Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    State by state

    Pheasants Forever's 2010 Pheasant Hunting Forecast

    Sounds like Iowa is expected to be pretty bad this year. Not surprising. Wonder if the DNR has any intention to reduce the daily or possession limits and help things bounce up.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 20,110, Level: 43
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,169
    Points
    20,110
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 8

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Yeah this stinks! I can see how they would be down with mother nature and the Turkey population exploding. Also, their habitat is disappearing. I can't blame the farmers but every year there is less and less hunting ground as the farmers are bulldozing everything and planting more and more.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 179,904, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,860
    Points
    179,904
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 95

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Good thing I'm going to South Dakota twice this year. Might be the only pheasants I see.



  4. #4
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Good thing I'm going to South Dakota twice this year. Might be the only pheasants I see.
    How many seats you have in that vehicle?

    FWIW - if there are any of our Cyclone brethern farmers in SD or KS being adversely impacted by this apparent overrun of pheasants - feel free to ask for help. At the same time, any farmers in the central Iowa area having deer issues and would like a bow hunter .....


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 09-09-2010 at 03:36 PM.

  5. #5
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 356,835, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,706
    Points
    356,835
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 350

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    State by state

    Pheasants Forever's 2010 Pheasant Hunting Forecast

    Sounds like Iowa is expected to be pretty bad this year. Not surprising. Wonder if the DNR has any intention to reduce the daily or possession limits and help things bounce up.
    How much of last year's shortfall was due to the late harvest? That shouldn't be the case this year with the way that crops are progressing - even if bird counts are down, they might be more accessible for a greater portion of the season than they were last fall.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  6. #6
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    How much of last year's shortfall was due to the late harvest? That shouldn't be the case this year with the way that crops are progressing - even if bird counts are down, they might be more accessible for a greater portion of the season than they were last fall.
    Not sure I'm following? If anything, wouldn't late harvest and crops in the fields help the population? More cover, more food?

    This year's decline were on top of two previous years big declines.

    Edit: you're not talking about projections, but harvest numbers. Gotcha



  7. #7
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 356,835, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,706
    Points
    356,835
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 350

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Not sure I'm following? If anything, wouldn't late harvest and crops in the fields help the population? More cover, more food?

    This year's decline were on top of two previous years big declines.

    Edit: you're not talking about projections, but harvest numbers. Gotcha
    More cover & more food = good - but when the hunting ground is next to a corn field, it's tough to find a bird.

    Last fall, once the nearby fields were harvested, we did see birds often enough - but that was a short window between the corn leaving and the snow getting out of hand.

    I am apprehensive as well about actual bird numbers this year because of the harsh winter last year.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  8. #8
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    More cover & more food = good - but when the hunting ground is next to a corn field, it's tough to find a bird.

    Last fall, once the nearby fields were harvested, we did see birds often enough - but that was a short window between the corn leaving and the snow getting out of hand.

    I am apprehensive as well about actual bird numbers this year because of the harsh winter last year.
    I didn't run into much corn in my pheasant hunting - only go a few places and it wasn't an issue. Didn't talk to too many who had problems either.

    Definitely made my bow hunting an impossible task, however.

    Glad to see the crops are supposedly maturing and drying out very early this year. Hopefully they'll get the crops out.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,868, Level: 70
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,620
    Points
    51,868
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 134

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Really depressing as the population has decreased so much in the last 5 years. Habitat and weather seem to be the major factors. I believe Iowa is almost 99% private land, not much the DNR can do, baring a major federal set aside program. Lower bag limits don't do much either because 1 rooster can service 12 hens and their lifespan is usually 1 to 2 years.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 151,357, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,079
    Points
    151,357
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Our group hunts the same land year in and year out. The farmer always gives us first dibs for opening day. Talked to him last week, and he said the flock looks to be intact, although he said many more hens than roosters. That is bad for this year, but good for the next.



  11. #11
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pheasants Forever's 2010 forecasts

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    Really depressing as the population has decreased so much in the last 5 years. Habitat and weather seem to be the major factors. I believe Iowa is almost 99% private land, not much the DNR can do, baring a major federal set aside program. Lower bag limits don't do much either because 1 rooster can service 12 hens and their lifespan is usually 1 to 2 years.
    That's a good point. It also reminds me of a talk a PF biologist gave at Ike's one evening. Said that he tries to clear every rooster he can off his property before winter really hits. The key is hens, not roosters. The hens will get bred, and all those roosters are doing is keeping much needed food from them during the winter months.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM