Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 668
    Given: 38

Do I have a case-hospital errors

I'm not usually the type to jump to conclusions, so I'm trying to get an outside opinion.

My dad went in for a bypass in the middle of August. During the bypass, he went into cardiac arrest and had to be revived three times on the table. After three days of being knocked out with a balloon in his heart, they finally removed the balloon and let him wake. He had complained how he couldn't move his left leg. They said he hadn't had a stroke, his leg would just be sore because the balloon went up that leg and stayed there for days. He just had to get circulation back in the leg and not to be concerned.

10 days later, they released him from the hospital. He still had no feeling in his leg, couldn't walk on it and they gave him no oxygen or medications. 18 hours later, he was back in the hospital and had fluid draining into his lungs. They removed 3 liters of fluid and looked at his leg. They said he had some dead muscle tissue and they would take it out and graft some back in. Well, I get a call today and am told that they're going to have to amputate his leg because it's completely dead tissue from the knee down. They're claiming it must have happened when they were reviving him, but to me it sounds like someone trying to cover their butts to prevent a lawsuit. If that were the case, shouldn't they have looked into it sooner, knowing that could be why his leg wasn't gaining any feeling? Should they have even let him leave the hospital in the first place if he still couldn't feel his toes that long after the surgery? To me, it sounds like someone backpeddaling to try to cover mistakes.

So, CycloneFanatic, what's your take on it?

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 16

Re: Do I have a case-hospital errors

I'm about as far away from a doctor as you can get.. I have no idea so I'm not touching this one acting like I do..

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 125

Should have called House, rookie mistake.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I would ask this guy:

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,572
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 10

this is America - sue first ask questions later

read this post quickly - it might not last long

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

once again, this is a board that went 10 pages on the merits of Julie the Cat Gaffney vs. Goldburg. Consult a lawyer, not a message board.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 668

I wasn't really looking for legal counsel, I was just trying to get an outside opinion, maybe see if I'm overreacting toward a stressful situation or if others would legitimately feel the same way.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,577
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 28

Sounds like they saved his life several times, sometimes when your heart stops because of your disease the blood flow to your extremities isn't great. Why not blame the disease, sounds like the docs got your father out alive which if his heart stopped three times is quite heroic.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I would probably pursue finding out more information, I don't know how you go about doing that. It's tough because on one hand, they were "heroic", however heroism falls short if there was negligence or something was neglected that should have been noted. The fact he was in 18 hours later with dead muscle tissue and they didn't pursue it more certainly isn't heroic, imo, losing a leg isn't a thing you just overlook.

Last edited by simply1; 09-07-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I'm not usually the type to jump to conclusions, so I'm trying to get an outside opinion.

My dad went in for a bypass in the middle of August. During the bypass, he went into cardiac arrest and had to be revived three times on the table. After three days of being knocked out with a balloon in his heart, they finally removed the balloon and let him wake. He had complained how he couldn't move his left leg. They said he hadn't had a stroke, his leg would just be sore because the balloon went up that leg and stayed there for days. He just had to get circulation back in the leg and not to be concerned.

10 days later, they released him from the hospital. He still had no feeling in his leg, couldn't walk on it and they gave him no oxygen or medications. 18 hours later, he was back in the hospital and had fluid draining into his lungs. They removed 3 liters of fluid and looked at his leg. They said he had some dead muscle tissue and they would take it out and graft some back in. Well, I get a call today and am told that they're going to have to amputate his leg because it's completely dead tissue from the knee down. They're claiming it must have happened when they were reviving him, but to me it sounds like someone trying to cover their butts to prevent a lawsuit. If that were the case, shouldn't they have looked into it sooner, knowing that could be why his leg wasn't gaining any feeling? Should they have even let him leave the hospital in the first place if he still couldn't feel his toes that long after the surgery? To me, it sounds like someone backpeddaling to try to cover mistakes.

So, CycloneFanatic, what's your take on it?

Dont sue. You are lucky the doctors were there and were able to revive your dad 3 times.

I used to be an EMT, and just because he cant feel his leg doesnt mean he had a stroke. I'm sick of seeing some ******** in order to sue a doctor. This is just plain stupid.

Why would you be asking a message board if you should sue?

How about going to another doctor and getting a second opinion.

Logical people would say "hey this doctor saved my dads life" but no you are saying "hey I should sue the doctor because he cant feel his leg".

So stupid.

Last edited by TykeClone; 09-07-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: removed attac

Thumbs Up

Oh I would also like to add that if your dad is suffering from a stroke you should go to the ER and make sure the stroke wont go to his brain. Then you will be in a world of hurt.

Does your dad have any weakness in his arms, how about doing a test to see if he is showing stroke symptoms?

Have him put his hands infront of him and close his eyes.

If his arms drop slowly without him noticing he is showing signs of a stroke.

Although he's probably weak from his surgery.

Sorry if I'm being an ***, but I see people like you all the time who are like what someone said above me "sue first ask questions later".

Dont you think you should be getting your dad healthy and worrying about legal issues later?

Take him to a different doctor if you think that the other one was incompitent.

/rant

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bringing someone back isn't like on tv...in fact it usually doesn't work. The fact that he died three times is a miracle. If you are dead, you should't be too critical of the condition you are brought back to, just be glad you are back because it is extraordinary. Just google the survival rates to discharge from an in hospital cardiac arrest. Of course tissue dies when your heart stops. If you don't want revived except in perfect health sign a DNR.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 246

I'm actually surprised we have any surgeons left.

You spend your first 30+ years in school pounding the books and working 90+ hours/week in med school, residency and your fellowship all the while going deep into debt.

Then you save the life of an older guy with a bum ticker and his family wants to sue you and the hospital because there were complications during the procedure because of said bum ticker.

Unbelievable. And people wonder why health care costs continue to skyrocket.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HerkyKiller View Post
    Oh I would also like to add that if your dad is suffering from a stroke you should go to the ER and make sure the stroke wont go to his brain. Then you will be in a world of hurt.

[/B]all strokes "go to the brain"...a stroke is when your brains isn't getting blood whether from a clot, plaque, bleed, etc.[/B]

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Cool Re: Do I have a case-hospital errors

I'm just glad every time I make a mistake at my job people aren't lining up to sue me. Doctors need to be sheltered more from lawsuits, just my opinion. Doctors are human, and humans make mistakes.

King James