Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 14

Angry War Eagle

Saw that Auburn plays Miss State tonight in early SEC matchup. I really don't like being spiteful, and would like to be a good Christian and not wish ill thoughts on anyone, but this guy really chaps me.
    I know it has been two years, and I know we are better off with out him. But, the way he bailed on his players, this university, and the people of Iowa really gets me. It is like he always thought he was better than us, and that this job was below him. I guess it is my homerism and deep love for Iowa State that puts these blinders on, but I find myself rooting against Auburn with a passion. Last year in their bowl game against NW, I seriously wanted to find a purple shirt to wear while watching the game.

I don't know if other Cyclone fans feel this way, the wife says I need to get over it, but maybe after a BCS bowl or a good smack down of his Auburn team by one of CPRs teams will give me the closure I need.

Clonesolo

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: War Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by CloneSolo View Post
    Saw that Auburn plays Miss State tonight in early SEC matchup. I really don't like being spiteful, and would like to be a good Christian and not wish ill thoughts on anyone, but this guy really chaps me.
    I know it has been two years, and I know we are better off with out him. But, the way he bailed on his players, this university, and the people of Iowa really gets me. It is like he always thought he was better than us, and that this job was below him. I guess it is my homerism and deep love for Iowa State that puts these blinders on, but I find myself rooting against Auburn with a passion. Last year in their bowl game against NW, I seriously wanted to find a purple shirt to wear while watching the game.

I don't know if other Cyclone fans feel this way, the wife says I need to get over it, but maybe after a BCS bowl or a good smack down of his Auburn team by one of CPRs teams will give me the closure I need.

Clonesolo

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 120

Your wife is right.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,540
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 77

I'll cheer for MSU in this game because I have a friend at work who went to Miss St, but I won't go out of my way to cheer against Auburn in other games just because of Chizik.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

I'm not terribly bothered. Athletes do it all the time. Why should coaches be held to a higher standard?It's a business. He'd have been an idiot not to take a double in pay, go to a premier football school, etc.

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,563
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 559

First thing I thought of when I saw your screen name:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=140ImixpY7M]YouTube - Iyaz - Solo (Video)[/ame]

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,563
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 559

Also, a friend and I were just discussing this: Mississippi State is one of those teams that seems like they're on the same tier as us in the college sports landscape. They don't really have anything against anybody, and they're a team that's cool to see do well every here and there. Go 'Dogs.

Pro
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 158

Eric Link used to do football operations here, left to coach high school football in TX and now is coaching special teams for AU. I work with his Mom, and Chizik has been very good to Eric. I have no spite for a guy that lived out his dream and made us appreciate what we have all the more. Thank the good Lord that these players got CPR and his staff to believe in them.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by no2cyclones View Post
    Also, a friend and I were just discussing this: Mississippi State is one of those teams that seems like they're on the same tier as us in the college sports landscape. They don't really have anything against anybody, and they're a team that's cool to see do well every here and there. Go 'Dogs.
    Exactly. I'll be pulling for MSU for this reason, and for the fact that its Chizik on the other side.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 964
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I'm not terribly bothered. Athletes do it all the time. Why should coaches be held to a higher standard?It's a business. He'd have been an idiot not to take a double in pay, go to a premier football school, etc.
    I don't think the issue for the OP is that he left, its how he did it. If he'd have been more up front about it instead of deny, deny, deny, bail, I don't think many people would have been so upset.

I rooted against Auburn last year. However, with our better prospects for a reasonably good season this year, I find that I'm a lot more focused on ISU and not really paying attention to Auburn any more than any other school.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,540
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I don't think most ISU fans have a problem with him leaving for Auburn, we all realize it's a better job. It's the way he conducted himself throughout the process. Stating that he wasn't going anywhere, refusing to respond to Pollard's texts, and the 2 minute meeting with the players to inform them he was leaving.

Let's just say that he could have been a bit more classy about the whole deal.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,202
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 66

I have no respect of Chiz, so yes, I will always root against him. Same goes for guys like Brian Kelly, Bill Self, John Calipari, Rick Neuhiesel(sp?).

To look for other jobs while at one job is nothing new. Yes, free agent athletes do it, and I'll admit I've done the same thing myself. But I didn't walk in to my bosses office before hand and say that I am "firmly entrenched" with the company, only to take a new job a week later.

I would have had some respect for him if he were to say he was keeping his options open and would do what is best for his family. But to say he was "firmly entrenched" was an outright lie, and he didn't event have enough respect to stay and take the heat from the players on his way out the door.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    I don't think most ISU fans have a problem with him leaving for Auburn, we all realize it's a better job. It's the way he conducted himself throughout the process. Stating that he wasn't going anywhere, refusing to respond to Pollard's texts, and the 2 minute meeting with the players to inform them he was leaving.

This, and the fact that he went through the motions in Ames; hiring bad coordinators and sucking at coaching. I'm also one of those "kinship" Miss St. fans. I always cheer for the Bulldogs. I cheer for Wazzou for the same reason but wow, they suck. They gotta get rid of Wulff.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Walk On
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    I don't think the issue for the OP is that he left, its how he did it. If he'd have been more up front about it instead of deny, deny, deny, bail, I don't think many people would have been so upset.

I rooted against Auburn last year. However, with our better prospects for a reasonably good season this year, I find that I'm a lot more focused on ISU and not really paying attention to Auburn any more than any other school.
    This.

I understand people have their dream jobs. I also am not delusional enough to think that ISU is it for everyone. My problem came with the way he handled this situation. If when the Auburn job became available, he would have been honest with the AD and team, I believe -- at least I would have been alot more understanding of his situation.

I think it spoke volumes of his character, the way he left both his players and ISU out to dry. I just don't understand how you can go into a living room and spew lies to young men and there families on a program you had no intention on being loyal too.

Last edited by CloneSolo; 09-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post

Is there really a "classy" way to leave though? Bobby Petrino, Gene Chizik, Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian, Nick Saban, Brian Kelly, Rich Rodriguez, etc. all left their jobs and left a bunch of people ****** off, but there isn't really a good way to take another job without leaving everyone feeling alienated.