Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 80,500, Level: 88
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,450
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bigman38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    6,240
    Points
    80,500
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 936
    Given: 1,081

    Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    I was very excited when Chizik came to ISU and felt betrayed when he left, but a year later and hindsight to take advantage of, I really think that it was the best move for both Chizik and ISU, he gets his dream job and we get a coach that has had one of the best starts to a career in school history.

    My actual question is why Chizik has taken a middle of the pack SEC team and overachieved while he underachieved at ISU?



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 25,420, Level: 48
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    BigDISU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oskaloosa, Iowa
    Posts
    1,196
    Points
    25,420
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    I was very excited when Chizik came to ISU and felt betrayed when he left, but a year later and hindsight to take advantage of, I really think that it was the best move for both Chizik and ISU, he gets his dream job and we get a coach that has had one of the best starts to a career in school history.

    My actual question is why Chizik has taken a middle of the pack SEC team and overachieved while he underachieved at ISU?
    IMO, becuase at ISU you have to coach players up, at Auburn, you just sit back and let the athletes play and the Chiz is an expert at the latter



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 908,371, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    60,693
    Points
    908,371
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,135
    Given: 4,189

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Coordinators. The answer to your question is coordinators.

    The man is a stellar recruiter, but he did a good job of that here at ISU. The thing I don't get is how that personality of his translates into recruiting. That part is the one I don't get. More power to him, but that's confusing.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Its hard not to be good with Auburn. They bring in big time recruits no matter who the coach is.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 61,297, Level: 76
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SenorCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    C.J.
    Posts
    1,505
    Points
    61,297
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 91

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Coordinators. The answer to your question is coordinators
    Agreed.
    Its called picking good assistants that actually know what they are doing.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 130,511, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,030
    Points
    130,511
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246
    Given: 1

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Coordinators. The answer to your question is coordinators.
    Gus Malzahn/Ted Roof vs. Robert McFarland/Wayne Bolt.

    That's like pre-1990 Tyson vs. anyone.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 324,512, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rolling dirty in Roland.
    Posts
    15,202
    Points
    324,512
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 559
    Given: 100

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorCy View Post
    Agreed.
    Its called picking good assistants that actually know what they are doing.
    Are you saying Mcfarland and Bolt were not good Assitants?



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 135,354, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    12,672
    Points
    135,354
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,440
    Given: 222

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Auburn has had talent every year for a while. He was brought into a pretty good situation in terms of the level of talent on the team, unlike at ISU. And as someone else said, he learned his lesson at ISU and brought in good coordinators instead of good friends.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 136,223, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyhawkdmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CB
    Posts
    6,124
    Points
    136,223
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 255

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by CYCRAZY View Post
    Are you saying Mcfarland and Bolt were not good Assitants?
    Are you saying they WERE good assistants?



  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 10,700, Level: 31
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Klonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    369
    Points
    10,700
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    My actual question is why Chizik has taken a middle of the pack SEC team and overachieved while he underachieved at ISU?

    1. He had no clue what he was getting into here at ISU - how hard it can be to recruit, budget, budget, budget.

    2. Tradition / recruiting - while Chizik did a nice job of bringing in some kids - Auburn has a long history of tradition and he can bring kids in on their name alone, let alone the nicer living conditions.

    3. Money - he was able to go out and hire an excellent coaching staff - top shelf coordinators and they were in turn able to hire top shelf assistant coaches.

    Go Clones!



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 32,879, Level: 55
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,806
    Points
    32,879
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 4

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorCy View Post
    Agreed.
    Its called picking good assistants that actually know what they are doing.
    Yep at Auburn he actually hired good coaches. At Iowa State he hired his old buddies.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 324,512, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rolling dirty in Roland.
    Posts
    15,202
    Points
    324,512
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 559
    Given: 100

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhawkdmb View Post
    Are you saying they WERE good assistants?
    Um..................... no



  13. #13
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 304,198, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21,240
    Points
    304,198
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,249
    Given: 2,851

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    IMO, becuase at ISU you have to coach players up, at Auburn, you just sit back and let the athletes play and the Chiz is an expert at the latter
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Coordinators. The answer to your question is coordinators.

    The man is a stellar recruiter, but he did a good job of that here at ISU. The thing I don't get is how that personality of his translates into recruiting. That part is the one I don't get. More power to him, but that's confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Its hard not to be good with Auburn. They bring in big time recruits no matter who the coach is.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Auburn has had talent every year for a while. He was brought into a pretty good situation in terms of the level of talent on the team, unlike at ISU. And as someone else said, he learned his lesson at ISU and brought in good coordinators instead of good friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonz View Post
    1. He had no clue what he was getting into here at ISU - how hard it can be to recruit, budget, budget, budget.

    2. Tradition / recruiting - while Chizik did a nice job of bringing in some kids - Auburn has a long history of tradition and he can bring kids in on their name alone, let alone the nicer living conditions.

    3. Money - he was able to go out and hire an excellent coaching staff - top shelf coordinators and they were in turn able to hire top shelf assistant coaches.

    Go Clones!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJCy View Post
    Yep at Auburn he actually hired good coaches. At Iowa State he hired his old buddies.
    pretty much sums up my thoughts.


    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

    May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 908,371, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    60,693
    Points
    908,371
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,135
    Given: 4,189

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Did you multi-quote the entire thread?


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,535, Level: 35
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    skibumspe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ulsan, Korea
    Posts
    267
    Points
    13,535
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 355

    Re: Thought on Auburn & Chizik

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    I was very excited when Chizik came to ISU and felt betrayed when he left, but a year later and hindsight to take advantage of, I really think that it was the best move for both Chizik and ISU, he gets his dream job and we get a coach that has had one of the best starts to a career in school history.

    My actual question is why Chizik has taken a middle of the pack SEC team and overachieved while he underachieved at ISU?
    It really comes down to two things in my opinion:

    1. His staff & specifically his coordinators are MUCH different at Auburn than at IA State, which plays a tremendous part in the successes/failures at either school & their ability to 'coach up.'

    2. Location, Location, Location - southern school, in what could be considered the best football conference while amassing a fairly solid tradition over the years, just gonna attract a completely different player at Auburn than Ames.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM