Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Tailgating

So I have several concerns about this weekends tailgating. Hawk fans what exactly are the cops looking for when they come bust people? Are the rumors of DUI check points true? should we sacrifice and not tailgate in the more popular lots to avoid trouble from the police? I have a few guys going with me that arent 21 and do i just tell them you cant drink or what should we as far as avoiding all trouble from the police?

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

Re: Tailgating

Quote Originally Posted by clonefreek View Post
    So I have several concerns about this weekends tailgating. Hawk fans what exactly are the cops looking for when they come bust people? Are the rumors of DUI check points true? should we sacrifice and not tailgate in the more popular lots to avoid trouble from the police? I have a few guys going with me that arent 21 and do i just tell them you cant drink or what should we as far as avoiding all trouble from the police?
    I got to go with my Hawk buddy last week. Here is what I saw and what I have read on the boards. We parked in the Finkbine Golf Course Lot, which is where he always parks and I have been with him a few times. To me, it didn't really seem like anything changed. The cops rode around a few times in their golf cart but that was it. I did notice them ask a few people for IDs however so you might want to watch out for that. I have read that some lots, like Myrtle Lot, which is usually a little more party associated, was a police state. Cops threatening people to turn their music down, telling people to stop playing drinking games, the whole works. I guess it's probably going to come down to the cops that get stuck patrolling your lot.

The open container issue was a big one. Here is what I saw and found out. If you park west of the stadium and railroad tracks you are officially in University Heights and not IC. University Heights cops told KGAN last week that they do not plan on enforcing the open container law as their emphasis is more on underage drinking, house parties, and illegal parking. So, if you are on west Melrose across the ralroad bridge with an open beer, you're good to go. However, do not cross the bridge with that open beer because as soon as you hit IC limits, you are a target. I saw tons of cops near the stadium and their pens were nearly smoking from the amount of citation writing. If you want to go from lot to lot visiting people, finish your beer before you venture onto public land.

As for the DUI checkpoints, I never saw them, or even heard if they existed. I think they were more of a scare tactic. As I posted in a few threads last month, Iowa is one of a handful of states that DUI checkpoints are illegal. So if they plan on conducting them they can't do it on the streets. They may try to do them at the exits of the parking lots however so be mindful of that.

Here is my advice. If you can, try to park on a private lot. Lots of Melrose residents allow parking and some tailgating on their yards, however, you might pay a fortune for the access. If you do have to park in one of the University's public lots, just be mindful of your surroundings. Keep liqour hidden (way hidden as I have heard stories that they were searching people's cars) keep the stereo down, and if cops do start hassling you, don't give them any crap and just do as they say.

Yeah TOAST!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 800
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 6

Re: Tailgating

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    I got to go with my Hawk buddy last week. Here is what I saw and what I have read on the boards. We parked in the Finkbine Golf Course Lot, which is where he always parks and I have been with him a few times. To me, it didn't really seem like anything changed. The cops rode around a few times in their golf cart but that was it. I did notice them ask a few people for IDs however so you might want to watch out for that. I have read that some lots, like Myrtle Lot, which is usually a little more party associated, was a police state. Cops threatening people to turn their music down, telling people to stop playing drinking games, the whole works. I guess it's probably going to come down to the cops that get stuck patrolling your lot.

The open container issue was a big one. Here is what I saw and found out. If you park west of the stadium and railroad tracks you are officially in University Heights and not IC. University Heights cops told KGAN last week that they do not plan on enforcing the open container law as their emphasis is more on underage drinking, house parties, and illegal parking. So, if you are on west Melrose across the ralroad bridge with an open beer, you're good to go. However, do not cross the bridge with that open beer because as soon as you hit IC limits, you are a target. I saw tons of cops near the stadium and their pens were nearly smoking from the amount of citation writing. If you want to go from lot to lot visiting people, finish your beer before you venture onto public land.

As for the DUI checkpoints, I never saw them, or even heard if they existed. I think they were more of a scare tactic. As I posted in a few threads last month, Iowa is one of a handful of states that DUI checkpoints are illegal. So if they plan on conducting them they can't do it on the streets. They may try to do them at the exits of the parking lots however so be mindful of that.

Here is my advice. If you can, try to park on a private lot. Lots of Melrose residents allow parking and some tailgating on their yards, however, you might pay a fortune for the access. If you do have to park in one of the University's public lots, just be mindful of your surroundings. Keep liqour hidden (way hidden as I have heard stories that they were searching people's cars) keep the stereo down, and if cops do start hassling you, don't give them any crap and just do as they say.
    No wonder Hawk fans all say tailgating at Iowa is much better than ISU. Sounds like a great time.