Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

Jamie Pollard hires African-American

http://cyclones.cstv.com/genrel/042806aac.html

I can't believe how such a known racist bastard would hire a black guy for his staff.

Just so there is no confusion, this is in response to all of the people that said race had something to do with him firing Morgan and Douglas retiring.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 605
    Both JP new hires were from UNI. Probably McD recommended them to be hired. A better one is Capel of okahoma JUST NOW hired his second coach today. Bad for Oklahoma recruiting. McD brought two coaches with him the first day. McD is much better organized than Capel appears to be.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 15
    I've liked a lot of your posts, Bryce, but that wasn't one of them. Nobody called Pollard a racist bastard that I've seen on the boards or heard on the air waves, but there is reason to wonder if subtle racism could have been involved in the Morgan firing (the Douglas retirement was expected sooner or later). College coaches just aren't fired after only 3 years, especially at Iowa State and especially with Morgan's overall record and some post season success. And I don't think many people really believe Pollard was the driving force behind Morgan's firing. When big money talks, it usually gets its way.

Starter
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Cyko, you really need to get on with your shallow, empty life and get over the Morgan dismissal. A local idiot from the Register called out the ISU athletic department and suggest race was a factor in the Morgan-Douglas procedure. When Pollard saw how far the men's basketball program had deteriorated this winter, he took the appropriate corrective action. Everyone but you has that figured out by now.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    I understand what you're saying CYKO, and this post wasn't meant to be liked. Obviously I was exaggerating. But I'm ****** at the insinuation of racism about the firing, I think it carries no water and the "big money donors" wanting the black guy out as coach is pure speculation. If Wayne would have won and kept control of his team, he would still be here.

Frank Solich was fired from Nebraska because people didn't think his system could work. Herb Sendek was fired from NC State this year after getting 22 wins, and going 10-6.

I agree, college coaches at ISU haven't been fired after only three years. But this isn't the same old ISU under Pollard. I've been given no reason to think that Pollard isn't his own man and he takes care of his own business. The assumption that he is beholden to the donors is insulting as well.

I could be naive. But I just don't think it's that complicated.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    >>>College coaches just aren't fired after only 3 years, especially at Iowa State and especially with Morgan's overall record and some post season success.>>>

They are fired within 3 years if: 1) They were underqualified to begin with; 2) Hired by an AD that some qualified coaches didn't really want to work for; 3) There was a deterioration of discipline within the program that was unlikely to be recaptured and 4) you have a 3 year conference record of 22-26 that is unlikely to be improved upon in the forseeable future.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3
    I agree with Bryce. Race seems to be the easy card to play since it happened to be an African-American coach that got fired. Will we ever truly know if race played an issue? Probably not. But to attack the character of our new AD based on one coaching change decision and one retirement of another coach is completely absurd. I have faith in Geoffry that he wouldn't hire a "racist bastard." And for those of you who think Pollard is racist, who would you rather have coaching our basketball team and wrestling team? That Cael Sanderson guy was pretty good in his day if I can remember right and that McDermott guy didn't do too bad for himself over at UNI. Pollard hired/promoted the best people for the jobs. End of story.

www.drivethelane.com/bask - A great college basketball simulation. Give it a try, it's FREE, not to mention addicting.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    [quote1146585791=CYKOFAN]
    College coaches just aren't fired after only 3 years, especially at Iowa State and especially with Morgan's overall record and some post season success. [/quote1146585791]Pollard actually has vision, dreams, and EXPECTATIONS for the athletic department.

Morgan wasn't going to meet Pollard's criteria, so adios to Wayne. Morgan being black has nothing to do with it

Duke Kahanamoku

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    [quote1146587443=cykadelic]
    There are fired within 3 years if: 1) They were underqualified to begin with; 2) Hired by an AD that some qualified coaches didn't really want to work for; 3) There was a deterioration of discipline within the program that was unlikely to be recaptured and 4) you have a 3 year conference record of 22-26 that is unlikely to be improved upon in the forseeable future.
    [/quote1146587443]

Well said!

Throwing seven different kinds of smoke!

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,534
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 128
    Didn't KCCI do a story on the lack of African Americans in the ISU athletic dept right after this all happened as well? I do not live locally, but I remember hearing something on that.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    [quote1146589316=nj829]
    Didn't KCCI do a story on the lack of African Americans in the ISU athletic dept right after this all happened as well? I do not live locally, but I remember hearing something on that.
    [/quote1146589316]I'm not sure why they don't do an expose' on Iowa.

Stringer & Raveling left years ago.

Gable never recruited black star wrestlers for personal reasons--in 20 years, until Joe & TJ Smith

KCCI can kiss our *****

Duke Kahanamoku

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    I'm pretty sure race had nothing to do with the firing of Morgan and the retirement of Douglas. Morgan was fired because the wheels were falling off his program and Douglas retired (whether his was asked to or not) because he wasn't exactly getting the job done eitber - Cael has been basically running the program for two years now. Pollard was close to getting Jeter from Wisconsin-Mil, but McDermott was the preferred choice. Actually, ISU was a leader in hiring minorities in AD, think of Gene Smith - ISU hired him almost 15 years ago.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 15
    No reason to throw out personal insults, old geezer, and I'm pretty happy with the quality of my life. From your angry post, though, sounds like you could have some problems. I'm long over Morgan getting fired, I was just responding to Bryce's post and giving my opinion that I think there are reasons to believe there could have been some subtle racism involved considering the short period Morgan was at ISU and his relatively good record. There are other people that feel the same way, no need to bash us for it. I also know that Pollard was closely scrutinizing the basketball staff from very early in the season. That came from a very reliable source and is now pretty much public knowledge. That seems rather unusual considering we had just been to the NCAA, won a game, then got beat by the National Champions. I don't think it's a stretch to think that the big donors put pressure on the new ad to get rid of a coach they didn't want. That's the way it usually happens. Am I 100% sure that is what happened, no, but I think it's highly likely. I'll be supporting G-Mac 100%, but that doesn't change my opinion that something smells about Morgan not getting one more year to bounce back from this mediocre one.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    I still don't think race played into any part of this decision, whether some people think something is "fishy" or not about the whole ordeal. The fact is Morgan never should have been the coach in the first place - Pollard was just speeding up the inevitible. I guarantee Douglas and Morgan won't be the last black head coaches at ISU, but for the time being Cael is a living legend and McDermott is (and hopefully proves to be) a better bb coach than morgan. I'm writing this in case the last post was directed at me.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Herb Sendek was fired from NC State this year after getting 22 wins, and going 10-6.

Sendeck was never fired. Arizona State gave Sendeck a bunch of money to coach their team. Sendeck left NC-State. NC-State never fired Sendeck.

"Don't look now, but Iowa could be a final4 team"

-Overheard in Iowa City moments before 1st round NCAA loss