Opinion of Prohm

What should we do with Prohm

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
We've had times where we've moved the ball well this year and times Fred's last year where the ball didn't move at all. Heck, as great as the comeback against OU was a few years ago that was pretty much entirely isolation basketball with very little passing and movement off the ball.

I also think Niang/McKay was underappreciated from a defensive standpoint. Niang may not have been the biggest or most athletic dude, but he was pretty much always in a good position defensively.

Not a basketball genius, but ball movement COULD have something to do with the opponent's defense. Too many people think basketball wins are merely the failure of a coach doing something rather than many variables coming together during a game.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Do you think posting these things that you hear (from apparently players' families) is useful to said players and to the team that you claim to support? Do you think that these players' families might not know everything that happens and might not be getting the whole story? I certainly wouldn't buy everything a coach said. And I'm certainly not going to buy everything a parent says. The truth is in the middle, yet you won't admit that. And it doesn't take a genius to realize that last years team was a unique situation.

And what fans are texting you telling you that the offense is stagnant? That seems odd. Are the fans the ones telling you these things or is it the player's family?

You are the only one keeping yourself from enjoying this team. But dealing in rumors in innuendo is a choice that you make. No one else makes you do that.

----------------
You are right, and I apologize. But ....Your definition of rumors must be different than mine, obviously. But its okay to agree to disagree. Of course, I don't want to hurt the players! I brought it up as a response on here to a thread with lots of bickering (we have lots of those, you know?) on why we weren't getting better shots this year compared to last for best scoring threats and then the Ernst mile long discussion. You bet, I'd rather base my opinion on getting info from the horse's mouth. People were giving a lot of mixed messages on the Ernst situation for example. But your point is well taken.

As far as the fans' text, that was purely relaying that they were all watching on TV and were saying it was embarrassing how many times Fran brought it up during the game. Not like other analysts or previous teams didn't get criticisms, was just disappointed to hear it from so many, that's all. You can't deny ALOT of posters on here and tweets from local media who cover our team aren't questioning the same darn thing. Those aren't rumors either. They've printed it. I think message boards are not a good thing if we're bashing players or coaches based on speculation, feeling entitled to winning, accusations, putting words in someone else's mouth, or frustration vented on players for losing, etc....you're right. That's why I commented on things 'said'!! But again, I'll respect what you're trying to say. Just don't try to tell me I didn't hear or see what I have.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Knowing what he walked into (roster wise), it's asinine to expect him to be fired in the next couple years.

Im so sick of hearing this and I know the majority on this site love to pound this like a fat boy eats cake. He walked into a program that had been ranked in the top 25 for several consecutive years, two big 12 championships, a top 15 roster (granted most were seniors), incredible fan and school culture, with quality facilities.

He proceeds to rely and heavily recruit two academic risks and some complete flops in grad transfers. On top of that he completely whiffs this fall in his big men targets again. My level of patience would be much more had we got Stokes or someone at the post this fall with some talent. Hes not cut out for a power 5 program and his epic fails in recruiting big men will end up proving that down the road.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
My problem and maybe yours is I do not see much upside with our current players. Are we doing the best we can do now? Monte must be disappointed.

• Agree
Reactions: socalcy

isu83

May 5, 2010
I think Hoiberg got pretty lucky with the timing of his coaching strategy. He was one of the first to truly embrace transfers at the major division level. He milked it for a couple years then his HS recruiting dropped off and the blue bloods started taking in the high-impact transfers leaving us with the roster we currently have. Had the blue bloods prioritized recruiting transfers then as much as they do now, Hoiberg could easily have failed.
And Fred started chasing 5 stars and got none.
As for Prohm the only gripe I can see is his lack of emotion. The same gripe I had of Fred. The rest of it is coaching from the arm chair.

Last edited:

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I have not read the whole thread, but here is, I think, another take on the situation. Is it why are we unable to win these close games, or, how are we able to stay close to the Gonzagas, Baylors and Kansas of the world when we have 1) no strength in the fore court, 2) an injured key player on both sides of the ball, resulting in limited practice time and not being able to play at the top of his game (although still a big contributor), and 3) a very unpredictable "guard" who can dominate a game when he is on but often as not, isn't? With all the advantages Kansas had last night, including more total talent and much more height, we forced them into a boatload of turnovers and hung with them weathering their typical runs and being within 3 points with less than 2 minutes to play. I know we all want to win, but I frankly marveled at how well we competed. I think it showed a lot of team character. So, my hat goes off to Monte, Naz and SP - and the rest of the team.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Prohm did a nice job on the call in show took a few calls about getting the players to box out. A coach friend of his pointed out it is 8 points in all the losses not including Iowa, that game they just forgot how to play.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think we are a team of good role players. Georges was our stud. Monte is a great point guard, but he isn't Russell Westbrook. That is not his game, he isn't the type of player that can consistently carry a team like he did at OSU. Naz and Matt are good players, but no opposing coaches are losing sleep over playing them. Burton is a freak, but he is no Georges. He is a 6'4" guard that we are expecting to be leading scorer, leading rebounder, defensive rim protector and all around stud. In reality, he is an athletic freak but did anyone really think he could replace an all american. We are going to win some games and hopefully we make the tourney, but lets real about what the expectations should be.

As for next year, it may be a little bit of a rebounding year, but I think we get the stud we are lacking this year. That bodes well for the future.

• Agree
Reactions: psyclone51

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Im so sick of hearing this and I know the majority on this site love to pound this like a fat boy eats cake. He walked into a program that had been ranked in the top 25 for several consecutive years, two big 12 championships, a top 15 roster (granted most were seniors), incredible fan and school culture, with quality facilities.

He proceeds to rely and heavily recruit two academic risks and some complete flops in grad transfers. On top of that he completely whiffs this fall in his big men targets again. My level of patience would be much more had we got Stokes or someone at the post this fall with some talent. Hes not cut out for a power 5 program and his epic fails in recruiting big men will end up proving that down the road.
I wish our fans would stop saying this. The conference tournament is nothing like the actual conference title. Not even close.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Steve Alford would disagree!
I was going to say nobody but low major teams and Brody Boyd care, but I thought that was a little harsh. If it means going from an 8 to a 7 seed it matters. But it isn't something to make a t shirt over. That is unless we beat TCU. All TCU victories must be commemorated in poly cotton blend clothing.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Coach Prohm has some work to do. Better than the McDermott and Morgan era, but behind Eustachy and Floyd. Jury is still out.

• Agree
Reactions: socalcy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron