Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 125
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Points: 5,345, Level: 21
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    AllN4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    120
    Points
    5,345
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    I'm new to the site so if this has been covered forgive me. Tuesday Matt & Miller were arguing over whether Boise State deserves a shot at the title game. Matt P's argument was that they should get a shot if they are undefeated since they beat Virginia Tech. Miller's argument was that they have too soft of a schedule to earn a shot at the title.

    Boise knew coming into the year that they had to beat Virigina Tech to have any shot. They had all year to prepare for them knowing the rest of their games aren't nearly as difficult. If a I-AA team like UNI beats a BCS team and runs the table with their remaining games, no one would ever think of giving them a shot at the national title. Why would it be any different for Boise State? Strength of schedule is part of the BCS calculation for a reason. Boise is an excellent program and could play with any team in the country, but until you actually play a schedule like Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, Iowa, Texas, etc. you won't have my vote (not that I have any say.

    What are your thoughts?



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 62,350, Level: 77
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    azn4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    DSM
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    62,350
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Could not agree with you more.

    They have to get up for 2 games/yr. Boise can more or less play their starters 3 quarters the rest of the games.

    The lack of attrition makes a huge difference in the way your season plays out.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 469,690, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,727
    Points
    469,690
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 377

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    They still have to get by Oregon State, who is a very good team themselves, and they didn't have all offseason to prepare for them.

    My opinion is this - as long as they stay undefeated they should be in the discussion. If two (or more) BCS teams finish undefeated they clearly aren't going to get the title shot. The debate comes if Boise St is the only undefeated team and the rest of the BCS teams have one loss. If all BCS teams have two losses (which I can't see happening), Boise St should definitely be there.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  4. #4
    Recruit
    Points: 5,345, Level: 21
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    AllN4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    120
    Points
    5,345
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    They still have to get by Oregon State, who is a very good team themselves, and they didn't have all offseason to prepare for them.

    My opinion is this - as long as they stay undefeated they should be in the discussion. If two (or more) BCS teams finish undefeated they clearly aren't going to get the title shot. The debate comes if Boise St is the only undefeated team and the rest of the BCS teams have one loss. If all BCS teams have two losses (which I can't see happening), Boise St should definitely be there.
    This makes sense to me. I don't think a 1 loss team should be passed over by Boise, especially if the 1 loss team played in a conference championship game. I agree that it is highly unlikely there won't be at least a couple 0 or 1 loss BCS teams at the end of the year.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 105,674, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    105,674
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 0

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by AllN4Cy View Post
    I'm new to the site so if this has been covered forgive me. Tuesday Matt & Miller were arguing over whether Boise State deserves a shot at the title game. Matt P's argument was that they should get a shot if they are undefeated since they beat Virginia Tech. Miller's argument was that they have too soft of a schedule to earn a shot at the title.

    Boise knew coming into the year that they had to beat Virigina Tech to have any shot. They had all year to prepare for them knowing the rest of their games aren't nearly as difficult. If a I-AA team like UNI beats a BCS team and runs the table with their remaining games, no one would ever think of giving them a shot at the national title. Why would it be any different for Boise State? Strength of schedule is part of the BCS calculation for a reason. Boise is an excellent program and could play with any team in the country, but until you actually play a schedule like Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, Iowa, Texas, etc. you won't have my vote (not that I have any say.

    What are your thoughts?
    No.

    Reason:

    Virginia Tech, Wyoming, Oregon State, New Mexico State, Toledo, San Jose State, Louisana Tech, Hawaii, Idaho, Fresno State, Nevada, Utah State.

    Virginia Tech and Oregon State do not constitute an entire season.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 51,621, Level: 70
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,848
    Points
    51,621
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 63

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    My opinion is this - as long as they stay undefeated they should be in the discussion. If two (or more) BCS teams finish undefeated they clearly aren't going to get the title shot. The debate comes if Boise St is the only undefeated team and the rest of the BCS teams have one loss. If all BCS teams have two losses (which I can't see happening), Boise St should definitely be there.
    Short answer to the OP's question: Yes.

    I agree with this (above) however.

    My thought is, it's not Boise State's fault they've been left out before despite being undefeated, it's the BCS and the system. Granted, they play a lighter schedule, but they're trying to move that to a tougher conference and schedule non-con tough opponents. If there would just be a playoff in place, this wouldn't even be an issue. Win out to get into the playoff, decide it against the big boys.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 55,009, Level: 72
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,461
    Points
    55,009
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 234

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    No way - their schedule is unacceptable to get into the NC game even if they are undefeated.

    I do believe they should be in an 8-team playoff for the NC, if there were one...



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 36,564, Level: 58
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    helechopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,874
    Points
    36,564
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 60

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    They do not. They only play 2 tough games this season*, the rest are terrible football teams.


    * Boise State does need credit for beefing up their schedule this year. Also, I do understand that they can't help that they're currently in a crap conference.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 66,142, Level: 79
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,185
    Points
    66,142
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 44

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    They can be in teh BCS, but deserves no title shot unless everyone else loses 3 games.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 62,350, Level: 77
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    azn4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    DSM
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    62,350
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Ok, so followup question for everyone? How many teams right now would beat Boise on a neutral field?



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 43,182, Level: 64
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,518
    Points
    43,182
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 189

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    I think they absolutely deserve to be in the NC if they go undefeated AND either 1 or 0 other teams do. Sadly they won't because the media machine will go nuts after the head coach of a 1 loss team rants in press conference about how they're getting jipped. It's purely a bandwagon mentality that decides these things late in the season.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 43,182, Level: 64
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,518
    Points
    43,182
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 189

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by azn4cy View Post
    Ok, so followup question for everyone? How many teams right now would beat Boise on a neutral field?
    only a handful, and theres no team I'd say would be a lock to beat them.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 405,019, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,108
    Points
    405,019
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 118

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Its not necessarily about going undefeated, its also about who you beat. If boise state is undefeated and Oklahoma has one loss to say... OSU, they will still have beaten 9 BCS conference teams, or more than 4x what Boise State will have. Basically, on 9\25, both would have beaten 2 BCS conference teams. Then Boise State heads west for easy pickings, while at that point OU is just getting started with the difficulty in its schedule.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 31,554, Level: 54
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    06Panther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,745
    Points
    31,554
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Yes they do deserve a title shot. They have done literally everything possible to earn their shot over the course of several years now, and they deserve the respect. How many more teams do they have to beat?

    If the 'national championship' is only decided between the Big 10, SEC, Oklahoma, USC, and Texas, then it isn't a national title.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 62,350, Level: 77
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    azn4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    DSM
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    62,350
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does Boise State Deserve Title Shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by 06Panther View Post
    Yes they do deserve a title shot. They have done literally everything possible to earn their shot over the course of several years now, and they deserve the respect. How many more teams do they have to beat?

    If the 'national championship' is only decided between the Big 10, SEC, Oklahoma, USC, and Texas, then it isn't a national title.
    So throw out the fact that UNI is in the FCS... Theoretically, if they played their current whole schedule, plus beat Iowa and Iowa State, they would deserve to be in the NC?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM