Top Arenas: "Hilton" or better

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
It's not "that place" anymore and that is part of the problem. Moving to the Mizzou Arena from the old Hearns Center was the beginning of the end for them. That place had ridiculously steep seating and all of the fans were right on top of the court.

Kinda weird how new buildings can do that to the mystic of the old arenas - glad Hilton will be around for a long time. But I was there in the early days after the Old Armory and it took a few years (till Johnny showed up in '82) to get the Magic.
I wonder if they'll ever tear down Allen Fieldhouse? Hearns Center had some great B8 games. It seems Carver lost a lot of mojo after the Fieldhouse closed.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I was lucky enough to attend a UMCP game in Cole Fieldhouse before they moved out of it and it was a raucous environment. Granted they were also playing a ranked opponent and they were good at the time. So, I would have ranked the old Maryland gym up there and maybe even cracking the top ten, but it looks like the new facility isn't as intimidating. Just my two cents.

Back to the OP, I would agree with the list drafted by NetflixClone with the exception of definitely not UCLA and maybe even removing UNC. That is if we're talking about the CROWD creating a home court advantage, and neither of those places seem to do it much. When UCLA isn't good, they literally struggle attendance-wise and the crowds rarely appear intimidating on TV. UNC is always packed, but the crowd seems complacent, a little spoiled with winning and likely to sit on their hands for long stretches. Perhaps replace those two with San Diego State's arena (which has been raucous and intimidating over the past ten years or so), and maybe Wichita State or VCU's arena. They appear pretty intimidating when I see them on TV, but maybe that's only for big games?

Honestly though, from an objective perspective, I don't think Hilton has the magic or hunger in the fans it used to have in the 90s when I was growing up. It is probably still top ten. Maybe my perspective is skewed, but it seemed like more people were participants in the action and literally willing the team to make runs whereas now more people in the lower section of Hilton and the upper corners where I've been stuffed recently seem to be spectators rather than consider themselves participants in the action. I really think we've been spoiled lately and I wonder if the pricey donation rates has priced out some of the younger - and perhaps louder / more intimidating?? - fans from the lower section. I don't have any statistics, but wonder if there's more older people in the audience today than 20 to 25 years ago. Hah! I know that may be blasphemy to some of you, but I'm trying to look at it objectively and not through cardinal colored glasses.

When I was a student in the 80s students rotated seats from the top to the bottom game to game. I remember sitting (well - never SITTING) in the lower bowl with thousands of other students watching Ronnie Virgil and those guys play. Johnny also had something to do with the atmosphere - a special personality that people wanted to be part of.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
1. Phog
2. Cameron
3. Rupp
4. Hilton
5. MSU
6. Carrier Dome
7. Yum Center
8. UNC
9. Who cares.....?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Zags conference schedule is everyone else's non-conference schedule. And I just live here - I can only be a Cyclone.
Oh i didn't even notice your name, wasn't accusing you of being a zags fan.

BeneventiCy28

Feb 9, 2015
Granger
Hilton at its best, there just aren't many better or louder.
This

Many an announcer have attested to this. Seth Greenberg's description of Hilton not only explains the noise factor, but how passionate the fan base is because of just how much we feel we control the outcome of the game.

allday4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
This

Many an announcer have attested to this. Seth Greenberg's description of Hilton not only explains the noise factor, but how passionate the fan base is because of just how much we feel we control the outcome of the game.

Jay Williams had a great description as well. The announcer who was with Vitale for the Michigan game was quoted as saying Hilton is louder than any ACC arena he had been in. I think a student asked him that after the game and had the quote on video.

BeneventiCy28

Feb 9, 2015
Granger
Jay Williams had a great description as well. The announcer who was with Vitale for the Michigan game was quoted as saying Hilton is louder than any ACC arena he had been in. I think a student asked him that after the game and had the quote on video.
Ya that's one of the videos I remember seeing. Considering all of the lists in this thread have Duke, UNC, Syracuse, etc. to say Hilton is louder than ALL of them, that says that we aren't just being subjective homers, our home court is no joke. Makes me feel all tingly inside haha

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Arkansas used to have a killer home court advantage and built a nice new building and it was gone. Think they used to call it the barn also. Todd day and lee Mayberry team was awesome

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Kinda weird how new buildings can do that to the mystic of the old arenas - glad Hilton will be around for a long time. But I was there in the early days after the Old Armory and it took a few years (till Johnny showed up in '82) to get the Magic.
I wonder if they'll ever tear down Allen Fieldhouse? Hearns Center had some great B8 games. It seems Carver lost a lot of mojo after the Fieldhouse closed.

I went to the ISU - Iowa game at Carver this year. Compared to Hilton it was dead energy. I felt like half the game was being played in a morgue. I was glad to get out of there.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I went to the ISU - Iowa game at Carver this year. Compared to Hilton it was dead energy. I felt like half the game was being played in a morgue. I was glad to get out of there.

Been that way for 20 years. Only time that place is exciting is when they are wrestling or winning by a comfortable margin. Otherwise that place be lame. I like the seating though, I will give them that.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This NEEDS to be here:

CZFpoSyUkAAt9jv.png

*sniff*

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron