Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 0

CU and the Pac-12

I know that Chris already posted this link, but I thought there were a couple of interesting points.
    Pac-10 Conference doesn't expect Colorado to join until 2012 - ESPN

First, I didn't realize that the Pac-10 used the same revenue sharing model that the Big12 uses. He comments that there is apparently a struggle to get in the same division as UCLA and USC because they get on TV more often. Sound familiar? The point of the article is that it appears that he doesn't think that CU will join until 2012. This is really going to screw up the scheduling in both leagues next year.

The best line of the article though,

"Today is a glimpse of what it will be like," Scott said. "Colorado fans, not just from the Bay Area, but across the country are very excited about this."

I'm sure that Colorado is really excited about the glimpse of what is to come that California laid on them Saturday.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 2

Re: CU and the Pac-12

I think Colorado is hoping that screwing up the schedules will force the Big 12 to let them go with less of a penalty.

If it renews fan interest and brings in support, it'll probably end up being a good move for them. They clearly had no interest in the B12, would have been best if they left when they originally wanted to as they probably would have been replaced and the B12 would only be losing one team.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And it sounds like the revenue sharing may shift depending on getting 9 votes for it, interesting politics there.

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 13

We just need to let them go then at the end of this year and forget about the buyout. It's like the person who gives the 2 week notice at work. Just pay them for the two weeks and let them go that day cause they aren't going to get much done for you anyway.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

The larger question is will the PAC 10 ratify Colorado's invitation to become a member? Can they save face and not do so? It is becoming more apparent every day that neither the Big 12 nor the PAC 10 wants Colorado.

Addict
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    The larger question is will the PAC 10 ratify Colorado's invitation to become a member? Can they save face and not do so? It is becoming more apparent every day that neither the Big 12 nor the PAC 10 wants Colorado.
    If they don't then that would put Larry Scott in a really bad spot. How could he still make moves if he doesn't have the backing of the universities? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that and shut that guy up, but it just wouldn't make much sense on the part of the member institutions.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    I think Colorado is hoping that screwing up the schedules will force the Big 12 to let them go with less of a penalty.
    The CU situation is hosing up scheduling for both the B12 and P10. As a result, you'll likely see a negotiated settlement where CU pays a lesser penalty and leaves after this academic year for the benefit of all parties involved.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

CU is doing exactly what they should do right now. They can't afford the buyout but they know the Big 12 does not want them sticking around. They're putting the pressure on the Big 12 to work something out to have them gone in 2011.

I hope something can be done because I want Colorado gone as soon as possible. They can go out west and be the Pac 10's whipping boy

ABC - Always Be Closing

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 58

Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    CU is doing exactly what they should do right now. They can't afford the buyout but they know the Big 12 does not want them sticking around. They're putting the pressure on the Big 12 to work something out to have them gone in 2011.

I hope something can be done because I want Colorado gone as soon as possible. They can go out west and be the Pac 10's whipping boy
    I agree completely, and I was wondering if they would try this from the day NU said they were leaving next season. NU and the Big 10 have the cash, CU doesn't. CU is really in the drivers seat here. With Utah making the move next year as well, it is a scheduling disaster for both conferences if Colorado doesn't go, and CU knows that. They are just going to sit here saying they aren't leaving until the Big 12 agrees to a reduced buyout or the Pac 10 agrees to pay it on their behalf.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I know that Chris already posted this link, but I thought there were a couple of interesting points.
    Pac-10 Conference doesn't expect Colorado to join until 2012 - ESPN

First, I didn't realize that the Pac-10 used the same revenue sharing model that the Big12 uses. He comments that there is apparently a struggle to get in the same division as UCLA and USC because they get on TV more often. Sound familiar? The point of the article is that it appears that he doesn't think that CU will join until 2012. This is really going to screw up the scheduling in both leagues next year.

The best line of the article though,

"Today is a glimpse of what it will be like," Scott said. "Colorado fans, not just from the Bay Area, but across the country are very excited about this."

I'm sure that Colorado is really excited about the glimpse of what is to come that California laid on them Saturday.
    If they lose all the PAC 10 inter rival games, they may get placed in the USC/UCLA group. Then they can recruit California and get better.

Wonder if they will switch qbs again. I remember they recruited ten oline guys the first year of Dan. Looks like the oline is still a work in progress.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    And it sounds like the revenue sharing may shift depending on getting 9 votes for it, interesting politics there.
    With 10 teams, they couldn't get 9 votes to change it. With 11/12 teams they will have the votes to change the revenue sharing.

"I'm proud to lead this program and this team in whatever we do. Whether it's a community service project, or through practice or winning a bowl game, but you don't do that without the kids believing and being all in, and going out there and accomplishing all [of] the goals and expectations that we set." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Walk On
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_16054772?source=most_viewe
    From the Boulder Daily Camera:

BERKELEY, Calif. -- Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott says chances aren`t good Colorado will join his conference before the 2012 season. As the Camera first reported two weeks ago, Scott confirmed CU officials are not finding much common ground with Big 12 Conference officials on the financial burden of leaving that league. Scott met with reporters Saturday at Memorial Stadium on the California campus before the Golden Bears roasted the Colorado Buffaloes in the first glimpse of the Buffs` future out west.
    "The chances are worse than 50-50," Scott said. "I don`t know how to rank it beyond that. At this stage, we`re planning as though they`re coming in in 2012. In other words, we`ve got an 11-team football schedule for next year teed up."
    Utah is slated to join the Pac-10 next summer. Colorado would prefer to do so as well, but CU officials have said they are content to remain in the Big 12 an extra year if it means saving millions in exit penalties.
    Scott said the Pac-10 is still open to the idea of helping CU with some of the up-front costs of leaving the Big 12. He said he isn`t ready to rule anything out at this point.
    "But what I have said is that we can`t anticipate new revenue until we enter to new TV agreements or start a football championship," Scott said. "So, there`s too many unknowns right now and we couldn`t commit to anything concrete. If they work at it and they come to us, we`ll see what the situation is at that stage."
    Scott has mentioned a mid-October target date for deciding when CU will join the league. He said that timetable is not written in stone at this point, but the conference has to move forward at some point.
    "That`s a self-imposed deadline," he said. "We could (move it back) on the one hand, but I think we`re going to hit a point in time where any planning for a football championship game, television scheduling, it would be problematic. So, I think we`ve set it as an internal timetable."
    Scott met with CU officials Friday night and Saturday morning and said he was impressed by the turnout of Colorado fans for the Buffs` first trip to the state since 2002. Colorado officials estimated at least 7,000 fans attended the game.
    Pac-10 members along with officials from CU and Utah are scheduled to meet next week to continue discussions about revenue sharing, a football championship game, scheduling in all sports and division alignments. Scott said there is no consensus about divisions at this point and at least six models are being considered.

Last edited by AlumNi; 09-14-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AlumNi View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty much in the OP's link..

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 4

I wonder if letting Colorado go for a reduced buyout would affect the Big XII's legal claims on getting a full payout from Nebraska?

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 8

The buyout is for recovery of financial losses. Not having a football conference championship game will hurt Big 12 revenue in 2011-12. Colorado staying in the Big 12 an additional year would cause scheduling problems and cause revenue to be split one more way. The Buffs are broke! They really do not have the funds to pay a buyout. The problem for the Big 12 is that without Nebraska, Colorado adds nothing to the conference except a year of inconvenience. Nebraska has no plans to pay the buyout anyway. That one will land in mediation or a court of law.