Seemingly never ending Iowa MBB thread (still going.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
But Texas would be favored against Iowa. Sagarin and KenPom both have Texas better than Iowa so how is it possible Iowa is average but Texas is "pathetic"?

I already told you I look at RPI, I dont care how many points a team scores per possession or how fast they pass the ball around.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Omg dude, are we seriously having this conversation on a hypothetical on who would win between Iowa and Texas if they played in New York? This is out of control.

Now you keep dodging the question, how is a team like Texas who is considered better than Iowa by KenPom, Vegas and Sagarin "pathetic" but Iowa is average?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Nope, not at all, the Big East isnt a Power 5 conference, yet they are ranked 3rd in RPI, you have to take stuff like that into consideration also.

Just because a team plays in a Power 5 conference doesnt mean they are better than other teams that play in conferences not deemed "Power 5", this isnt football.
OK. For basketball, it should probably be a Power 6. That makes it more comparable.

Edit: @GTO already made my point and much more eloquently and understandably.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Now you keep dodging the question, how is a team like Texas who is considered better than Iowa by KenPom, Vegas and Sagarin "pathetic" but Iowa is average?

I just told you dude, I dont care about that crap, there is a reason the selection committee uses RPI and seeds accordingly. I want to know who youve played and who youve beaten, I honestly dont care how fast you score or some other dumb metric like that.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think it is funny as hell when people hate one another based solely on their allegiance to a college's athletic program. I don't hate the cyclones. Some of their fans are dicks, but some of Iowa's fans are as well. People who get their panties in a wad over all of this need to probably sit down for some quality introspection.

I have tons of Iowa fans, so I don't hate a person for being an Iowa fan. What I do hate is having obscenities and random **** thrown at me by grown *** adults when I go to the Iowa State game at historic Kinnick stadium. So yeah, **** Iowa.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
So take Big12, SEC, Big10, Pac12, ACC, BigEast, and (maybe) the AAC. How many schools is that and where would Iowa rank in there?

This.

Technically if you ignore the huge gulf in talent and resources between the Power conferences and the rest of college basketball Iowa is average. But defining that as your measure of average means Iowa is really bad.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I just told you dude, I dont care about that crap, there is a reason the selection committee uses RPI and seeds accordingly. I want to know who youve played and who youve beaten, I honestly dont care how fast you score or some other dumb metric like that.

So you think Minnesota is better than UCLA, Wisconsin and West Virginia?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I shouldn't admit this on here but Iowa is my second favorite college team (at least until my daughter starts attending the U of M). It also doesn't mean that I'm not going to mock Iowa any chance I can get.

More importantly, what do Iowa fans know about knowledge?

My daughter graduated from Michigan in 2008!

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

I posted a 538 article in the bubble watch thread about the NCAA moving away from RPI because of it's old and much less accurate than other ranking systems.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
OK I changed my mind, the dumbest thing I've heard now is Jeremy saying Minnesota is better than UCLA, Wisconsin and West Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron