VEGAS: Iowa State a 1.5 point underdog to Texas Tech

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
TT might be the most athletic team in the conference there is a reason they crushed us on the boards last time. That being said we look so much different now with Young patrolling the paint the rest of the pieces have fallen into place with that move, I think we take a 4 point win.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Still have no idea why losing to TT is considered a bad loss when talking about the tournament. I hope we get this one and then they win out.

Tech is in the 90s in RPI right now, and could easily be over 100 by the end of the season. They're on pace to play Texas twice more (incl. first round in KC), and we know what a loss to them does to your RPI. I think they're a good team, and KenPom and Sagarin show they are much better than that, but they played a pathetic non-con schedule. They'll have to run the table and win a game in KC to have a chance at the tourney because of SOS. I see them finishing 1-3 and having to play a very talented Texas team in the first round in KC. If we lose Monday, that would help them out but it still doesn't guarantee that they finish in the RPI Top 100. We would have to hope they win at Okie State or K-State to help us out.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Tech is in the 90s in RPI right now, and could easily be over 100 by the end of the season. They're on pace to play Texas twice more (incl. first round in KC), and we know what a loss to them does to your RPI. I think they're a good team, and KenPom and Sagarin show they are much better than that, but they played a pathetic non-con schedule. They'll have to run the table and win a game in KC to have a chance at the tourney because of SOS. I see them finishing 1-3 and having to play a very talented Texas team in the first round in KC. If we lose Monday, that would help them out but it still doesn't guarantee that they finish in the RPI Top 100. We would have to hope they win at Okie State or K-State to help us out.

Amazing, they beat Baylor and West Virginia, yet if we lose there our RPI takes another drop. Doesn't seem fair. But suppose they shouldn't be 5-9 right now either.

• Agree
Reactions: DSM4Cy

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Amazing, they beat Baylor and West Virginia, yet if we lose there our RPI takes another drop. Doesn't seem fair. But suppose they shouldn't be 5-9 right now either.
5-9 and had a very weak non-conference. That won't make rpi like you too much.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
TT is playing tough right now but so are we. I like the fact they played WVU to 2ot, had to cross time zones and travel back, that evens out the travel factor. Worst part is that gym they never use the top level of, damn near empty but I can remember them storming the court against us a while back. Taking the road dogs in a close one GO STATE!

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA

I think they're a far better team than their RPI, and analytics back that up. They look much more like a tournament team than K-State, based on the "eye test," and have those two big wins. That non-con was just really bad - they didn't even try to schedule quality teams. They've also lost to both Texas and OU on the road, which is a no-no this year with how bad their RPIs are (losing to one is bad enough). They don't have a big road win but have come so close.

It has to be maddening to be a Tech fan this year - they had chances against us and Baylor on the road, and had KU at home before giving it away. If they can somehow get in the tourney, I wouldn't want to face them in the first round, but I don't think they're even going to get close. They will probably end up at 6-12 or 7-11 in the league and a mid-level seed in the NIT. Put them in the Big Ten, and they are competing with Maryland and Northwestern for 3rd or 4th in the league.

• Agree
Reactions: mb7299

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Think Tech 'could' still get in possibly if they finish with 3 or 4 wins and a win in the big12 tourney. They'll be treating this as a must win, I'm sure. I am optimistic about our team now, but I'd be shocked if we can go to Tech with 1 day turnaround and win there considering that they've beat Baylor and WV there. I'll join the koolaid drinkers if they pull that off.
Tell me again why we have to play on Monday? I mean, Texas at WV is the big Monday game.

Looking at their non-conference schedule today, and they have nothing to hang their hat on. This is a must win for them.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I hope that loss at WVU just depleted them mentally. We may be a must win for them but it has to be tough emotionally

Reactions: CRcyclone6

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I hope that loss at WVU just depleted them mentally. We may be a must win for them but it has to be tough emotionally

They've been shockingly resilient. They lost a heartbreaker to Kansas last Saturday and then beat Baylor on Monday.

• Agree
Reactions: socalcy

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Hopefully Matt comes out hot. We'll need to hit on all cylinders.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It would be nice, but it's not something I'm relying on.

ISU needs to be at their best regardless and let things fall where they may. I don't think I'll be able to watch but that's OK--the late games bring about plenty of stress.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Not to mention, when I played sports every game felt like a 'must win'. I mean, yeah it gives us something to talk about, but these guys feel every game is 'must win'.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I saw a promotion by Texas Tech for the Iowa State game. You get 4 free tickets if you are season ticket holder.

Must have a ton of trouble filling up their place if they need to give people four free tickets!!

This promotion may actually be good. I've seen a lot of ISU teams struggle in dead gyms over the years. Seems that the bigger the crowd the better they play, regardless who they are cheering for. With this team showing flashes of disinterest, I'm not sure a 1/2 full arena is what I'd want to see.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
TT might be the most athletic team in the conference there is a reason they crushed us on the boards last time. That being said we look so much different now with Young patrolling the paint the rest of the pieces have fallen into place with that move, I think we take a 4 point win.

Aren't they the team with the guy that can't jump over a tuna can? That doesn't seem terribly athletic to me.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Looking at their non-conference schedule today, and they have nothing to hang their hat on. This is a must win for them.

They've been shockingly resilient. They lost a heartbreaker to Kansas last Saturday and then beat Baylor on Monday.
From my experience from the farm. I'm always wary of things that are cornered. They seem to have a knack of doing the unexpected.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Just need to stop Livingston before the 2nd half this time around. We're due for a turd some time, just hope we can put it off until WVU on the road.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I saw a promotion by Texas Tech for the Iowa State game. You get 4 free tickets if you are season ticket holder.

Must have a ton of trouble filling up their place if they need to give people four free tickets!!
Not sure how they've done attendance-wise for the season, but the place has been pretty full in recent weeks. The KU game last weekend was a sellout if I heard correctly.

I think Chris Beard has done a good job so far extending the culture change that Tubby started. Should be a solid team in coming years. Zach Smith is probably one of the most underrated players in the conference.

Help Support Us

Become a patron