Juan Harris

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
If his only issue it that he can't make a decision, I would say he would be a good addition. I'm sure CMC will only offer him if he feels he fits.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Could be some academic issues with this kid as well. Especially with moving around to different schools. Think if he had the right coaches and mentors he could be really good. I feel bad for the kid as he obviously hasn't had the best life.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
He said he won't make a decision until signing day
Well, I'd obviously put a lot of stock into that. Expect a commitment before November. ;)

Seriously though, would be a good pickup for you guys and I'd really like to see the kid go somewhere, anywhere, and get his situation straightened out. Would be sad to see someone with an such an opportunity head to some JUCO, then drop the sport and school altogether.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
There is always the potential for someone to commit after a visit so I'm just spit balling here but if Harris does eventually commit to ISU the potential size of the DT's in the 2 deeps next season is as big as I have ever seen at Iowa State. Kamilo Tongamoa 320 lbs, Ray Lima 310 lbs, Jamahl Johnson 318 lbs, and Juan Harris 368 lbs. That's alot of beef!!! 1,316 Pounds!!!

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
There is always the potential for someone to commit after a visit so I'm just spit balling here but if Harris does eventually commit to ISU the potential size of the DT's in the 2 deeps next season is as big as I have ever seen at Iowa State. Kamilo Tongamoa 320 lbs, Ray Lima 310 lbs, Jamahl Johnson 318 lbs, and Juan Harris 368 lbs. That's alot of beef!!! 1,316 Pounds!!!

If Harris got to 320, he becomes an absolute beast. He's playing way too heavy.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Is it that high of a risk though?

How much locker room damage can he do? Is a higher character kid with less talent more important? CMC says they have very deliberate criteria for each and every positions and each and every kid - why would he break with his plan at this early, early juncture with a kid that starts off day 1 with issues? CMC is still running kids like that out of the program - why backfill with another?

If he trusts his plan, can't see why he would go full-on with a reclamation project.

Best of luck to the kid in any case.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
How much locker room damage can he do? Is a higher character kid with less talent more important? CMC says they have very deliberate criteria for each and every positions and each and every kid - why would he break with his plan at this early, early juncture with a kid that starts off day 1 with issues? CMC is still running kids like that out of the program - why backfill with another?

If he trusts his plan, can't see why he would go full-on with a reclamation project.

I think the big difference is that CMC ran kids out of the program that weren't "his guys." My guess is that they weren't buying into the new regime or changing their habits and he wasn't going to allow those guys to continue to be a negative influence. Fair or not a new staff is going to favor their recruits opposed to the left overs to a certain degree. CMC took the reigns and laid his criteria out as far as his expectations go and I feel pretty confident that he will do the same with Harris. If our staff thinks that Harris is a good fit for the program and won't be an issue in the locker room then I trust their judgement.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If Harris got to 320, he becomes an absolute beast. He's playing way too heavy.

Getting him down to 320 by his sophomore year shouldn't be that tough. The strength and conditioning staff should be able to burn some serious fat off of him. Get him into the summer program and he will probably be down around 340.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So the Land Grant guy is predicting at a clip of 45%... Yup... He has sources.

The Wiltfong one is the one that could mean something. i don't pay a lot of attention to them but he doesn't strike me as a guy who needs to throw **** against the wall for a flyer prospect committing to ISU.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
My experience is that they, cmc, do their homework and decide on who to go after case by case. CMC has taken chances before when they felt comfortable with the potential/risk relationship. Did they all work out, NO. But some did quite well and were PLAYERS!!!!!! I am not worried about bad apples.....the plan smashes them like the little cockroaches that they are!!!!

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

IMO including Harris in a two deep discussion for 2017 is very premature if the other 3 kids are on the team. I think the strength staff will develop Johnson and other kids on the existing roster to fill the 2 deeps to go with Tonga and Lima

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW