MLB: ***Official 2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
After hearing Maddon talk in the post game presser it sounds like they are not ruling out Schwarber in LF if the doctors think his knee will be OK for it. I was very skeptical when they put him on the roster and after seeing hit hit these 2 games if they clear him to play the field I say why not because it's been 108 years and if 1 swing makes the difference in a game its worth the risk. Heyward, Soler, and Coghlan haven't shown anything with the bat so far so why not let the kid go at it

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Do you play Schwarber in LF Game 3? Would love that bat in the lineup and sub him out late in the game for a defensive replacement but only Theo and Joe really know if his knee is ready for it. Other than Zobrist he has been the Cubs best hitter in this series so far

If this happens and he keeps raking, how crazy would it be to see Schwarber get WS MVP after playing a game and a half during the regular season?

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Early morning thought of the day...

If Schwarber doesn't injure himself in game 3 of the season, do we have the "coming out" party that we've had for Baez? As I think about it a little more, I guess Zobrist did get a touch banged up in July(?), so Baez was playing 2nd in his stead. Then, when Zobrist came back, he was playing LF, and Baez was the everyday 2B.

Hmmm....

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Do you play Schwarber in LF Game 3? Would love that bat in the lineup and sub him out late in the game for a defensive replacement but only Theo and Joe really know if his knee is ready for it. Other than Zobrist he has been the Cubs best hitter in this series so far

It's a tough call that basically comes down to the medical team. Running the bases is one thing, playing outfield defense 6 months after tearing ligaments in your knee is another.

The problem with using Schwarber as your key pinch hitter is Andrew Miller so if he can physically handle it he should start.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

We've played a RF who can't hit worth **** all year long. Why not play a LF who can't field?

Reactions: CRcyclone6

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
With Kyle on the mound, you can tolerate worse outfield defense with Schwarber. Play him deep, tell him to take it easy, and just get 3 at bats from him. It's a gamble, but so is saving him for a key pitch hit

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Early morning thought of the day...

If Schwarber doesn't injure himself in game 3 of the season, do we have the "coming out" party that we've had for Baez? As I think about it a little more, I guess Zobrist did get a touch banged up in July(?), so Baez was playing 2nd in his stead. Then, when Zobrist came back, he was playing LF, and Baez was the everyday 2B.

Hmmm....

They traded Starlin Castro away because they knew what they had. It was just a matter of when we got to see what they knew that they had.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Boy I hope they give Schwarber a good look at the outfield. As I think back on the last few games, I can maybe only think of one ball total that I would categorize as not a "routine" fly ball-- that being Russell's rip to right field. I get defense is important, but having his bat up 4-5 times a game is more important.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I agree. I just would like to see Montgomery as our #5 because I think he's better then Hammel.

I don't disagree, I really like Montgomery and I think he will be a starter by the end of next year. The Cubs still don't have much for pitching depth in the high minors and having Hammel or Montgomery in the pen give them some quality depth. I know Hammel struggled again late in the year, but we've been spoiled. Most teams would love to have a 5th or even 4th starter that is a 1.5 WAR pitcher.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Could have had Syndegard for a deal with Castro as the headliner a few years ago.

Yeah...I think the front office was smart in terms of waiting to see if Russell or Baez would turn out, but I'm also sure they're kicking themselves for not making the move now.

At the same time, we trade Castro for Syndergaard, my gut tells me we wouldn't have seen Hendricks this year.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
CvyxHcXUAAAD-RR.jpg:large

CvyxglxUkAAyisA.jpg