Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 6

Re: Media bias on display (political)

Quote Originally Posted by EggMcClone View Post
    Part of it is because the Congressional approval ratings have very rarely gone over 50% in the last 30 years (Gallup's report on the poll can be found here). The latest poll had Bush below every president's low except Nixon so that's a little more newsworthy because of its historical value.

Even after the huge gains in '06 approval of congressional Democrats alone never went above 50%. That has fallen from a high of 50% to 29% for them. My guess based on other polling is the public wants this war to be over and it's obvious that isn't going to happen.

I did some searching on Google News and found that most of the articles talk about both Bush and the Congress, like this one from Newsweek. There really weren't a whole lot out there about either though.

If you want historical, Congress has the lowest confidence rating ever. Of course, you have to go to the biased source of Fox News to find this out.
    FOXNews.com - Poll: Americans Give Democratic Congress All-Time Low Rating - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I think that's a pretty fair and accurate assessment.

It's easier to set the sights on the executive (any executive) than it is on a collective body like congress. Be that fair or unfair. Even when congress was run by the Reps, it was all about Bush's numbers.

It's not really "news", not to say it isn't newsworthy - America rarely has a high perception of Congress, regardless of the party in control. Even during the last election cycle, I remember all the talk about Bush's low numbers, but not much on the Republican congress.

Congress is always a stalemate and public opinion is always low. When Slick Willy was in the White House, his numbers were always more talked about. The diff between the economic highs and the Monica-gate lows.

Not to mention, there are probably umpteen more polls regarding the president, than congress.

Again, not that it's right - just the way it is. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more opinion polls of congress and on specific issues. The polls on congress always seem to be rather general and somewhat vague.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Well, that is a great example of Fox's bias. If you read the original poll report the approval was lower than that in January right before the Democrats took control. They twisted the numbers to make it an "all-time worst."

It's funny that the Republicans are crowing about this when the drop in support is due mainly to Democratic voters upset that they haven't done more to stop Bush and the Republicans.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Someone who thinks there is no media bias to the left, please answer this question.
    A few that reported it ... also important to note that most of these polls are sponsored by a particular news/media agency, and thus if it wasn't their poll, they would be less likely to report it. Although I don't listen to talk radio, I'm guessing it was covered ad nauseam.

ABC News

Chicago Tribune

LA Times

Lincoln Tribune

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 6

Well, that is a great example of Fox's bias. If you read the original poll report the approval was lower than that in January right before the Democrats took control. They twisted the numbers to make it an "all-time worst." .
    What are your taling about? Straight from Gallop's mouth:

"The current confidence rating for Congress -- 14% -- is the lowest in Gallup's history for that institution. Although ratings of Congress have never been high, they were at the 40% level at the time of Watergate in the 1970s, and again in 1986."

It's funny that the Republicans are crowing about this when the drop in support is due mainly to Democratic voters upset that they haven't done more to stop Bush and the Republicans.
    Why is that funny? It shows that the Democrats don't have any solutions. They don't have the political capital to end the war and haven't offered any alternatives to how the war is being conducted. Voter dissatisfaction w/ a Democraticly controlled congress is to the Republicans benefit.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAggie View Post
    A few that reported it ... also important to note that most of these polls are sponsored by a particular news/media agency, and thus if it wasn't their poll, they would be less likely to report it. Although I don't listen to talk radio, I'm guessing it was covered ad nauseam.

ABC News

Chicago Tribune

LA Times

Lincoln Tribune
    How about ABC, NBC, CBS TV? Many people still get their news from the nightly news cast (although that number is declining).

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    How about ABC, NBC, CBS TV? Many people still get their news from the nightly news cast (although that number is declining).
    I listed ABC. The last CBS poll was May 18-23 and was 2% higher than the previous poll which was April 9-12, so I wouldn't expect them to report it. The last NBC poll was June 8-11. Here's a link to their Nightly News segment where they report it, and they also report the President's: NBC Nightly News

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    Actually, you are dead wrong.

My personal anecdotal experience has been that the "less gifted" students typically seek the "easier" majors like education and journalism.
    Have you ever heard this saying:

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.
    These few lines are by far some of the most ignorant and idiotic comments that I have ever heard. Yes, I'm sure you're right, that's why more and more teacher's are getting their master degrees and Phd's. Only "less gifted" people can take something complex (story writing, calc 3, nuclear sciences, etc. etc.) and morph the daunting language and processes of that subject into easier digestible terms for students to learn from. Here's $20, go buy yourself a clue.

If teaching was so much easier than being proficient in the subject matter, why are there so many districts lacking qualified teachers, and there's such a teacher shortage in America? How many jobs require you to take you're job home with you at night to correct/create tests, assignments, papers? Why are educators required to take the Praxis exam before even being accepted into the program? I know that engineers don't need to take a test to get accepted into their program, neither do architects. I guess you'd better home school your kids, so they can learn from a teacher who's qualified to deal with, help, guide, and educate, and not from a "less gifted" person who is certified in their field, and gets re-certified every five years.

Last edited by Cyclone62; 06-22-2007 at 07:41 PM.
    "Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The point is quite simple ... overall, media isn't that biased to the left, if at all. We can all take a selective sample of the media and say, "See, it's biased to the left" or "See, it's biased to the right".
    You, my friend, are missing the point.

There is a big difference between Rush Limbaugh (new media) and the CBS News with Katie Couric (old media). Rush is clearly conservative and let's everyone that listens to the show know that it is a show about his opinions. The CBS News, however, will claim that it is giving us an unbiased factual accounting of news with a hard journalistic bent when, in fact, they clearly put a liberal spin on nearly everything they do.

I have no problem with someone on the TV or radio being liberal...just don't insult my intelligence by claiming to be an unbiased journalist.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd be interested to see a study about education levels and voter identification, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if Republicans did have a higher average level of education because it's definitely true that a huge base of the Democratic party is blue collar workers while Republican voters tend to have more money on average. Also, when talking about things like that it's important to note that level of education definitely doesn't always correlate with intelligence.

With regards to some other things that have been discussed:
    I don't see what the difference is between Limbaugh and a newspaper columnist (not reporter). Both are paid to have and express an opinion on current events. A lot of those mentioned in the original piece that had donated to politcal campaigns fit that definition.
    The Democrat party also has a huge stronghold in impoverished urban areas where the education levels tend to be very low. A great example is New Orleans which typically votes 75%-80% for the Democrats. Many other large inner cities are the same.

I agree...Rush is the equivalent of a newspaper opinion columnist (in fact he has written numerous opinion pieces for the WSJ). The problem is that if you read the front page "news" on many papers you will find a heavy dose of opinion woven into the articles with none of it marked as an opinion piece.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    These few lines are by far some of the most ignorant and idiotic comments that I have ever heard. Yes, I'm sure you're right, that's why more and more teacher's are getting their master degrees and Phd's. Only "less gifted" people can take something complex (story writing, calc 3, nuclear sciences, etc. etc.) and morph the daunting language and processes of that subject into easier digestible terms for students to learn from. Here's $20, go buy yourself a clue.

If teaching was so much easier than being proficient in the subject matter, why are there so many districts lacking qualified teachers, and there's such a teacher shortage in America? How many jobs require you to take you're job home with you at night to correct/create tests, assignments, papers? Why are educators required to take the Praxis exam before even being accepted into the program? I know that engineers don't need to take a test to get accepted into their program, neither do architects. I guess you'd better home school your kids, so they can learn from a teacher who's qualified to deal with, help, guide, and educate, and not from a "less gifted" person who is certified in their field, and gets re-certified every five years.
    Man are you bitter! Maybe I should just cower under my desk since I have been called out by you as "ignorant and idiotic".

My son goes to a private HS that costs more than some colleges. Many of the teachers have either a masters or a doctorate in education. I also happen to personally know many of these teachers. They are great people but I can assure you that having a masters or a doctoral degree does not make you smarter than someone else.

Your question about why there is a shortage of qualified teachers really proves my point...more qualified people are going into other fields of endeavor.

As for the "plight" of teachers...working at night, having to pass exams, getting certified and re-certified...guess what, many fields of endeavor require these same types of commitments. I am in a field where I have to pass tests to be licensed and I have to meet yearly continuing education requirements. And guess what, I even have to take some work home on nights and weekends...unfortunately, I don't get a couple or three months "off" every year like most educators.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 10

...unfortunately, I don't get a couple or three months "off" every year like most educators.
    I was waiting for this to come up. My wife always complains about teachers. She is a registered nurse and has to put up with all the women on my street complaining about teacher pay. She makes less than a teacher, and does not get 12+ weeks of vacation a year.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, this discussion has quickly turned sour, but for someone to suggest, even based on personal experience, that education majors are less gifted was certainly going to ruffle some feathers. If I were to say (but I'm not suggesting any of this) that engineering majors were socially inept and only good with numbers, or that business majors were materialistic, money-grubbers, or that agriculture majors were redneck hicks, I'm sure that many would have taken offense.

Further, equating education majors with professors was obviously misguided as getting a doctorate in education is only one of many doctoral degrees. It is tough to argue against the thought that professors are some of the most highly educated people in the country. But that does not mean that they are smarter than everyone else, nor that they are in a better position to guide our country politically.

Finally, if I were to accept the hypothesis that "more qualified" people spurn teaching in favor of other endeavors, I would need to carry it one step further. That is, why is this happening? My argument would be because the demands for being a teacher do not equal the reward. The rewards can be both intrinsic (e.g., the joy of educating future generations) and monetary. For most, simply to be able to support a family, I believe the monetary reward is winning out. Thus, whether or not you are "more qualified", you can often earn more by looking elsewhere. If for no other reason, because you can get paid for working the entire year. If a teacher and another profession both get paid the same hourly wage, but the teacher only gets to work 75% to 80% of the year, it is monetarily more beneficial not to be a teacher. The supply for teachers would be higher with increased pay. Even so, "more qualified" people can have a higher utility (i.e., total reward) from teaching than from other endeavors that pay significantly higher if they view the intrinsic reward as important as the monetary reward.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Your question about why there is a shortage of qualified teachers really proves my point...more qualified people are going into other fields of endeavor.
    Could that be because other occupations are "easier" than teaching?

"Seven minutes to glory."

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, this discussion has quickly turned sour, but for someone to suggest, even based on personal experience, that education majors are less gifted was certainly going to ruffle some feathers. If I were to say (but I'm not suggesting any of this) that engineering majors were socially inept and only good with numbers, or that business majors were materialistic, money-grubbers, or that agriculture majors were redneck hicks, I'm sure that many would have taken offense.

Further, equating education majors with professors was obviously misguided as getting a doctorate in education is only one of many doctoral degrees. It is tough to argue against the thought that professors are some of the most highly educated people in the country. But that does not mean that they are smarter than everyone else, nor that they are in a better position to guide our country politically.

Finally, if I were to accept the hypothesis that "more qualified" people spurn teaching in favor of other endeavors, I would need to carry it one step further. That is, why is this happening? My argument would be because the demands for being a teacher do not equal the reward. The rewards can be both intrinsic (e.g., the joy of educating future generations) and monetary. For most, simply to be able to support a family, I believe the monetary reward is winning out. Thus, whether or not you are "more qualified", you can often earn more by looking elsewhere. If for no other reason, because you can get paid for working the entire year. If a teacher and another profession both get paid the same hourly wage, but the teacher only gets to work 75% to 80% of the year, it is monetarily more beneficial not to be a teacher. The supply for teachers would be higher with increased pay. Even so, "more qualified" people can have a higher utility (i.e., total reward) from teaching than from other endeavors that pay significantly higher if they view the intrinsic reward as important as the monetary reward.
    Hey, the sourness and feather ruffling started before me with Egg McClone commenting on the fact that the "educated and informed" (read smarter than everyone else) groups of educators and journalists were liberal...with the implication being that ergo liberalism is a superior thought process. All I did was bring up my anectdotal experience with those that pursued education and journalism as majors. Frankly, I was not trying to knock people in those professions...just make a point that they are not to be looked at as smarter than everyone else.

I agree, professors tend to be highly educated. I also agree that this does not make them smarter or more informed politically than the rest of us. It has been my experience that professors tend to have a very narrow scope of expertise (the area in which they are educated and informed on is limited). I have a friend that has his Ph.D. and is a geneticist. He is probably one of less than 25 people in the world that have the kind of knowledge that he has in his area of specialty. However, he is tremendously ignorant (ill-informed) in other areas that he does not focus on.

I also agree with you on the demands of teaching being more onerous today than in the past. In fact, the education system is set up to nearly replace the role of parents today. This means that the teachers have to get involved in issues that are now abdicated by many parents...everything from feeding the kids to teaching them moral / ethical behavior. I personally think these added non-teaching burdens have lessened the "intrinsic reward" a teacher used to get. However, I would not be a proponent of letting anything other than the free market determine pay for teachers.