Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 169

Re: Non-Conference Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseCyclone View Post
    Its a really solid schedule. Georgia State is probably a top 10 mid major. Mary, ASU, Arky, So Car and Bama being down isn't Fred or Pollard's fault. And they deserve credit for having a few of those teams and not just 1-2 so the schedule isn't "bad" with them down. Im counting 7 solid games including Iowa and a handful of OK lesser teams Southern, Lamar, UMKC, Oakland, and Drake are tests to a degree. Blue bloods are hard to schedule can probably only get them in a 1 off game in Chicago at the United Center.
    Maryland, Arkansas, Arizona State and Alabama are all scheduled because of the Big 12/SEC Challenge and the tourney Iowa State is playing. Not sure I give teams credit for "scheduling" games against those teams. The solid games are Arkansas and @Iowa, who are both likely ncaa tourney double digit seed teams. Ga. State should be the Sun Belt favorite and is a decent game, as is Maryland and 'Bama. South Carolina is at best an NIT team that could spring a few upsets here and there next year. Arizona State will not be good next year. Sendek may be job hunting next offseason.

All-Star
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 27

Weak non-con SOS (which this most certainly is) is fine as long as you run the table and then do very well in conference. If you end up with a worse than expected conference record then that weak non conf schedule really comes to back to bite you.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 1,126

Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    Weak non-con SOS (which this most certainly is) is fine as long as you run the table and then do very well in conference. If you end up with a worse than expected conference record then that weak non conf schedule really comes to back to bite you.
    It's a schedule that requires us to run the table. There's not an acceptable loss on that docket.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 949
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 4

Not the fanciest. Hopefully one more good year and we can break into that mini-round robin the top fifteen or so programs in the country seem to start every year with each other (KU, UNC, UK, MSU, on down, more recent additions like Arizona starting to go into it). I feel bad there is nothing as awesome as Michigan was on there last year, though. How long until we can talk Wisconsin into a home-and-home series? Madison and Ames aren't too far from each other, and we're the best two programs in the stretch between Chicago and Kansas City up to the Canadian border and down to Louisville right now. I would think it would be obvious.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 169

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmapolis View Post
    Not the fanciest. Hopefully one more good year and we can break into that mini-round robin the top fifteen or so programs in the country seem to start every year with each other (KU, UNC, UK, MSU, on down, more recent additions like Arizona starting to go into it). I feel bad there is nothing as awesome as Michigan was on there last year, though. How long until we can talk Wisconsin into a home-and-home series? Madison and Ames aren't too far from each other, and we're the best two programs in the stretch between Chicago and Kansas City up to the Canadian border and down to Louisville right now. I would think it would be obvious.
    That would be a great series. Both teams have excellent home courts and are at high points right now.

Recruit
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmapolis View Post
    A series with Wiscy would be fun, but I think that I would still prefer a Minnesota/ISU match-up only for twin city recruiting purposes. I really think Patino is going to make the Gophers relevant and that is such an easy trip to make for fans. Perhaps not the smartest move for Minnesota right now, but as they improve I could see that being a really fun rivalry. If they do improve as I expect and start sinking the money into the facilities that they need to I wouldn't think the recruiting downsides would be as big of a deal for Minnesota.

"Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses." -George Washington Carver

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 0

you guys can dream up all the "fun" series you'd like, but none of them would be "fun" for an opposing coach or team.

wisky doesn't need to bother with us, they've already been able to get a home-home with Florida, they get a great ACC team, + Marquette and a good tourney. they're full.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    This. That is why we are playing South Carolina in Brooklyn. As long as our teams remain competitive and Hilton Magic is alive, we won't get a high or mid profile non-conference team to come to Hilton. It's a good problem for ISU to have but still very annoying.
    While this has some truth to it, I don't really buy it either. For all the credit ISU fans give Hilton (justifiably so) there are plenty of teams that are very, very good at home. If teams won't come to ISU, I assume KU, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Memphis, VCU, Creighton, and many teams I am not aware of have the same problem. Hell, K State is very good at home.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    It's a schedule that requires us to run the table. There's not an acceptable loss on that docket.
    @ Iowa wouldn't be a bad loss. For some reason I thought Georgia St. was at a neutral location; otherwise I'd say that game as well. But even 2 losses would be pretty disappointing with this schedule.

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 11

I'm an optimist, and I believe this new team can go even further then this past team... short of a broken foot. And we could run the table and win every non-conference game. However, I fully expect to have bumps in the road and lose 2 or 3 non-conference games. We were very fortunate to win some of those games last season including Drake of all teams. I'd be shocked if we don't have some slip ups...especially early. But that will not change my mind that we are now in the era of playing for championships.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,873
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by VAISUFAN View Post
    I'm an optimist, and I believe this new team can go even further then this past team... short of a broken foot. And we could run the table and win every non-conference game. However, I fully expect to have bumps in the road and lose 2 or 3 non-conference games. We were very fortunate to win some of those games last season including Drake of all teams. I'd be shocked if we don't have some slip ups...especially early. But that will not change my mind that we are now in the era of playing for championships.
    Especially because we didn't play them!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

While this has some truth to it, I don't really buy it either. For all the credit ISU fans give Hilton (justifiably so) there are plenty of teams that are very, very good at home. If teams won't come to ISU, I assume KU, Wisconsin, Gonzaga, Memphis, VCU, Creighton, and many teams I am not aware of have the same problem. Hell, K State is very good at home.
    actually its true. almost all those teams have a hard time getting home games. even KU had a hard time finding a home-home opponent two years ago. so who did they schedule? Colorado. What happens? They lose to the Buffs on a last second shot.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87

Nebraska, mizzou, minny, Illinois all make a ton of regional and history sense. There are any number of interesting mid majors that would kill for a home/home with us. Why are we playing some of these teams instead of vcu, byu, San Jose st, etc? Do you honestly care if you get 15 or 16 home games instead of 17 if they are crap opponents? How much more would the AD make on a good game that is televised over a string of mc22 games?

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    actually its true. almost all those teams have a hard time getting home games. even KU had a hard time finding a home-home opponent two years ago. so who did they schedule? Colorado. What happens? They lose to the Buffs on a last second shot.
    Well OK, if it's true, schedule some away games then. All those teams that can't get a good team to come there should be glad to have us then. Losing @ a good team early in the year won't hurt you at all, and really helps if you get the W.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well OK, if it's true, schedule some away games then. All those teams that can't get a good team to come there should be glad to have us then. Losing @ a good team early in the year won't hurt you at all, and really helps if you get the W.
    but we don't make any money on away games. need to have the home games for $$$$.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Nebraska, mizzou, minny, Illinois all make a ton of regional and history sense. There are any number of interesting mid majors that would kill for a home/home with us. Why are we playing some of these teams instead of vcu, byu, San Jose st, etc? Do you honestly care if you get 15 or 16 home games instead of 17 if they are crap opponents? How much more would the AD make on a good game that is televised over a string of mc22 games?
    i'm sure if we carried enough weight to get on tv we would. but we don't.

nebraska could be a possibility, but only because of hoiberg's ties there. doesn't really make much sense for us or them.