MLB: ***Official 2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Cubs offseason answers:

- Montero will be here next year. Contreras will probably catch 3 guys, Schwarber 1, and Montero 1. The Cubs like Montero's leadership and he will be used much like Ross was this year - sparingly.

- With a WS win, Fowler almost certainly will not be back next year.

- I think the Cubs bring Hammel back for $10-12 million, instead of paying for a $2 million buy out. Pathetic and awful second half pitcher but great first half pitcher.

- I think we'll have about $25-30 million to spend this offseason. We finally have Jackson's $13 million off the books...Coghlan and his $4 million....Chapman and the roughly $6 million we spent on him...Ross and his $2.5...

- A ****** free agent market this year, with all 5 of our starting pitchers reaching or eligible for free agency within the next two years, the Cubs will look to spend any money on extensions for current players to try and keep the young team together.

- I also think they go for a Chapman or Jansen as a closer, simply because the back of our pen was pretty damn good by the end of the year and it was the first time in a long time the Cubs could be leading in the 7th and not have many concerns whether they could win or not.

- If there is a trade, I think the Cubs will try and get rid of Rondon and a few prospects to try and grab a top prospect pitcher.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Cubs offseason answers:

- Montero will be here next year. Contreras will probably catch 3 guys, Schwarber 1, and Montero 1. The Cubs like Montero's leadership and he will be used much like Ross was this year - sparingly.

- With a WS win, Fowler almost certainly will not be back next year.

- I think the Cubs bring Hammel back for $10-12 million, instead of paying for a $2 million buy out. Pathetic and awful second half pitcher but great first half pitcher.

- I think we'll have about $25-30 million to spend this offseason. We finally have Jackson's $13 million off the books...Coghlan and his $4 million....Chapman and the roughly $6 million we spent on him...Ross and his $2.5...

- A ****** free agent market this year, with all 5 of our starting pitchers reaching or eligible for free agency within the next two years, the Cubs will look to spend any money on extensions for current players to try and keep the young team together.

- I also think they go for a Chapman or Jansen as a closer, simply because the back of our pen was pretty damn good by the end of the year and it was the first time in a long time the Cubs could be leading in the 7th and not have many concerns whether they could win or not.

- If there is a trade, I think the Cubs will try and get rid of Rondon and a few prospects to try and grab a top prospect pitcher.

I'd really like Jansen, I would actually prefer him over resigning Chapman, both will cost a lot though. I don't think the Cubs have enough to get a top prospect pitcher without including Baez or Jimenez, neither of which I would like to see moved.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'd really like Jansen, I would actually prefer him over resigning Chapman, both will cost a lot though. I don't think the Cubs have enough to get a top prospect pitcher without including Baez or Jimenez, neither of which I would like to see moved.

If the Cubs are able to get Russell or Baez to sign extensions, I could definitely see the Cubs putting together a nice deal for a top prospect pitcher. Candelario and Happ are two of the best middle infielders in the minors and I'm not sure if they're going to be here very long.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
If the Cubs are able to get Russell or Baez to sign extensions, I could definitely see the Cubs putting together a nice deal for a top prospect pitcher. Candelario and Happ are two of the best middle infielders in the minors and I'm not sure if they're going to be here very long.

Candelario is barely a top 100 guy and isn't a middle infielder, and there's some question if he can even stick at 3B. I could certainly see him being moved but don't think it's in a deal that brings back a big time pitching prospect.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just got an e-mail from the Cubs with the subject "ICYMI, the Cubs are headed to the World Series". Wonder how many people got that e-mail and said, "OMG REALLY?!"

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
It's pretty amusing to go back and read all the posts from Monday and Tuesday. Lot of people who think they are smarter than Maddon. That guy is Gandalf the Grey of Baseball.

Have had such a ball watching this team all year and this week was no exception! Go Cubs Go!
The fact that the Cubs came back SOOO strong AFTER getting behind 1-2 in the series is a testament to that man. It's why I have hope for our FB team in the future - I believe that CMC will be able to wipe away the late-game "losers" mentality that still seems to creep through our team. This bunch of Cubs didn't allow adversity (offensive struggles vs Kershaw and Hill the first time around) to define them. Kudos to your team.

Reactions: djkent01

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Next year I see Fowler gone no matter what. Almora and Heyward fill center. Contreras Schwarber Soler Zobrist Bryant fill in the corners. Infield stays the same. Contreras does 3, montero and Schwarber catch 1 each. Hamel comes back but Monte fights him and Lackey for the 4th and 5th starter. Try for Chapman but wont spend as much as the yankees. With some more work I could see Carl Jr as a closer if they don't get Chapman or Jansen.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Sorry I missed celebrating here last night. I was too busy crying at my parents house.

Holy ****. The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series. It is so awesome and fun.

Reactions: ISUCubswin

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Next year I see Fowler gone no matter what. Almora and Heyward fill center. Contreras Schwarber Soler Zobrist Bryant fill in the corners. Infield stays the same. Contreras does 3, montero and Schwarber catch 1 each. Hamel comes back but Monte fights him and Lackey for the 4th and 5th starter. Try for Chapman but wont spend as much as the yankees. With some more work I could see Carl Jr as a closer if they don't get Chapman or Jansen.

I think that's pretty accurate, especially Edwards taking over as the closer if we don't keep Chapman or get Jansen. I don't see Schwarber catching much, if any next year though, I don't see the value in it and think it puts him more at risk of injury.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron