NBCSports top15 backcourts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
Monte was playing something like 39.8mpg in Big 12 play, we haven't had the depth for great defense. Matt Thomas was hugely improved on both ends last year.

Morris average 34 minutes per game during conference play in 2015, which is the season I referenced.

Maybe Thomas did improve defensively last year, but as a team ISU was still pretty pedestrian at stopping other teams.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Morris average 34 minutes per game during conference play in 2015, which is the season I referenced.

Maybe Thomas did improve defensively last year, but as a team ISU was still pretty pedestrian at stopping other teams.

I bet his defense hasn't improved in 2 years. We played 6 or 7 guys last year, depending on how McKay's attitude was that week.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I don't think anyone here is going to argue that we were good defensively last year. We were first in points made and last in points allowed. I expect improvement, but mainly because we don't have another direction to go as a team.

The only reason I quoted your first post was because you brought up defense as a reason our back court was ranked where they were. I think the author mentioned defense a whole one time in that entire article. I just seriously doubt that this preseason list was put together with what back court has the best combination of on-the-ball defenders.

When ranking guards, points, field goal percentage and assists are usually king. We didn't lose anything in terms of guard production from last year and we are getting a vocal leader (Naz) back from injury.

Nobody puts a lot of stock in these preseason lists, but having 4 senior starters back and being ranked where they are is pretty ridiculous.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It doesn't really matter, but I honestly wouldn't trade anyone for Monte Morris.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'll just assume that any combination of two Hawk Athletic Spider Guards came in at 16.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Naz is one of my all time favorite Cyclones but I'm not surprised he doesn't get a ton of credit outside of our fans. He hasn't been 100% in nearly two years, even when he was, he wasn't the world beater we might think he is. He's hit some HUGE shots but his numbers against big 12 competition don't jump off the page at you. I can totally get why from the outside looking in, he and Matt are looked at as role players/glue guys. II'm just fine with them being underestimated. Besides, 14/300+ teams isn't exactly disrespectful.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny

What do you think of Kansas' back court? I'm honestly curious. From an outsider, Mason seems inconsistent, but I really like Graham.

nickcyv

Apr 29, 2009
Every single ISU team will be downplayed in the pre-season. No matter what. Best not to look too much into it. I'm guessing Rhode Island, NC State, and Gonzaga are all on there? But, I would be willing to bet our backcourt would beat those 3 back courts, head to head, easily.

Except last year's team.

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009
What do you think of Kansas' back court? I'm honestly curious. From an outsider, Mason seems inconsistent, but I really like Graham.

Love the KU backcourt this year. It may be Self's 2nd best since he's been at KU, behind only the Robinson/Chalmers/Rush/Collins backcourt in 2008. The group this year has the potential to be pretty nasty defensively.

Mason can be up and down shooting the 3 (above average last year at 38%) but is otherwise a pretty consistent performer.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Love the KU backcourt this year. It may be Self's 2nd best since he's been at KU, behind only the Robinson/Chalmers/Rush/Collins backcourt in 2008. The group this year has the potential to be pretty nasty defensively.

Mason can be up and down shooting the 3 (above average last year at 38%) but is otherwise a pretty consistent performer.

Mason sucks

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
These type of rankings make me laugh. Iowa's offensive line was recently rated the #1 Oline in the country. Really?

I look at it as a gift. I'm sure our guys are well aware of it, and it will only add fuel to their fire.