Is buzz around this year's ISU/Iowa game muted?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Is buzz around this year's ISU/Iowa game muted?

Steve Deace talking about this topic this morning. He says that the buzz around this year's game is much less than other years. His stances:

-They are out of touch with their audience
    -Iowa now knows Nebraska will be in their division and this game is less meaningful

I don't think either of those are the case but his fill-in co-host (Tim?) had some good points:

-ISU is placing less emphasis on this game because of Paul Rhoads
    -ISU now knows its season isn't made by beating Iowa.

I think those are closer but I think the answer is much, much simplier:

-Iowa is really good this year and ISU is still building up the program. ISU fans are going to run much smack against a potential top 5 team in their house. I don't think it has anything to do with the Big 10 Expansion/Nebraska/etc. Its the fact that Iowa is really good and these are games they should win if they want to be elite.

Take basketball for example, Iowa is god-awful and before Hoiberg got a bunch of good transfers for 2011, ISU was on its way there too. And with Iowa being terrible, they don't really care about the ISU game (or basketball in general).

Thoughts?

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,296
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 230

Re: Is buzz around this year's ISU/Iowa game muted?

From my experiences at work and friends-alike for this year's game: Iowa fans are keeping their mouths shut because they are nervous for this game. I have heard a ton of comments on how ISU could win this game....from Hok fans. And most of these guys NEVER talk this way about ISU. We have an experienced team that has poise, and run an offense that can give their defense fits. That is why it has been quiet for the most part this week.

But wait until work/school for Friday, they will get back to their "talking" crap....just like it is every year. This should be a good show down on Saturday out of both teams.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Steve Deace talking about this topic this morning. He says that the buzz around this year's game is much less than other years. His stances:

-Iowa now knows Nebraska will be in their division and this game is less meaningful

I don't think either of those are the case but his fill-in co-host (Tim?) had some good points:

I think those are closer but I think the answer is much, much simplier:

-Iowa is really good this year and ISU is still building up the program. ISU fans are going to run much smack against a potential top 5 team in their house. I don't think it has anything to do with the Big 10 Expansion/Nebraska/etc. Its the fact that Iowa is really good and these are games they should win if they want to be elite.

Take basketball for example, Iowa is god-awful and before Hoiberg got a bunch of good transfers for 2011, ISU was on its way there too. And with Iowa being terrible, they don't really care about the ISU game (or basketball in general).

Thoughts?
    Simple . . I am sick of Iowa and its idiot fan base. I want to get the game over with so we can focus on the most important game of the season . . .Kansas State. Every advantage points to Iowa . . from the media darlings, to the press, home field advantage, high ranking . . . perfect time for an upset. Go Cyclones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 919
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 34

The buzz will be post-game this year what with the impending meltdown. When eiu gets this overconfident, good things happen...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 154

Did anyone else think they're delving into Big 10 expansion just shows how these guys (especially that Hawk fan) are still trying to salivate over the death of ISU football? The Hawk fan saying "Texas will be gone next year" just got me. Where's Texas goin' bro? It ain't the Pac-16. If Texas was going to leave, they would have just done it.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

I think ISU fans are tired. Even after excedeing all expectations last year, winning a bowl game and returning a lot of starters on offense, we still heard all offseason how bad we are. We are picked last in the Big XII even by some local media. We're told that we have no chance at a bowl with our schedule.

Basically after last year it's kinda like, what do we have to do to get some respect?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

Iowa is looking ahead. They think winning this game is a given. They think they already have their spot in the BCS title game. Listening to the callers this week and in this show Iowa fans are being more cocky than in the past.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 889
    Given: 769

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

I remember when beating Iowa was the primary goal of this program. Not any more. I have no idea how much emphasis Rhoads puts on this game but it would be impossible to match what Mac put on it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 636
    Given: 428

If ISU fans are one thing, it's cautious. Last year the consensus seemed to be that we'd have a damn good shot at an upset and we got SMOKED. Thus, this year, even though I think a neutral observer may saw our odds are actually slightly better this year, the die-hard Cyclone fans aren't going to allow their hopes to get up about it.

I also think there is a lot to be said for the larger goals of the two programs this year. Last year, just like it was for Chizik, a win against Iowa and a lousy record would have satisfied the fan base. The game has changed this year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 889
    Given: 769

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Did anyone else think they're delving into Big 10 expansion just shows how these guys (especially that Hawk fan) are still trying to salivate over the death of ISU football? The Hawk fan saying "Texas will be gone next year" just got me. Where's Texas goin' bro? It ain't the Pac-16. If Texas was going to leave, they would have just done it.
    Now Hawk fans aren't only cocky about their own team but now they are cocky about their conference. It's a double-******.

On a side note. I caught some of the B10 Network last night and the talking heads were ripping Boise St. and their schedule. It was a hysterical veiled attempt to preserve the Big 10's chances at a BCS title.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    If ISU fans are one thing, it's cautious. Last year the consensus seemed to be that we'd have a damn good shot at an upset and we got SMOKED. Thus, this year, even though I think a neutral observer may saw our odds are actually slightly better this year, the die-hard Cyclone fans aren't going to allow their hopes to get up about it.

I also think there is a lot to be said for the larger goals of the two programs this year. Last year, just like it was for Chizik, a win against Iowa and a lousy record would have satisfied the fan base. The game has changed this year.
    We were smoked because our qb fell apart in the second and third quarters when the game was close. We do not expect the same, but wee know it can happen. This is a HUGE game for AA to see how much he has improved. Looking for more Woody this game.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Now Hawk fans aren't only cocky about their own team but now they are cocky about their conference. It's a double-******.

On a side note. I caught some of the B10 Network last night and the talking heads were ripping Boise St. and their schedule. It was a hysterical veiled attempt to preserve the Big 10's chances at a BCS title.
    Maybe Iowa can replace the ISU game with little Boise State.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Yeah I think it will ramp up by game time. But I think both sides may be a little quieter right now.

Iowa - Knows ISU has a shot to win, being a rivalry and all, and are a little nervous and scared because they have high hopes for their team this year

ISU - We got drummed last year, and don't really know what our team is capable of this year, anything we run smack on can be easily counterred by the beat down we took last year

If we do pull this off, and I hope we do, it will be armageddon for EIU. They just can't rationalize that we are a BCS Conference team that won a bowl last year. We are not a slouch.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    From my experiences at work and friends-alike for this year's game: Iowa fans are keeping their mouths shut because they are nervous for this game. I have heard a ton of comments on how ISU could win this game....from Hok fans. And most of these guys NEVER talk this way about ISU. We have an experienced team that has poise, and run an offense that can give their defense fits. That is why it has been quiet for the most part this week.

But wait until work/school for Friday, they will get back to their "talking" crap....just like it is every year. This should be a good show down on Saturday out of both teams.
    Everyone thinks Hawk fans should be better people, but when we do exactly what you want and give your team credit by acknowledging how balanced the game will be there is still a problem.

I wonder why clone fans get portrayed as the whiney little brother.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 7

I think losing last year's game, and having such positive feelings the rest of the year removed some of the emphasis. Also nebby is the target of most hatred for this year anyways.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.