CFN Prediction
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57

Thread: CFN Prediction

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 26,112, Level: 49
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    Points
    26,112
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

    CFN Prediction


    Hereís The Deal Ö Over the last several years, Iowa State has taken its cuts and came up with some stunning wins in this series. Rarely have the Cyclones been better than the Hawkeyes, but the clichť of throwing out the record books when these two go at it applies. However, itís been all Iowa over the last two meetings with a dominant 35-3 win last year coming off a 17-5 victory in 2008. The expectations are through the roof for the Hawkeyes with the talent and the schedule to be a major factor in the BCS Championship race, but they need to be a bit better than they were in the 37-7 win over Eastern Illinois. While the offense kept the chains moving, the two fumbles werenít a plus and the team slowed down after a strong first quarter. Itís nitpicking considering the victory was nothing more than a live scrimmage, but for a team this good, it needs to be clicking this week before a dangerous trip to Arizona. Iowa State took care of Northern Illinois with surprising ease. The Huskies could end up winning the MAC, but the Cyclone offense moved well and the run defense slowed down the dangerous attack. With the Big 12 opener at Kansas State next week, this is a great test to see how much the team has progressed under second year head man Paul Rhoads.
    Why Iowa State Might Win: The Cyclone passing game is working. Everyone knows Alexander Robinson is among the Big 12ís most dangerous backs, and QB Austen Arnaud is at his best when heís on the move, but last week the offense was able to move the ball through the air with 265 yards against the NIU secondary. It wasnít the most efficient effort, but anything that can take the heat off Robinson is a good thing. Against the phenomenal Iowa defense, converting third downs is a must. That happens by making the down and distance manageable, and with a good short passing game the Cyclones should be in plenty of 3rd and two situations instead of 3rd and eight.
    Why Iowa Might Win: The Iowa running game should be able to manhandle the Cyclone defensive front. Last week NIU only gained 156 yards on the ground, but that was partly because DeMarcus Grady was at quarterback and there was no threat of being burned by the Huskie air prowess. Grady completed fewer than half of his passes for 93 yards and no touchdowns with three interceptions, but Ricky Stanzi isnít Grady, and bum knee and all, heíll be good enough provide a few big home runs. Iowa should have a much better time running the ball than NIU thanks to a more balanced offense and the emergence of Ö
    What To Watch Out For: Adam Robinson and the expected return of Jewel Hampton, who was suspended for the season opener. Hampton, the teamís best back, might not get to hog all the carries to himself with Robinson proving heís worthy of being the focal point of the ground game. The teamís leading returning rusher blasted out 109 yards and three scores on 29 carries against Eastern Illinois, and while Hawkeye fans want to see what Hampton can do, Robinson could still be the most effective runner. Heís a proven workhorse, but he wore down last year and now should be even more effective with a great back in Hampton to be the star at times.
    What Will Happen: Iowa State QB Austen Arnaud had a nightmare of a day last year against the Hawkeyes throwing four picks and just 79 yards in the blowout loss. Heíll make amends with a tremendous performance, but it wonít be enough as Iowa runs for 200 yards to overcome several turnovers on the way to the win.
    CFN Prediction: Iowa 27 Ö Iowa State 13 Ö Line: Iowa -13.5

    Scout.com: 2010 Big Ten Predictions - Penn St vs. Bama



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 55,783, Level: 73
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,952
    Points
    55,783
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 64

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Well somebody might as well call CPR and the team and tell them to cancel their bus trip.. No reason to go play the game now that we know "what will happen"



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 182,987, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,589
    Points
    182,987
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 464
    Given: 0

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Sounds about right to me.

    I'm actually thinking that the Iowa-ISU game will go a lot like the ISU-NIU game did last Thursday night.. with Iowa in place of ISU and ISU in place of NIU.

    I think Iowa will get out to a little lead, then let up on the gas pedal a bit and ISU makes it interesting in the 3rd quarter, but Iowa pulls away at the end to make it close to the same identical score of 27-10... in favor of Iowa.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 26,112, Level: 49
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,426
    Points
    26,112
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Sounds about right to me.

    I'm actually thinking that the Iowa-ISU game will go a lot like the ISU-NIU game did last Thursday night.. with Iowa in place of ISU and ISU in place of NIU.

    I think Iowa will get out to a little lead, then let up on the gas pedal a bit and ISU makes it interesting in the 3rd quarter, but Iowa pulls away at the end to make it close to the same identical score of 27-10... in favor of Iowa.
    +1



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 8,704, Level: 27
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    363
    Points
    8,704
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: CFN Prediction

    I'm prediction ISU 16-10 in overtime. We go on defense first in OT and get a pick 6. Wouldn't that be somethin?



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    372
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by kcclone33 View Post
    I'm prediction ISU 16-10 in overtime. We go on defense first in OT and get a pick 6. Wouldn't that be somethin?
    Even the more incredible considering the ball is instantly dead on an interception in overtime.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 55,783, Level: 73
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,952
    Points
    55,783
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 64

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by DolphLundgren View Post
    Even the more incredible considering the ball is instantly dead on an interception in overtime.
    Even more incredible is that you think thats actually the rule. The defense can return a ball for a TD to win the game



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 34,936, Level: 57
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    driegner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,134
    Points
    34,936
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by DolphLundgren View Post
    Even the more incredible considering the ball is instantly dead on an interception in overtime.
    I don't think that's true...

    EDIT: Looked it up. You absolutely can return a fumble/interception for a score to win.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 24,006, Level: 47
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,630
    Points
    24,006
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by DolphLundgren View Post
    Even the more incredible considering the ball is instantly dead on an interception in overtime.
    Hahaha. Wrong. And you sounded so sure...



  10. #10
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 272,593, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,900
    Points
    272,593
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 389

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by DolphLundgren View Post
    Even the more incredible considering the ball is instantly dead on an interception in overtime.
    Even more incredible is your lack of knowledge on the rules of college football.

    As for their analysis...I think it's dead on. Best national perspective on a non-national game I've seen in a long time.



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    372
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    I don't think that's true...

    EDIT: Looked it up. You absolutely can return a fumble/interception for a score to win.
    I was wrong.



  12. #12
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 291,559, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20,367
    Points
    291,559
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 732
    Given: 1,497

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by DolphLundgren View Post
    Even the more incredible considering the ball is instantly dead on an interception in overtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneGB View Post
    Even more incredible is that you think thats actually the rule. The defense can return a ball for a TD to win the game
    Extra Periods
    ARTICLE 3. The NCAA tiebreaker system will be used when a game is tied
    after four periods. NCAA football-playing rules apply, with the following
    exceptions:
    a. Immediately after the conclusion of the fourth quarter, officials will
    instruct both teams to retire to their respective team areas. The officials
    will assemble at the 50-yard line and review the tiebreaker procedures.
    b. The officials will escort the captains (Rule 3-1-1) to the center of the
    field for the coin toss. The referee shall toss a coin at midfield in the
    presence of not more than four field captains from each team and
    another game official, first designating the field captain of the visiting
    team to call the coin toss. The winner of the toss shall choose one of the
    following options:
    1. Offense or defense, with the offense at the opponentís 25-yard line to
    start the first possession series.
    2. Which end of the field shall be used for both possession series of that
    overtime period.
    Note: The winner of the toss may not defer his choice.
    c. The loser of the toss shall exercise the remaining option for the first extra
    period and shall have the first choice of the two options for subsequent
    even-numbered extra periods.
    d. Extra periods: An extra period shall consist of two possession series with
    each team putting the ball in play by a snap on or between the inbounds
    lines on the designated 25-yard line, which becomes the opponentís
    25-yard line. The snap shall be from midway between the inbounds
    lines on the 25-yard line, unless a different position on or between the
    inbounds lines is selected before the ready-for-play signal. After the
    ready-for-play signal, the ball may be relocated after a charged team
    timeout, unless preceded by a Team A foul or offsetting penalties.
    RULE 3-1 / PERIODS, TIME FACTORS AND SUBSTITUTIONS FR-65
    e. Possession series: Each team retains the ball during a possession series
    until it scores or fails to make a first down. The ball remains alive after
    a change of team possession until it is declared dead.
    However, Team A
    may not have a first and 10 if it again possesses the ball after a change
    of team possession (A.R. 3-1-3-I-XII).
    Team A and B designations are the same as defined in Rule 2-27-1.
    f. Scoring: The team scoring the greater number of points during the
    regulation and extra periods shall be declared the winner. There shall be
    an equal number of possession series, as described in (e) above, in each
    extra period, unless Team B scores other than on the try. Beginning with
    the third extra period, teams scoring a touchdown must attempt a twopoint
    try. Although not illegal, a one-point try attempt by Team A will
    not score a point (A.R. 3-1-3-XIII).
    g. Fouls after a change of team possession (A.R. 3-1-3-XIV-XVII):
    1. Distance penalties against either team are declined by rule in extra
    periods (Exceptions: Penalties for flagrant personal fouls, dead-ball
    fouls and live-ball fouls treated as dead-ball fouls are enforced on the
    succeeding play).
    2. A score by a team committing a foul during the down is canceled.
    3. If both teams foul during the down and Team B had not fouled
    before the change of possession, the fouls offset and the down is not
    replayed.
    h. Timeouts: Each team shall be allowed one timeout for each extra period.
    Timeouts not used during the regulation periods may not be carried over
    into the extra period(s). Unused extra-period timeouts may not be carried
    over to other extra periods. Timeouts between periods shall be charged
    to the succeeding period.
    Radio and television timeouts are permitted only between extra periods
    (first and second, second and third, etc.). Charged team timeouts may not
    be extended for radio and television purposes. The extra period(s) begins
    when the ball is first snapped.


    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

    May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 69,916, Level: 82
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,534
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    5,430
    Points
    69,916
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 128

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Didn't we lose to Missouri in 2004 in OT due to a pick 6? I tried to block that game out so I don't remember the specifics...



  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    372
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: CFN Prediction

    I was wrong.



  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 9,959, Level: 30
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    411
    Points
    9,959
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 10

    Re: CFN Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

    Hereís The Deal Ö Over the last several years, Iowa State has taken its cuts and came up with some stunning wins in this series. Rarely have the Cyclones been better than the Hawkeyes, but the clichť of throwing out the record books when these two go at it applies. However, itís been all Iowa over the last two meetings with a dominant 35-3 win last year coming off a 17-5 victory in 2008. The expectations are through the roof for the Hawkeyes with the talent and the schedule to be a major factor in the BCS Championship race, but they need to be a bit better than they were in the 37-7 win over Eastern Illinois. While the offense kept the chains moving, the two fumbles werenít a plus and the team slowed down after a strong first quarter. Itís nitpicking considering the victory was nothing more than a live scrimmage, but for a team this good, it needs to be clicking this week before a dangerous trip to Arizona. Iowa State took care of Northern Illinois with surprising ease. The Huskies could end up winning the MAC, but the Cyclone offense moved well and the run defense slowed down the dangerous attack. With the Big 12 opener at Kansas State next week, this is a great test to see how much the team has progressed under second year head man Paul Rhoads.
    Why Iowa State Might Win: The Cyclone passing game is working. Everyone knows Alexander Robinson is among the Big 12ís most dangerous backs, and QB Austen Arnaud is at his best when heís on the move, but last week the offense was able to move the ball through the air with 265 yards against the NIU secondary. It wasnít the most efficient effort, but anything that can take the heat off Robinson is a good thing. Against the phenomenal Iowa defense, converting third downs is a must. That happens by making the down and distance manageable, and with a good short passing game the Cyclones should be in plenty of 3rd and two situations instead of 3rd and eight.
    Why Iowa Might Win: The Iowa running game should be able to manhandle the Cyclone defensive front. Last week NIU only gained 156 yards on the ground, but that was partly because DeMarcus Grady was at quarterback and there was no threat of being burned by the Huskie air prowess. Grady completed fewer than half of his passes for 93 yards and no touchdowns with three interceptions, but Ricky Stanzi isnít Grady, and bum knee and all, heíll be good enough provide a few big home runs. Iowa should have a much better time running the ball than NIU thanks to a more balanced offense and the emergence of Ö
    What To Watch Out For: Adam Robinson and the expected return of Jewel Hampton, who was suspended for the season opener. Hampton, the teamís best back, might not get to hog all the carries to himself with Robinson proving heís worthy of being the focal point of the ground game. The teamís leading returning rusher blasted out 109 yards and three scores on 29 carries against Eastern Illinois, and while Hawkeye fans want to see what Hampton can do, Robinson could still be the most effective runner. Heís a proven workhorse, but he wore down last year and now should be even more effective with a great back in Hampton to be the star at times.
    What Will Happen: Iowa State QB Austen Arnaud had a nightmare of a day last year against the Hawkeyes throwing four picks and just 79 yards in the blowout loss. Heíll make amends with a tremendous performance, but it wonít be enough as Iowa runs for 200 yards to overcome several turnovers on the way to the win.
    CFN Prediction: Iowa 27 Ö Iowa State 13 Ö Line: Iowa -13.5

    Scout.com: 2010 Big Ten Predictions - Penn St vs. Bama
    With the exception of last year, Iowa has rarely been better than Iowa State over the last 12 years. Nice try at a dig at Iowa State though squawk.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM