Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 12,014, Level: 33
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Bamacyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SE
    Posts
    409
    Points
    12,014
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 22

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 75,096, Level: 85
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,454
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    6,934
    Points
    75,096
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 294
    Given: 401

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    That was a great read. As an ISU fan though, hard to agree with him on the 6-6.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 95,637, Level: 96
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,152
    Points
    95,637
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 141

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Forde is one of the best sportswriters out there. Good article.


    "The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 400,690, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,310
    Points
    400,690
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 609
    Given: 389

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    La Tech, 9-3, not going to a bowl game - Yahoo! Sports
    La Tech is moving to Conference USA next season.

    Van De Velde said he was working with C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky on possibly getting the Bulldogs into the Heart of Dallas Bowl or the Liberty Bowl. When Oklahoma and Kansas State both won, it looked as if the Big 12 would have two teams in the BCS and that could create room in either of those games for La Tech.
    But, Van De Velde said, when Northern Illinois slipped into the Bowl Championship Series, taking a possible BCS bid away from Oklahoma, it started a domino effect that filled those spots with Big 12 teams.
    So, VandyV looks like he was trying to get the Clones snubbed into Shreveport by shutting us out in Music City and/or HOD. The HOD should never have been a choice. What a guy. He deserves some butthurt.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 207,179, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,817
    Points
    207,179
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 37

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Forde is one of the best sportswriters out there. Good article.
    He is one of my favorites and I enjoy most of the yahoo sport writers also.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 67,575, Level: 80
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,347
    Points
    67,575
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 61

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    The student athletes are raising millions and millions of dollars to represent their school, with supposedly no pay (e.g. Scam Newton), i have no problem with too many teams going to bowl games. The kids should get the opportunity to get something out of the "system" that has been created.

    The NCAA and the Universities use these kids to make millions, why not throw a free trip in for their efforts.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 103,774, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    6,129
    Points
    103,774
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 95

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    It was a good read, although I'm tired of the 6-6 argument being brought out again. There is a reason that they have 6-6 teams bowl eligible. It's so they can pick a team who has a fanbase with a pulse. And having teams from a major conference might drum up a little more interest on TV than watching Bowling Green play Arkansas State in a bowl game.

    Maybe there are too many bowls, that argument could be made, but you have to be realistic, most 6-6 BCS teams are better than a 2 or 3 loss team from the MAC or Con. USA.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 26,486, Level: 49
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    Points
    26,486
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 117

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    It was a good read, although I'm tired of the 6-6 argument being brought out again. There is a reason that they have 6-6 teams bowl eligible. It's so they can pick a team who has a fanbase with a pulse. And having teams from a major conference might drum up a little more interest on TV than watching Bowling Green play Arkansas State in a bowl game.

    Maybe there are too many bowls, that argument could be made, but you have to be realistic, most 6-6 BCS teams are better than a 2 or 3 loss team from the MAC or Con. USA.
    Agree. There is at least one 6-6 team out there that played nine bowl teams this year.


    Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 13,347, Level: 34
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mac4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    825
    Points
    13,347
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 41

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Great article. It shows how upset everybody is about the bowl selection this year. It just makes a playoff that much better, not by a lot. There is just too much money to be had.


    "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."
    -Satchel Paige

  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 17,627, Level: 40
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    675
    Points
    17,627
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    La Tech, 9-3, not going to a bowl game - Yahoo! Sports


    So, VandyV looks like he was trying to get the Clones snubbed into Shreveport by shutting us out in Music City and/or HOD. The HOD should never have been a choice. What a guy. He deserves some butthurt.
    How would that even be possible? Even if the Big12 had two in the BCS, ISU would still be available for the HOD. Does the HOD bowl have some clause in their contact that allows them to pass on an eligible Big12 team? I doubt it, but how else could they pass on ISU?



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 218,915, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,373
    Points
    218,915
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 354

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    I don't mimd all of the bowls. Its amazing to me the way thry set them up. The conferance tie ins drive me nuts.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 400,690, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,310
    Points
    400,690
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 609
    Given: 389

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    It was a good read, although I'm tired of the 6-6 argument being brought out again. There is a reason that they have 6-6 teams bowl eligible. It's so they can pick a team who has a fanbase with a pulse. And having teams from a major conference might drum up a little more interest on TV than watching Bowling Green play Arkansas State in a bowl game.

    Maybe there are too many bowls, that argument could be made, but you have to be realistic, most 6-6 BCS teams are better than a 2 or 3 loss team from the MAC or Con. USA.
    So basically all MAC coaches voted NIU higher than they deserved while B12 voted them lower than they deserve because $2M per team was at stake. Yep, great system.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 119,805, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,538
    Points
    119,805
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 367

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke


    It is the BCS system that creates the problems. In their efforts to determine a national champion they keep making adjustments that seem to make sense based on previous years, but don't quite make sense when it comes time to implement them.

    I don't think the bowl system is the problem. I consider it the best post-season in all sports. It is so good for college football, the teams, the players, the fans, etc.

    The problem is the never-ending push by ESPN and perennial powerhouses to be the clear-cut national champion. If we move to a format that is more conclusive regarding the national champion, I'm afraid that the rest of the bowl system will fall apart. All but one of the teams in the playoffs will finish with a loss. Traditional bowl settings will fade in significance to the playoff locations which will probably be rotated. My only hope right now is that they keep some form of bowl system in place for non-BCS teams.

    Frankly, I don't care who wins the national championship. I care about Iowa State and college football in general. Perhaps this fiasco will help us see that the BCS system is the problem, particularly in its narrow focus on determining a national champion. The bowl games, without the BCS system, are the best post-season in all sports.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 119,805, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,538
    Points
    119,805
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 367

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    Agree. There is at least one 6-6 team out there that played nine bowl teams this year.


    Are there any others? From outside the Big 12?



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 33,316, Level: 56
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 934
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,426
    Points
    33,316
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 87

    Re: Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    It is the BCS system that creates the problems. In their efforts to determine a national champion they keep making adjustments that seem to make sense based on previous years, but don't quite make sense when it comes time to implement them.

    I don't think the bowl system is the problem. I consider it the best post-season in all sports. It is so good for college football, the teams, the players, the fans, etc.

    The problem is the never-ending push by ESPN and perennial powerhouses to be the clear-cut national champion. If we move to a format that is more conclusive regarding the national champion, I'm afraid that the rest of the bowl system will fall apart. All but one of the teams in the playoffs will finish with a loss. Traditional bowl settings will fade in significance to the playoff locations which will probably be rotated. My only hope right now is that they keep some form of bowl system in place for non-BCS teams.

    Frankly, I don't care who wins the national championship. I care about Iowa State and college football in general. Perhaps this fiasco will help us see that the BCS system is the problem, particularly in its narrow focus on determining a national champion. The bowl games, without the BCS system, are the best post-season in all sports.
    I appreciate what you're saying, but aren't we basically already at this point? The Rose Bowl, etc, are still a big deal and fun to watch, but I don't see them falling off the radar much further than they already have. There is currently one game that matters and the rest are exhibitions. In the new system there will be 3 games that matter, not much different in my opinion.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM