Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Updates on Cap. City Classic? (6/20)

Haven't seen anything on it yet tonight so just wondering if anyone who went has any recap!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Re: Updates on Cap. City Classic?

In the process of uploading photos right now. A little over 50 to upload, just getting started...

LINK

Have some video clips and probably won't have those online for a day or two.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Updates on Cap. City Classic?

It was fun and I had a great time. This was the first time I've been to see some league games.

My wife kept track of points so I'll post those for the major ISU players, we kept pretty good track but I'm sure the numbers aren't perfect. Remember these are high scoring games, 90+...so some numbers might be inflated by that and also by how many players played/team. Here are the points, and then I will add my thoughts later tonight or tomorrow. Enjoy!

Coca Cola
    Corey Johnson - 24
    Bryan Peterson - 7 (1 three)

Gratias
    Diante Garrett - 16
    Jiri Hubalek - 20 (2 threes out of about 5 taken...just what he doesn't need...getting rewarded for taking those)
    Alex Thompson - 18

Medical Oncology
    Marcus Brister - 14 (1 three)
    Sean Haluska - 20 (3 threes)
    Wesley Johnson - 15 (2 threes)

Peak Performance Program
    Rahshon Clark - 8 (1 three)
    Mark Currie - 15 (1 three)
    Lucca Steiger - 8 (1 three)
    Clayton Vette - 5

Central Iowa Ortho.
    Charles Boozer - 20 (5 threes)
    Cameron Lee - 7 (1 three)
    Michael Smith - 4

Hot Shots
    Craig Brackins - 23
    Mike Taylor - 30

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Updates on Cap. City Classic? (6/20)

Here is a quick look at my Top 5 and Worst 5 from tonights game...this is more or less who impressed me based on my expectations beforehand.

Top 5 Players to impress me
    5. Lucca Steiger (Awesome court awareness, he knows where everyone is at and has great control of the ball with the ability to get the ball to anyone on the court, I only wish he would shoot more, but you can't blame him for finding the open guy.
    4. Sean Haluska (This guy will earn playing time this year, good shot, good hustle, good distribution)
    3. Craig Brackins (Once he started getting passes from Mike in the second half, the team erased a 20 point deficit)
    2. Corey Johnson (Very close second, worked harder than any other player on the court, had a very nice inside presence and was very physical)
    1. Charles Boozer (I did not have a whole lot of expectations beforehand so it was easy to impress, but he has a beautiful shot and seems very comfortable on the court with other top players)

Honorable mention (Diante Garrett played well and can take care of the ball; Bryan Peterson was amazing considering I had no expectation of him, he is very undersized, but he has a good shot, good ball control, and he does a great job of feeding the ball through tight spaces to the open man for an easy basket only 7 points for him tonight but he had numerous assists.)

5 Worst
    5. Marcus Brister (Played ok, and he does finally give us a big strong body as a guard, but he didn't start using that size as an advantage until later in the game...really he played fine and I had to search for someone to put as the worst number five...I could have easily left this as worst three players and given Alex Thompson a break as well.
    4. Alex Thompson (He played ok, but I was hoping he would make a stronger presence down low than he did...maybe I had too high of expectations for him)
    3. Jiri Hubalek (I don't think he fits in well with this style of play, it makes him feel like he can start shooting threes again, and he doesn't work on his post moves, he just did not seem to be playing like he really cared)
    2. Rahshon Clark (taking bad shots that were not falling, did not seem to be in control of anything)
    1. Clayton Vette (Slow, lazy, head was not in the game...lets hope he just doesn't get into summer league games)

Hope this gives some insight, it was great overall and probably just the atmosphere of a pick up game that made some players look like they didn't care all that much. Other players are just fun to watch. Mike Taylor has a very good game and it appeared that he was giving the ball up a bit more that what people have said in the past. In the second half there were two possessions in a row where Mike drove baseline and sucked in the defenders and dished it off to Brackins for an easy couple of dunks. Then late in the game Mike would feed the ball into Brackins and Craig would just back his defender up and take it into the basket (It looked like I was actually getting a glimpse into the future of ISU basketball)!

I encourage anyone to make it to the games!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

I have no problem with Jiri taking threes this season as long as he isn't our only post option and those threes come at times when they are within the offense. I think McDermott said as much last year that Jiri could shoot, but since we had no one else inside, he had to stay there. This year, it is possible that Thompson and Brackins can give us a post up threat to go along with Jiri. If that happens, then I'm OK with Jiri taking an occasional 3 pointer.

I know most fans are expecting an inside/outside threat from Brackins. Why not the same from Jiri. If he's left open at the top of the key and its in the flow of the offense, I see no reason not to let him shoot. As long as he doesn't take contested threes and doesn't force a lot up, I'm OK with it and I bet GMac will be too.

Now if Thompson and Brackins don't provide a post up threat this year, the Jiri will have to stay inside.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

Love to hear the play with Taylor and Brackins. Maybe they'll develop chemistry and show that when it counts.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

It's too bad Bryan Petersen doesn't have more size. I think he's the kind of point guard McDermott would love. I have two questions:

1. Where are these games played?
    2. Is there a schedule somewhere online for it? When is it over?

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

WOW! What game were you watching?

Alex Thompson DOMINATED tonight! He was all over the place smothering defense, the only one playing defense, made 2-3 beautiful 3 pointers, scored 20-25 pts altered shots, great hustle. I do agree about Staiger, excellent passer seems slow afoot but with his 90 mph pinpoint passes who cares? really dissaponted he didnt shoot more threes, had 2-3 larry bird eyes in the back of the head impossible passes. the best tonight= 1. Thompson 2. Corey Johnson, he dominated n carried his team. 3.sean haluska a true bb player where adam was mainly just a great athlete. 4. garett, a lil fella but he knows how to operate with the ball, excellent control n passing. 5. wesley, just like last yr but a bit stronger n better.ps i think clark set world record for most missed dunks, was disapointed in vette but keep in mind hes only 17, a redshirt might help him.

Last edited by copenhagen; 06-21-2007 at 01:57 AM. Reason: add more info

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 508
    Given: 470

I'm not sure why you have to create a 'worst' category.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 516
    Given: 336

Still sounds like our inside game will be a weak point with little driving the lane and kicking out. Sean may play more.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I also thought that Thompson played much better last night than previously. I thought he was extremely aggressive posting up and was calling for the ball a lot it was just some of the little guards on his team, not ISU teammates wouldn't give him the ball. Last night I was extremely impressed with Garret, the first game I watched him he looked good but didn't do as much of running the point. Last night he really ran his team well. He was calling out plays, telling people where to go, calling out picks from accross the floor, he truelly looked like the little general that we need. He definitely is a great ball handler and for as skinny as he is he definitely didn't shy away from posting up or finishing down low. Lucca definitely did not play as well as he did Sunday, he was still passing very well but his shot wasn't falling like it had been. But he was being guarded by Crawford so that probably had a lot to do with it. Mike played another very good game and as the previous poster mentioned he really didn't look for his offense until a lot later, he really looked to get Brackins and the rest of his teammates involved early and I really like the chemistry between he and Brackins when he drove and dished to him. I was disappointed in Jiri, not necessarily his play but his attitude, he was complaining about everything and even completely ran over Haluska after one of his missed layups, just completely floored him. I missed what led up to it so they could have been tangled a bit but it looked like just frustration on Jiri's part.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Sorry I meant to mention this before but I talked to Wesley before the game and he mentioned that the summer camp is still going on so I'm guessing these guys are putting in a ton of basketball, along with all their weightlifting, so that would explain some tiredness and lazy play. It has to be tough to lift weights, spend all day playing basketball in the 100 degree heat of Forker and then have to come down and play more games at night. So it only makes sense that these guys would be a little worn down by the night games.

All-Star
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 11

Attended all three games last night...

The +'s I saw were:

1. We have more potential on the inside than we give ourselves credit for...I thought Juri, C. Johnson, Thompson and Brackins did a very good job. For the most part, the guys played there positions.

2. Haluska, Garrett, Taylor, Peterson all appeared to be into getting everyone involved. Honestly, Peterson and Haluska were the best ones out there last night. Lee showed some spark and appeared to be in the right place most of the time.

Other comments:

1. Brister needs a lot more work. Loose handle and poor judgement.

2. Clark really is in an offensive funk. 3 for 13 at best. It appeared he was not always "in the game". Rashon needs to forget the three...that is not his game. If he can't shake this he will not see the playing time next fall.

3. I was hoping for more from Steiger. He appears to have the tools but for whatever reason, his team did not capitalize on them. He made some very good passes. He did not shoot enough.

4. Boozer...a lot of playground. There is potential but it's a ways off based on last night.

5. Vette...about what I expected. He will be a player that develops over several years. Big 12 size, huge calfs, needs to move his feet quicker and keep his hands up.

6. W Johnson...active as usual but not as effective as I had hoped.

Remeber, these are observations on playgorund basketball games. In general, I am pleased with the talent Greg is bringing in...we should have some good fun next season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

I have read in a number of posts about how well Cory Johnson is playing. What are the possibilities that he plays ahead of Clark and Thompson next year?

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I also attended the games last night. I only saw the 6:45 game and the 8:30 game, but a couple of things stood out for me. BTW: I saw ISUFan22 there. There was a nice crowd.

Game: 6:45
    1. Cory Johnson - The guy was hustling the whole game, banging down low and had an overall nice game. I really feel like he be a great asset this year. He is an excellent passer.

2. Vette - It looked like he was bothered by a hamstring. He wasn't moving very well and looked very frustrated. He did have some nice inside moves.

Game 8:30

1. Boozer and Taylor were doing a lot of talking at each other. At one point, Boozer and Taylor collided and Taylor told the ref that Boozer put his shoulder into it. (I watched Boozer a lot, because of previous posts about his attitude issues.) He has a good size and a good shot (although it looks awkward). He is confident and I did sense some friction between him and Taylor.

2. Brackins: This guy is special. He can do it all. The only weakness in his game is probably his outside shot. It seemed like early in the game he wanted to take the 3 more than a guy his size should (think Jiri). Once he started getting around the basket he dominated. Taylor and Brackins seemed to develp some nice chemistry. Brackins can dribble - at one point he took it coast to coast and layed it off the glass.

3. Young (Drake) that guy will continue to give us fits this year. He is just an all around good player. Drake is lucky to have him.

Those are just some of my impressions.