Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

Gen Xer's

You need to remember, not everyone grew up or went to college in the Criner/Walden years. Gen X has experienced winless seasons and badly coached football teams that often underachieved and didn't play to win, but rather hopefully not to lose.

Students and recent graduates were born in the 80s. They happily enjoyed 27-9, 23-3, etc and don't know or care about the awful streak. One of my favorite quotes is from the senior Reggie Hayward who was asked a dumb question from an idiot reporter one time said, "I've never lost to Iowa".

Older folks, let go of the baggage. I realize its hard, but think of it this way: If Gene Chizik isn't a big step upward from Dan McCarney, then there would have been no reason to hire him!

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Gen Xer's

yeah, but im not going to hold my breath... any hire can be a flop.. *see criner... I have faith, but were not hawkeye optimistic yet, we arent going to win the national championship this year

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUclones33 View Post
    yeah, but im not going to hold my breath... any hire can be a flop.. *see criner... I have faith, but were not hawkeye optimistic yet, we arent going to win the national championship this year

Ahh... Crap, I was already printing Tshirts and Hats!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    You need to remember, not everyone grew up or went to college in the Criner/Walden years. Gen X has experienced winless seasons and badly coached football teams that often underachieved and didn't play to win, but rather hopefully not to lose.

Students and recent graduates were born in the 80s. They happily enjoyed 27-9, 23-3, etc and don't know or care about the awful streak. One of my favorite quotes is from the senior Reggie Hayward who was asked a dumb question from an idiot reporter one time said, "I've never lost to Iowa".

Older folks, let go of the baggage. I realize its hard, but think of it this way: If Gene Chizik isn't a big step upward from Dan McCarney, then there would have been no reason to hire him!

Can anyone say 2-10 their first season as a Cyclone? *raises hand*
    Anyone tired of seeing the every offense run the same play against us, because the same play worked for every team? *raises hand*
    I liked McCarney as a man, but Im glad to see new leadership for our team

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 299

75% passing completion against us says it all. Time for a new Sherriff.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    Can anyone say 2-10 their first season as a Cyclone? *raises hand*
    Anyone tired of seeing the every offense run the same play against us, because the same play worked for every team? *raises hand*
    I liked McCarney as a man, but Im glad to see new leadership for our team
    I can do worse...

I got to see 1-10 (in 1997) my first year, with the lone victory being a homecoming win over a Baylor team that was actually worse than we were. That victory also happened to end the nation's longest losing streak.

I liked a lot of the things about the McCarney era. I was sad to see him go. But I'm even more excited to see what the new blood around here is going to do to the program.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You need to take a step back, look at the big picture and then show some respect.

Those Generation Xer's you just lectured, along with older generations, are carrying those "students and recent graduates...that don't know or don't care about the aweful streak" in donations so chill out.

Its possible some day those "students and recent graduates...that don't know or don't care about the aweful streak" might be lectured about the McCarney years...

Last edited by SlyCy; 06-21-2007 at 08:27 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

I didn't start following ISU until my first year here, before that I was a Mizzou fan. Generally I tried not to pay attention until Basketball season started.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

We were a combined 14-49-3 in my 6 years (1991-1996).

Compare that with 16-8 in just two years (2000-2001) with 2 bowl appearances.

Don't know what I'm trying to say other than WE SUCKED while I was in school. Campus Bookstore was selling T-shirts with the following saying...

"Ames, A Drinking Town with a Football Problem"

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

My senior year was the year we went 0-10-1.
    Walden kicked a field goal at the end of the game at OSU instead of going for the touchdown.
    When asked about going for the tie instead of the win he stated something to the fact "Sometimes you play not to lose."
    What?!?!?!?!? They hadn't won a game and he was playing not to lose???

I was at a few Nebraska games where we didn't get a first down until the
    2nd half. When we did get the first down the crowd would cheer like we just scored a touchdown.

I, like many other alum, went through school without ever seeing us beat the Hawks.

I think that some people need a new perspective. You've been spoiled by recent "success." You've had a year or two that didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. Well lahdee frickin' dah. Don't knock those of us that have been through the REALLY bad times.

The Mizzou game and the KU game from a few years ago? That hurt. I'm not going to deny that, but after sitting through debacle after debacle......nothing surprises me anymore.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 30

Never coached a game and he is better than the previous guy, who took ISU to the only bowls in recent history? I agree, he looks like he could be better, but don't go out an name him the savior of the world before he has proven anything.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I can do worse...

I got to see 1-10 (in 1997) my first year, with the lone victory being a homecoming win over a Baylor team that was actually worse than we were. That victory also happened to end the nation's longest losing streak.
    Heh, that was the year I graduated, so I got to see the power walden years. Getting beat by 40-50 against every team above a div 1AA was not much fun.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

I suppose I represent the epitome of optimism in the "gen x" category, as my first year here was in 2004. I remember mid-way through the season the week before we'd beaten Nebraska, I figured out how ISU could win the Big 12 north. I showed it to a few of the veteran guys on the floor, and they just laughed, and laughed...

We all know how it ended, but my point is that a newfound surge of appreciation in our football program is actually benefitting ISU, and shouldn't be knocked on for not experiencing the pain and suffering of 0-12 or 1-10 years. It's exactly what's driving NCC memberships up, because those who are graduating left excited about ISU athletics, rather than turning their back on the program and going elsewhere.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

What a silly string.

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCy View Post
    My senior year was the year we went 0-10-1.
    Walden kicked a field goal at the end of the game at OSU instead of going for the touchdown.
    When asked about going for the tie instead of the win he stated something to the fact "Sometimes you play not to lose."
    What?!?!?!?!? They hadn't won a game and he was playing not to lose???

I was at a few Nebraska games where we didn't get a first down until the
    2nd half. When we did get the first down the crowd would cheer like we just scored a touchdown.

I, like many other alum, went through school without ever seeing us beat the Hawks.

I think that some people need a new perspective. You've been spoiled by recent "success." You've had a year or two that didn't turn out the way you wanted it to. Well lahdee frickin' dah. Don't knock those of us that have been through the REALLY bad times.

The Mizzou game and the KU game from a few years ago? That hurt. I'm not going to deny that, but after sitting through debacle after debacle......nothing surprises me anymore.

I had student season tix that year. 0-10-1. I went to every home game. I remember a game (Mizzou, I think) where it was raining lightly all day. There was maybe 3000 people in the stands. Anyone who was there was begging to see Troy Davis on the Field but Walden wouldn't play him. Wow, if is wasn't for the drinking before the game, I really don't know how I would have made it through a game like that.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)