Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

GC/McFarland vs CPR/Herman handling AA.

In the long run I'm happy with our new staff and the direction the program is headed but it is clear to me that GC/McFarland accepted AAs shortcomings and nerves/yips issues early, and didn't try to force him to run an offense (Herman's) that he is not capable of running -- square peg / round hole IMHO. Under stress, AA throws passes like Rick Ankiel used to pitch. Some times you can't fix this type of problem and you need to move on.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

Re: GC/McFarland vs CPR/Herman handling AA.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    In the long run I'm happy with our new staff and the direction the program is headed but it is clear to me that GC/McFarland accepted AAs shortcomings and nerves/yips issues early, and didn't try to force him to run an offense (Herman's) that he is not capable of running -- square peg / round hole IMHO. Under stress, AA throws passes like Rick Ankiel used to pitch. Some times you can't fix this type of problem and you need to move on.
    Tom Herman has been a joke thus far IMO. I'm sorry. I like the guy, but he's not earned his paycheck yet. We got to a bowl game last year because of our defense.. plain and simple. Our offensive numbers last year were pathetic.

And if AA isn't good at certain things, then it is the OC's job to not make him do those things. AA is not very accurate, and he's not a good decision maker. So don't make him throw many passes past 7 yds, with the exception of a few fly patterns to keep the defense honest, and don't make him have to sit in the pocket for very long scanning the field trying to make decisions.

Iowa has one of, if not the best, D-lines in the entire country. So, going into this game, what should the strategy be to counteract this? I say... get the ball out of AA's hands very quick on WR screens, RB screens, slants, etc. Get guys out on the edge in some space where they can make a move and gain some positive yards. Fake the inside handoff and tell Arnaud to run until Clayborn and Binns show that they are going to respect containment. Run some quick counter or mis-direction stuff. Keep the Iowa D-line guessing.

But don't... and I repeat, DO NOT.... have Arnaud sitting like a dead duck in the pocket scanning the field for an open guy 10-15 yds down the field. You are playing right into AA's biggest weaknesses... his accuracy and his decision making.

I did not understand the gameplan at all yesterday? We all knew going into this year that the defense would struggle. Our D-line is undersized, and our entire LB corps is new and not experienced whatsoever. I actually think they are playing about as I expected. I think Knott and Klein played ok yesterday considering their lack of experience. What do we expect from them?

But our offense was supposed to be DRASTICALLY improved. It was year 2 under Tom Herman. Everything was supposed to start clicking, right? AA was the "most improved" player on the team. The OL was good and experienced. We had a lot of weapons to use at the skill positions. And we come out yesterday and put up 30 yds of offense, or something like that, in the 1st half. If I performed like this at my job... I'd be fired. Herman has some explaining to do IMO.

Everyone knows what AA's limitations are. So why do we keep putting him in those situations? Once again this year... we played right into Iowa's hands. Right into their strengths. I'll be waiting to hear from Tom what his excuses are? I won't hold my breath though.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Tom Herman has been a joke thus far IMO. I'm sorry. I like the guy, but he's not earned his paycheck yet. We got to a bowl game last year because of our defense.. plain and simple. Our offensive numbers last year were pathetic.

And if AA isn't good at certain things, then it is the OC's job to not make him do those things. AA is not very accurate, and he's not a good decision maker. So don't make him throw many passes past 7 yds, with the exception of a few fly patterns to keep the defense honest, and don't make him have to sit in the pocket for very long scanning the field trying to make decisions.

Iowa has one of, if not the best, D-lines in the entire country. So, going into this game, what should the strategy be to counteract this? I say... get the ball out of AA's hands very quick on WR screens, RB screens, slants, etc. Get guys out on the edge in some space where they can make a move and gain some positive yards. Fake the inside handoff and tell Arnaud to run until Clayborn and Binns show that they are going to respect containment. Run some quick counter or mis-direction stuff. Keep the Iowa D-line guessing.

But don't... and I repeat, DO NOT.... have Arnaud sitting like a dead duck in the pocket scanning the field for an open guy 10-15 yds down the field. You are playing right into AA's biggest weaknesses... his accuracy and his decision making.

I did not understand the gameplan at all yesterday? We all knew going into this year that the defense would struggle. Our D-line is undersized, and our entire LB corps is new and not experienced whatsoever. I actually think they are playing about as I expected. I think Knott and Klein played ok yesterday considering their lack of experience. What do we expect from them?

But our offense was supposed to be DRASTICALLY improved. It was year 2 under Tom Herman. Everything was supposed to start clicking, right? AA was the "most improved" player on the team. The OL was good and experienced. We had a lot of weapons to use at the skill positions. And we come out yesterday and put up 30 yds of offense, or something like that, in the 1st half. If I performed like this at my job... I'd be fired. Herman has some explaining to do IMO.

Everyone knows what AA's limitations are. So why do we keep putting him in those situations? Once again this year... we played right into Iowa's hands. Right into their strengths. I'll be waiting to hear from Tom what his excuses are? I won't hold my breath though.
    THIS deserves attention. Thank you. What happened to that one dive play we run where Arnuad actually KEEPS the ball and runs with it? IMO that play was heavily underutilized yesterday.

Very bland game plan (What was our game plan again?) yesterday by the coaches.

All said, lets go show KSU how to play football this week.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

Tom Herman needs to make some changes for KSU or it will be Iowa all over again.
    The City mentioned that we did not run the plays that we practiced. Interesting.

I hope that we are only using half a playbook because they do not trust the qb.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

Oh but wait, Herman's second year at Rice the numbers went up dramatically...can we please stop with that crap. He wasn't facing defenses like Iowa, NU, Texas and OU at Rice.

ABC - Always Be Closing

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Does anyone think that having 3 different coaches has stunted his growth? I don't know but just a thought.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    Does anyone think that having 3 different coaches has stunted his growth? I don't know but just a thought.
    Actually, that may help to adjust to game variable conditions. You must be receiving tutelage from 3 different coaches so you should be spot on for throwing as a senior.

Playing Iowa three years in a row looks the same however....

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Tom Herman needs to make some changes for KSU or it will be Iowa all over again.
    The City mentioned that we did not run the plays that we practiced. Interesting.

I hope that we are only using half a playbook because they do not trust the qb.

I don't take much to heart that The City mentions. You guys get played like a piano by people with "inside" knowledge too much.

Ok... Comparison... I talk to my brother all the time about his job (since it is in ag and relates to what I do). He can tell me what happens and what he does. Does that mean I know everything about it?? Does that mean I know everything that happens??? Not really. Just means I have an idea of things. There is a ton more that goes on that I don't have a clue about.

I'm sure they don't run some plays they practice because they are base plays. Plays they know by heart. Plays they have ran for 2 years now and have no need to work on them much except in scrimmage from time to time. This team is still trying to add new wrinkles to existing plays to be more effective.

That being said I'm not impressed by our offense yet. One problem. Austen was not recruited by this staff. He is not the typical QB for them I'm guessing. That being said, I'm guessing either Tiller is not the next in line like we all think, or they feel we can be a good team and Austen needed all the work he could get yesterday. And actually that is what CPR said for the most part in the post game interview. This teams still needs more work.

The City coming in making remarks remind me how much you all were played Rashon Clark's fiance or whatever. You guys ate out of her hand daily. Very sad.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by CyBroncos View Post
    Oh but wait, Herman's second year at Rice the numbers went up dramatically...can we please stop with that crap. He wasn't facing defenses like Iowa, NU, Texas and OU at Rice.
    We heard the same stuff about how Greg McDermott's teams turned the corner in year 3. How did that work out for us again?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Actually, that may help to adjust to game variable conditions. You must be receiving tutelage from 3 different coaches so you should be spot on for throwing as a senior.

Playing Iowa three years in a row looks the same however....
    It does not help... Are you crazy. They totally changed up his motion from last year according to the announcers yesterday. I'm sure that is normal for every SR QB in division 1 football.

I'm sure having 3 different offensive coordinators in 4 years, and 1 being a totally different system then now is completely normal too.

Do I think Austen has improved from year to year. No not really, but I'm smart enough to realize all the outside influences on why that could be.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    It does not help... Are you crazy. They totally changed up his motion from last year according to the announcers yesterday. I'm sure that is normal for every SR QB in division 1 football.
    Whoa - but AA has talked about his new "improved" motion and thanked the coaches for elevating his game. Was he just lying?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

I hoped it would be different this year but AA sucked against the hawks again. Maybe he's too tight for this game being an Ames kid, but the good news is AA will never have to play the hawks again. However he needs to bounce back against K-State, as he did last year, and he can still go on to have a good year. If he sucks against K-State I'm all for giving Tiller the keys to the offense and see if he can get it done.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Whoa - but AA has talked about his new "improved" motion and thanked the coaches for elevating his game. Was he just lying?

No I'm sure he thinks it helped.

Remember Shaq going to a 1 handed free throw look. He thought it helped him. Looking at stats it didn't.

So Austen thinks it helped. And it might. He throws balls now at 95mph instead of 80mph. He throws it over guys heads instead of at their feet.

Also, Austen has some problems that are worse then mechanical. Like locking onto receivers too early. Not looking off the safety. So even with the new mechanics, he still has those things to work on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    I hoped it would be different this year but AA sucked against the hawks again. Maybe he's too tight for this game being an Ames kid, but the good news is AA will never have to play the hawks again. However he needs to bounce back against K-State, as he did last year, and he can still go on to have a good year. If he sucks against K-State I'm all for giving Tiller the keys to the offense and see if he can get it done.
    You are more correct as to what the problem is then some of the other posters. He is from Ameas and he was playing the hawkeyes and that is pressure none of the posters here have handled. I also agree that if he he bombs against K-State it is time for a change.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe it was the wind.