No Divisions for Football

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What are the odds that the Big 12 regular season champion will get knocked out of a playoff spot by losing the Big 12 championship game next year?

If #2 beats #1, then the CFP committee will say "we couldn't decide who was better so we took (insert B1G/SEC team) instead".

If #1 beats #2, then the CFP committee could say "that second loss made team #2 drop, so both wins by #1 are lower quality so we took (insert B1G/SEC team) instead".

They're gonna take who they want regardless, because they can BS their way into justifying anything - there is always an argument to be made both ways, and they can pick whichever they want. And they are gonna take blue blood brands over worthy lesser names every time.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah I agree the refs will make darned sure that Texas wins the conference .......Like putting One Second on the clock so that the Longhornies can kick the winning field goal to beat Nebraska.

But the Big Red had the last Laugh by Joining the Big Ten ....Texas won the game but Nebraska went to a Better Conference ...with a LOT more $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I asked my relatives from Nebraska if they like the Big Ten conference...Its better than getting screwed out of a conference title by the Texas Shorthorns
Agree - I don't know of a single Husker fan that misses the Big 12 - although they do miss the rivalry game with OU. But the Big 12 did a great job of minimizing that too by deciding not to play it every year...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I liked the idea of Divisions because then you get to focus on beating 4 teams out rather than 8 to get a shot at the conference title, and that benefits some of the less fortunate schools.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I liked the idea of Divisions because then you get to focus on beating 4 teams out rather than 8 to get a shot at the conference title, and that benefits some of the less fortunate schools.

So, you believe it's fair for a 4-5 north champion to be in the CCG over a 8-1 south runner-up, correct?

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
So, you believe it's fair for a 4-5 north champion to be in the CCG over a 8-1 south runner-up, correct?

I don't get the impression that he thinks it's fair, just that it's better for Iowa State.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The only negative with not having divisions is that if the Championship game is a rematch of two teams that just played each other a week or two earlier the championship game is going to look a little silly. I liked the idea of divisions being restructured every year or every other to balance out the league. This would allow the schedule to ensure that the championship wouldn't involve 2 teams that just played each other.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

You may recall that twice (04, 05) ISU was in position to win the North and play in the championship game with only a 5-3 record even though there were about 3 other better teams in the South. In that case it wasn't about pairing the two best teams, but at least the Big 12 record book would reflect that Iowa State played in a Big 12 football championship game. It was to our benefit that the North division was crap, even though it set up an obvious chasm in talent for the championship game itself.

Of course, both times we couldn't beat clearly inferior teams to do it. I guess we still got a co-champs trophy in 2004 for tying Colorado at 4-4.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Yeah I agree the refs will make darned sure that Texas wins the conference .......Like putting One Second on the clock so that the Longhornies can kick the winning field goal to beat Nebraska.

But the Big Red had the last Laugh by Joining the Big Ten ....Texas won the game but Nebraska went to a Better Conference ...with a LOT more $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I asked my relatives from Nebraska if they like the Big Ten conference...Its better than getting screwed out of a conference title by the Texas Shorthorns

Wow... the Nebraska butthurt over Texas never ends.

Yes, there are bad calls in all games, but I'll tell you this: there was still one second on the clock. Anybody (mostly Nebraska fans) who thinks otherwise is delusional. Delusional fans are delusional.

The claims that Nebraska went to the B1G because of equal revenue sharing are laughable also. Don't forget that when the Big 12 was formed, unequal revenue sharing was voted in by Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, and NEBRASKA - when NU was still floating on top of the world. When Nebraska went downhill, in the bed they made Nebraska got less money.

Nebraska left because they couldn't beat Texas. Period.

*disclaimer: born and raised in Nebraska*

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

It is a fun script for Fusker fans, but the video says that there was clearly time left on the clock.

I can't believe that people are still arguing otherwise.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
It is a fun script for Fusker fans, but the video says that there was clearly time left on the clock.

I can't believe that people are still arguing otherwise.

It was close, but clearly the whistle blows with 0:01 left on the clock

Also, Seneca was in.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
No divisions is the best for the Big 12 for a marketing perspective. No one is going out of their way to watch a 5-4 division champ play the 9-0 champ, but a 8-1 vs 9-0 rematch looks much better. This can help get a better perception of the league by highlighting the best it has.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
WTH is the point of a championship game with no divisions? Why does the team that finishes second deserve a championship game?

• Winner
Reactions: Bryce7

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
If this was in place last year it would have been Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in the championship game, playing each other in two straight weeks. Their regular season game would have had no impact on who made the championship game either. It would have just been them trying to beat the same team twice in a row to make the playoffs.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

JUMP-TO-CONCLUSIONS-MAT.jpg

I don't get the impression that he thinks it's fair, just that it's better for Iowa State.

This.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You can't man up and prove it again in a rematch, you probably don't deserve it.

If a CCG in Texas is the price to keep the Big 12 tournament in KC, I make that trade 110/100 times.

Reactions: dawgpound

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I can understand the realistic money-grab to have a title game. What I hate is that there's this idea that divisions and a championship game provides a clearer champion than a round robin (from a committee's perspective, that is). I feel like the belief is the title-game winner is more "valuable" than having everything determined in regular season. At least that's my perception.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I can understand the realistic money-grab to have a title game. What I hate is that there's this idea that divisions and a championship game provides a clearer champion than a round robin (from a committee's perspective, that is). I feel like the belief is the title-game winner is more "valuable" than having everything determined in regular season. At least that's my perception.

Well, divisions are now out, obviously, and the CCG gives the necessary 13th data point.