isn't as solid as Iowa's and that A-rob will be a legitimate factor in the game.
    Agree 100%. If A-Rob played last year, we would have won that game against K State.

Another good thing is, we are healthy going into the K State game. We NEED a Win this Saturday.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 11

Why a win would have helped more: 2-0

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

Rhoads is 4-2 after losses according to the Register. Hopefully that shows up this weekend.

As I said in the other KSU thread, they have not played good defense yet this year. We probably have to score 30 to win if they get Thomas going and if we don't then we are in for a long year.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 71

Hey if we can learn from this loss and move forward to the games that really count then I agree, this is just a blip on the radar.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

the loss brings fans back down to reality.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone1985 View Post

Absolutely...

Oh and another thing. I am so glad Rhoads does not treat this Iowa game as a Super bowl.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 344

Clonomaniac aka Pollyanna. I still say you can throw us, KU, KSU, and CU in a hat and pull out the same team. It's likely going to come down to turnovers (mistakes) and avoiding injuries. Hopefully better coaching and the breaks are on our side.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,343
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone1985 View Post
    I don't know about that - there are now a lot of fans that are convinced we won't win another game this season (even the UNI game) simply because we got pasted by one of the best teams in the nation.

I think the biggest problem right now is ISU fans aren't being honest with themselves. Most of us had this game marked down as an "L" in our predictions, and now that it's actually happened we're all acting like the world ended on Saturday.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I don't know about that - there are now a lot of fans that are convinced we won't win another game this season (even the UNI game) simply because we got pasted by one of the best teams in the nation.

I think the biggest problem right now is ISU fans aren't being honest with themselves. Most of us had this game marked down as an "L" in our predictions, and now that it's actually happened we're all acting like the world ended on Saturday.

I highly doubt its true. Most fans still think we should have at least 4 more wins. Once again, this Iowa team is dangerously good. I have been a Hawk hater all my life and I am saying this about them this year. The credit is much deserved. Kirky finally got a good chance to take them to the promised land.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,343
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    I highly doubt its true. Most fans still think we should have at least 4 more wins. Once again, this Iowa team is dangerously good. I have been a Hawk hater all my life and I am saying this about them this year. The credit is much deserved. Kirky finally got a good chance to take them to the promised land.
    How about this gem?

Quote Originally Posted by cy2win View Post
    Sorry, but I don't see us winning another game the rest of the season unless Missouri gives us a gift the last game of the season. I really hope I am wrong.

Snyder will out coach us to another loss next week.
    Then there's just about anything that UNIGuy posts.

Look, I get that most ISU fans have enough common sense to realize that Iowa is one of, if not the, best team we'll play this year. But quit pretending that this board wasn't in full meltdown mode Saturday night, all day Sunday, and still somewhat today. And to go with that meltdown comes a handful of morons who are convinced that the world ended on Saturday. Nevermind virtually the same thing happened last year and everything turned out okay.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    Absolutely...

Oh and another thing. I am so glad Rhoads does not treat this Iowa game as a Super bowl.
    I can agree w/ that, but geez, it would have been nice if we could have been a little more competitive. That has nothing to do w/ CPR, it has to do w/ the fact that this years Iowa team is that much better than our ISU team.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post

Absolutely. Nearly everyone I know had this marked for a loss by 10 points or more. A few offensive series that were worth a damn may have kept the game within two touchdowns and made it more reasonable. Regardless, I wager that 75% of this board predicted a loss so we need to remember that.

Things went south when the D got left on the field. Something that can be fixed with execution against defenses that will not be nearly as good as Iowa's.

We have things to fix but no one should be melting down right now. Aside from a bad quarter (2nd vs Iowa) this team is about where we all thought they would be.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

People are scared because this game revealed our weaknesses, namingly that our defense isn't as good against the run as we thought a week ago. That's why I have more fear about facing K-State this weekend.