Only 6 offensive lineman?

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
Here's a question for those who follow/know more football than I do. Could our 4th quarter problems (in large part due to our offense failing to move the ball) stem from playing only 6 lineman a game?

Good-Jones, Seda, Bobek, Scroggins, and Fett, with Meeker as the sub. That's it, other than a few snaps with Windham in.

Or is this the norm?

I'm curious but not blaming coaches for not subbing more. Like I said, I don't follow line play enough to know if this is a problem. And of course, it might be a problem but the alternative is worse, i.e. too big a drop off with our other subs.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Part of the reason is probably because from our 5 starters (even when gassed in the 4th) to our backups, is a huge drop off.

I do find it interesting that Garcia saw time during the Texas game though. He was mostly recruited as an OL in HS.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
6 I'snt out of the ordinary, but 7 or 8 helps in a high tempo conference. I think we are just getting out classed, the star rankings begin to show up when everyone is tired and making mistakes.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Seems like most teams get by with an extra guy to play at each T and G, you rarely see a C subbed out, so while we may not have quality depth, we play around the same number of guys as most teams. I think the opposing team's depth on the DL could be a bigger factor than anything we're doing.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It is interesting that our OL play has suffered later in games. It could be defenses are adjusting at half.

As others have mentioned it is pretty common to go with 7-8 o-lineman during a game, so it wouldn't normally be an issue with ISU going with 5-6 guys. However, guys like Seda and Fett haven't taken many game snaps until this year, so it's basically been HS since they have taken meaningful game snaps. So the wear & team of a college game may catch up with them later in games.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Something that CMC talked about early on also factors into the late game struggles for the OL...Strength. If they don't have the strength to go along with their conditioning then it will show as the game goes on.

It said something about the team when CMC said Bobek was the strongest guy on the team the day he stepped onto campus.

• Informative
Reactions: Bubba Hubba

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It is interesting that our OL play has suffered later in games. It could be defenses are adjusting at half.

As others have mentioned it is pretty common to go with 7-8 o-lineman during a game, so it wouldn't normally be an issue with ISU going with 5-6 guys. However, guys like Seda and Fett haven't taken many game snaps until this year, so it's basically been HS since they have taken meaningful game snaps. So the wear & team of a college game may catch up with them later in games.

There is a reason walk-on OLs rarely get live snaps... God bless 'em for sticking with the program and giving it their all as this year would be REALLY dark absent Fett and Seda, but talent does make a difference and that is something we are woefully short of right now.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
There is a reason walk-on OLs rarely get live snaps... God bless 'em for sticking with the program and giving it their all as this year would be REALLY dark absent Fett and Seda, but talent does make a difference and that is something we are woefully short of right now.

Agree with this one big time. Fett and Seda are great workers and I appreciate their dedication, but we've got guys on the o-line that simply aren't Big 12 athletes. Luckily for us they've got five star hearts which has allowed our offense to look pretty darn good at times.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Here's a question for those who follow/know more football than I do. Could our 4th quarter problems (in large part due to our offense failing to move the ball) stem from playing only 6 lineman a game?

Good-Jones, Seda, Bobek, Scroggins, and Fett, with Meeker as the sub. That's it, other than a few snaps with Windham in.

Or is this the norm?

I'm curious but not blaming coaches for not subbing more. Like I said, I don't follow line play enough to know if this is a problem. And of course, it might be a problem but the alternative is worse, i.e. too big a drop off with our other subs.

I'd say guys should be able to play the entire game on the offensive line. At least guys I want.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree with this one big time. Fett and Seda are great workers and I appreciate their dedication, but we've got guys on the o-line that simply aren't Big 12 athletes. Luckily for us they've got five star hearts which has allowed our offense to look pretty darn good at times.

Successful walk ons can't go unnoticed in the transition/building of the program. I'm glad at least someone has been able to be serviceable.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think they would prefer to play 5, but have two subs if needed. I don't think you rotate your offensive line like you do your defensive line. Chemistry is too important. Texas's defensive line just outplayed our guys. It happens. If our playmakers make plays against Baylor and Okie St late in those games, we wouldn't even be talking about the o-line.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Part of the reason is probably because from our 5 starters (even when gassed in the 4th) to our backups, is a huge drop off.

I do find it interesting that Garcia saw time during the Texas game though. He was mostly recruited as an OL in HS.

I am assuming that the backups must be way back in ability or something, because Garcia has only been an OL for a few weeks. Even though he may have been recruited as an OL, he has not been practicing at it near as long as a lot of other guys. Really a sad situation. It would be nice to have a couple more serviceable guys that could go in during the 3rd quarter so the starters could have a little left at the end of the games.

As someone else pointed out, the skill players have dropped the ball, or made bad choices in the 4th quarter of close games, so it isn't all on the line.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron