Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Knee Injury Question

Hurt my right knee badly tonight playing flag football. Oddly enough I was cutting back to the left off my left foot and as I made contact with another player my right knee just buckled or got smashed in or something, felt like it had to be from the side. It all happened very fast.

Definitely heard 3 quick 'pops' (pop-pop-pop very quickly) and absolutely hurt like living heck. I immediately tried to stand but the pain was too much, and was carried off to the sidelines. I have iced pretty consistent since, the swelling is significant, and I cannot really move the leg at all without a *****-ton of pain right now. (I did not go to the ER afterward, so that's a separate discussion). I will be going to the hospital bright and early tomorrow and am fearing the worst - ACL (because of the pops, the swelling, the pain, immobility of the joint right now, because of the pain and swelling). Anyone have any idea what else it could be, or by reading this does it definitely sound like ACL? My friends think it could be anything from a severe sprain or strain or MCL.... any hope it's something other than ACL? And is blowing an ACL by far the worst of all knee injuries? I've been an athlete in many sports my whole life and have never been injured once so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks...

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

Re: Knee Injury Question

I'd guess you just blew out your ACL.

And no, blowing out your LCL, PCL, MCL, and ACL would be worse. Dislocated knee cap would be up there on the ********* scale too.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

You can actually tear the ACL, MCL, and PCL all at once I'm pretty sure. Best of luck at the hospital tomorrow.
    Interestingly enough, sometimes you see athletes actually walk off the field under their own power after an ACL tear.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Also, why is it ok to say, "Blew out the ACL?"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    You can actually tear the ACL, MCL, and PCL all at once I'm pretty sure. Best of luck at the hospital tomorrow.
    Interestingly enough, sometimes you see athletes actually walk off the field under their own power after an ACL tear.
    Its possible to play through with the right brace and plenty of pain killers...

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 224

Definitely sounds like a sprain (tearing of ligaments). The popping you heard is the main give away for that. All ligament injuries, whether its the LCL, MCL, ACL, or PCL, will feel about the same when injured. Usually, MCL, injuries are from twisting, while the leg is straight. My guess is it's the ACL. You probably won't know how bad the sprain is until they give you an MRI. And hearing that you can't walk on it and are in a lot of pain, I would say it "might" be grade 3 (worst) maybe a grade 2.
    And as for knee injuries, a grade 3 ACL sprain is near the top of the list.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies so far. I will definitely be hoping for better news than what I think is coming tomorrow morning...

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Its possible to play through with the right brace and plenty of pain killers...
    I've heard of that I just think it's crazy some guys/girls can walk or even continue playing right afterwards.

Rookie
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I dislocated my knee cap when I was in high school. Tore my patellar tendon, maniscus (sp?) and fractured my femur. Worst thing ever. Good luck to you and may god have mercy on your soul.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    Hurt my right knee badly tonight playing flag football. Oddly enough I was cutting back to the left off my left foot and as I made contact with another player my right knee just buckled or got smashed in or something, felt like it had to be from the side. It all happened very fast.

Definitely heard 3 quick 'pops' (pop-pop-pop very quickly) and absolutely hurt like living heck. I immediately tried to stand but the pain was too much, and was carried off to the sidelines. I have iced pretty consistent since, the swelling is significant, and I cannot really move the leg at all without a *****-ton of pain right now. (I did not go to the ER afterward, so that's a separate discussion). I will be going to the hospital bright and early tomorrow and am fearing the worst - ACL (because of the pops, the swelling, the pain, immobility of the joint right now, because of the pain and swelling). Anyone have any idea what else it could be, or by reading this does it definitely sound like ACL? My friends think it could be anything from a severe sprain or strain or MCL.... any hope it's something other than ACL? And is blowing an ACL by far the worst of all knee injuries? I've been an athlete in many sports my whole life and have never been injured once so I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks...
    I blew out my knee back in 2006 playing slow pitch softball. Didnt have insurance so i couldnt have it worked on but i should have. Sounds like your knee is exactly the same. You will have surgery to fix it because you do not want to just let it heal like i did. I couldnt walk on it for a few months and walked with a limp for 6 months. Its still not the same and never will be. Just ice it and go have it looked at.

Heal fast man.

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

Here's to hoping its just a meniscus. I tore one playing basketball and one playing football. No matter what it is the stability tests won't be fun.

XBOX Live Gamertag: Mr Slip Wiggles

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

sorry to say, but most likely acl. may not be able to get mri until the swelling goes down. i have torn both acls, one when i was young and never got it repaired, and one a few years ago. i continued to play sports and ended up damaging my meniscus. had acl and meniscus repaired over a year ago. right now, fully recovered from surgery and a great physical therapy regiment is the reason why. you can definitely come back to basically 100% from this injury through a good rehab and easing back into sports slowly. of course, i hope it isnt a tear at all so you dont have to go through a few weeks of torture. good luck

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,216
    Overall activity: 99.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 956
    Given: 48

I've never done it, but I thought when you tore your ACL, walking was still fine, your lateral movements just were impossible to make?

The same type injury that you described happened to me when I tore my meniscus. I remember I would lay in bed and had to pick my leg up with my hands because it was so painful to try to it under it's own strength. They say it's a 3-6 week recovery, if that's the issue. I let mine heal on my own instead of opting for surgery, and am now a 27 year old with an arthritic knee, so if surgery is an option, you may want to do it. Don't know if that would have stopped the arthritis, but it's a pain now (pardon the pun).

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Torn ACL and meniscus

O well.

Already started physical therapy and will get the surgery in a couple weeks, after a buddies wedding I have coming up.

Still pain and swelling and a lot of stiffness, although flexibility is getting better by the hour. I'm hoping I can get walking normally soon and hopefully be able to drive a car soon (it's the right knee).

Knowing the facts, any advice/do's/don'ts?

Thanks again for all the replies...

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    Torn ACL and meniscus

O well.

Already started physical therapy and will get the surgery in a couple weeks, after a buddies wedding I have coming up.

Still pain and swelling and a lot of stiffness, although flexibility is getting better by the hour. I'm hoping I can get walking normally soon and hopefully be able to drive a car soon (it's the right knee).

Knowing the facts, any advice/do's/don'ts?

Thanks again for all the replies...
    Good luck with your recovery!
    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I'd guess you just blew out your ACL.

And no, blowing out your LCL, PCL, MCL, and ACL would be worse. Dislocated knee cap would be up there on the ********* scale too.
    My wife has done this twice. Has had two scopes to get loose cartilage taken out. She is 26 and will probably need a knee replacement by 40...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knee.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	7952  

2009 Insight Bowl Champions!