BLUM: Cyclone Legends on the Mic

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
One of my favorite topics I've written about. Hopefully we never forget the impact Pete Taylor had on Iowa State and the way Walters has taken the torch and ran with it. Walters and Heft are genuinely two of the greatest guys around and we are lucky to have them.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/02/blum-cyclone-legends-on-the-mic/

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Great article, and you're correct, I never really grew up with Pete as the PxP, it was always Walters. I love his passion behind the mic, and it is really easy to see how much he loves his job and how much of a Cyclone he is. Eric is no slouch either, the two compliment each other very well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Who and when was it that Walters owned/lambasted a year or two ago?

I can't even remember what it was about but it definitely proved his passion for ISU athletics.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Who and when was it that Walters owned/lambasted a year or two ago?

I can't even remember what it was about but it definitely proved his passion for ISU athletics.

Matt Perault on KXNO. Hoiberg was just hired and Giggles (as John coined Matt in that very interview) was on his usual anti ISU rant about how bad of a hire it was. John came on shut him up.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
So Walters coined giggles? Just one more reason to like the guy.

I started with Pete, but Walters is just as good. He's really grown on me. I never thought I'd be able to replace listening to Pete, but Walters did it, along with Heft. Love all of them.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Awesome read Blum.

I hope people appreciate John and Eric while they can. Pete was taken much too soon but it made me appreciate these two all the more. It takes a ton of talent and passion for ISU for these 2 to do what they do as well as they do. Back in the day when tv and radio synced up better, I seldom listened to the tv broadcast. Even today, I find myself turning on the radio especially toward the end of the these tight games. For some reason I'd rather have John and Eric telling me what's going on than see it with my own eyes. They make the bad times more bearable and the good times great. Cyclone legends!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Matt Perault on KXNO. Hoiberg was just hired and Giggles (as John coined Matt in that very interview) was on his usual anti ISU rant about how bad of a hire it was. John came on shut him up.

Found it. I hope Matt is out there feeling really stupid now.

Reactions: Cardinal2001

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Pete Taylor was a broadcasting, Cyclone god. Walters and Heft are fantastic, but nothing can beat Pete. He was just that good (and I love John and Eric).

We really lost a good one when he passed.

I played 18 holes of golf with Pete a couple years before he passed. Had an absolute blast. The stories that man could tell...

That fall my wife and I went to Lincoln for the Nebraska game with some of the same group that had golfed with him. We were walking through the hotel lobby and saw Pete sitting at the hotel bar, by himself, watching football. He saw us and gave us a big wave and told us to come in. He remembered us right away and we sat there for 15-20 minutes bs'ing. He was genuinely a great guy, and always approachable. To this day I am amazed the way he got through live broadcasts without FCC intervention. Let's just say that his language in person was something above PG-13.

Just like I did with Johnny, I cried the day Pete died. After spending so many hours having him talk me through all things Cyclone, it felt like I was losing a member of the family. That it takes someone as good as John Walters to come close to taking his place says a lot about both of them. The day I can no longer hear John and Eric calling games will be a rough one for me as well.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I played 18 holes of golf with Pete a couple years before he passed. Had an absolute blast. The stories that man could tell...

That fall my wife and I went to Lincoln for the Nebraska game with some of the same group that had golfed with him. We were walking through the hotel lobby and saw Pete sitting at the hotel bar, by himself, watching football. He saw us and gave us a big wave and told us to come in. He remembered us right away and we sat there for 15-20 minutes bs'ing. He was genuinely a great guy, and always approachable. To this day I am amazed the way he got through live broadcasts without FCC intervention. Let's just say that his language in person was something above PG-13.

Just like I did with Johnny, I cried the day Pete died. After spending so many hours having him talk me through all things Cyclone, it felt like I was losing a member of the family. That it takes someone as good as John Walters to come close to taking his place says a lot about both of them. The day I can no longer hear John and Eric calling games will be a rough one for me as well.
Great story, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: helechopper

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
The day I can no longer hear John and Eric calling games will be a rough one for me as well.

Agree. To me, what makes a good radio broadcasting team is personality and game calling ability. Both John and Eric have each in spades. If you've taken them for granted, just go listen to what Hawk fans have. They may have personality but the other half of the equation is a train wreck.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Grew up listening to Pete and Eric. Never thought Pete could be replaced, but John was the perfect fit. All three are Cyclone royalty. Have met all three at Cyclone outings, and they are (were) all good guys that love ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agree. To me, what makes a good radio broadcasting team is personality and game calling ability. Both John and Eric have each in spades. If you've taken them for granted, just go listen to what Hawk fans have. They may have personality but the other half of the equation is a train wreck.
Agree. It isn't just iowa. I try to listen to a Vikings call and I'm thankful for what we have. I tune in and listen for several minutes without ever hearing the score. They will tell us repeatedly that they gained 6 yards on a play only to have it be second and 2 or second and 6 and they will rarely correct the down and distance.

I will occasionally need to listen to the opponent's broadcast to hear a Cyclone game. It is amazing how many broadcast teams don't find it important information to frequently mention the score, to announce who a foul is on, how many fouls they have and how many team fouls. Sure, everybody in the arena can look at the scoreboard, but you are the eyes of the folks listening to the broadcast so don't let them down.

Call me old fashioned, but I want the nuts and bolts taken care of before they take up precious time with the flash and fill.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Same here. That was such a shocker! Felt like I lost a good friend I'd never met.

Edit: Not true. I did actually meet him once or twice. My buddy worked at KCCI when he was there before he became a full time ISU employee. Kinda forgot about that.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Pete was great but john has done an amazing job stepping into huge shoes.

And Eric is the only analyst that I've ever known. He's really good at his job.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pete Taylor was a broadcasting, Cyclone god. Walters and Heft are fantastic, but nothing can beat Pete. He was just that good (and I love John and Eric).

We really lost a good one when he passed.

Agree, but if John hasn't filled Pete's shoes, he's left a nice legacy of his own, and that's not easy following a legend.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
When I came to ISU in the late 90's, my dad became an instant Pete Taylor fan. As he said, you could turn the game on and, without hearing a score, know exactly how it was going within 10 seconds by the tone of Pete's voice.

Reactions: CascadeClone

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
John (and especially Eric) have sat through a lot of bad Cyclone football. For that alone, they should get some kind of iron man award.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
John (and especially Eric) have sat through a lot of bad Cyclone football. For that alone, they should get some kind of iron man award.

Pete Taylor is who I grew up on since we couldn't watch as many ISU basketball or football games on TV in the 80's/90's. That dude saw some incredibly bad football moments.

Walters' ability to not drop about 20 Fbombs after the FG miss in the '04 Missouri game might be one of the most incredible moments in broadcasting history.

Just a straight forward 'He missed it' followed by some silence and the sound of composing oneself.

Reactions: norcalcy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I grew up listening to Pete & Eric calling Cyclone sports. John has taking it over admirably. Going to miss this duo when they retire. If it wasn't for liking to watch the game I prefer their broadcasts over anyone else calling our games. All three are great Cyclones.