Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 96
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 850,860, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,271
    Points
    850,860
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,723
    Given: 429

    Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"


  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,581, Level: 63
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,767
    Points
    42,581
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 559

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    That is a good philosophy for life in general. I think Rhoads had enough of the "perishing" last season. Let's hope this is an "adaption" season.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 428,071, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,128
    Points
    428,071
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,304
    Given: 970

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Still adapting under the five year plan. "Trying to avoid perishing" may be our slogan.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 85,125, Level: 90
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,281
    Points
    85,125
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 382
    Given: 51

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    The last two Big 12 Champions were Baylor and Kansas State. Two perennial losers. It's safe to say it's possible to adapt if the right guy is leading the charge.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 428,071, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,128
    Points
    428,071
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,304
    Given: 970

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. Forget location.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 125,464, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    aeroclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Points
    125,464
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 537
    Given: 182

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    The last two Big 12 Champions were Baylor and Kansas State. Two perennial losers. It's safe to say it's possible to adapt if the right guy is leading the charge.
    I think this does go a long way to prove that the right coach and the right system can win anywhere. We all know OSU was on the cusp of playing for a national title, but looking back to the early 2000s they weren't in a much different place as a program than we were. That said, with the current state of our program and the league, I'm having a hard time seeing us becoming a team that consistently finishes above .500, let alone one that can compete for any kind of championships.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 29,867, Level: 53
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 983
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    Points
    29,867
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 247

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Yes, we have to adapt to the Big 12 schedule, but let's hope that we get smarter with the scheuling of our pre-conference games.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  8. #8
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 3,474, Level: 17
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 376
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    South Cackalacky
    Posts
    230
    Points
    3,474
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 96

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Einhorn is Finkle, Finkle is Einhorn.



  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 11,923, Level: 32
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    cyowan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    390
    Points
    11,923
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 205

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    I think this does go a long way to prove that the right coach and the right system can win anywhere. We all know OSU was on the cusp of playing for a national title, but looking back to the early 2000s they weren't in a much different place as a program than we were. That said, with the current state of our program and the league, I'm having a hard time seeing us becoming a team that consistently finishes above .500, let alone one that can compete for any kind of championships.
    Similar to KU and Mizzou back in the late 2000's. Programs can get better if they have the right people in place. I'm not satisfied finishing 6-7 anymore. If those programs can do it, why can't we?



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 70,624, Level: 82
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 826
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,853
    Points
    70,624
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 469
    Given: 105

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post
    Similar to KU and Mizzou back in the late 2000's. Programs can get better if they have the right people in place. I'm not satisfied finishing 6-7 anymore. If those programs can do it, why can't we?
    I would be happy to get back to 6-7 at this point.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 68,525, Level: 81
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,225
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,267
    Points
    68,525
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 101

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Comparing ISU to Baylor and KSU is just wrong. KSU has had 15 years of elite success. BCS (or that level) bowl games, top 10 rankings, you name...KSU has been a solid program since the late 90's. As much as we all want to compare ISU to KSU it is about like comparing ISU to Iowa. Just not a good comparison. ISU to Baylor? Yeah, if you think Baylor doesn't have significant recruiting advantages to ISU just because they are "Baylor" you'd best get a clue. Also, who does Baylor play in the the non conference? A team like Iowa? Nope.

    Truth is that the dream of CPR taking ISU out of the gutter is gone. ISU is just going to be a 6 win or less (sometimes much less) team from here until they throw dirt on me, and I'm 36. I'll be season ticket holder cheering my *** off until that day....just best to face facts now.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 58,593, Level: 75
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,457
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,803
    Points
    58,593
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 42

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post
    I'm not satisfied finishing 6-7 anymore.
    I assume you've increased your donation to reflect your conviction.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 155,942, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,785
    Points
    155,942
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 69

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Comparing ISU to Baylor and KSU is just wrong. KSU has had 15 years of elite success. BCS (or that level) bowl games, top 10 rankings, you name...KSU has been a solid program since the late 90's. As much as we all want to compare ISU to KSU it is about like comparing ISU to Iowa. Just not a good comparison. ISU to Baylor? Yeah, if you think Baylor doesn't have significant recruiting advantages to ISU just because they are "Baylor" you'd best get a clue. Also, who does Baylor play in the the non conference? A team like Iowa? Nope.

    Truth is that the dream of CPR taking ISU out of the gutter is gone. ISU is just going to be a 6 win or less (sometimes much less) team from here until they throw dirt on me, and I'm 36. I'll be season ticket holder cheering my *** off until that day....just best to face facts now.
    Before you get killed for this let me agree with you...except for the last paragraph. We've got an OC in place who won an Orange Bowl at KU. I'm not ready to say the dream is gone. Not yet.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 68,525, Level: 81
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,225
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    mustangcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,267
    Points
    68,525
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 101

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Before you get killed for this let me agree with you...except for the last paragraph. We've got an OC in place who won an Orange Bowl at KU. I'm not ready to say the dream is gone. Not yet.
    Yeah I hear ya, I've got faith in Mangino as well but people have to again be honest with themselves. Mark won the Orange bowl because every star that possibly could align fell KU's way that year. I'm not ready to say the words 'flash in the pan' but yeah, pretty close. Most of marks other teams were just comptetitive in a weak Big 12 north. He got to feast on terrible ISU and at the time KSU teams, Baylor and OSU were nowhere near where they are today...and so forth....His KU teams when he left were not overly great. I hope ISU can get over the hump someday and put 8-9 wins together but if they do I would'nt plan on it lasting. God, I hate to sound like such a downer but I guess I would just rather live in reality.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 84,141, Level: 90
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,409
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    7,043
    Points
    84,141
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 367

    Re: Monday Musings: "Adapt or perish"

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. Forget location.
    System, system, system, talent/recruiting.


    #BEATIOWA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM