RIP Gene Wilder

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Watched Young Frankenstein working from home today...one of the funniest movies ever made. Wilder, Marty Feldman, Cloris Leachman and Madeline Kahn are so perfect in that movie. And Gene Hackman's cameo is one for the ages.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Watched Young Frankenstein working from home today...one of the funniest movies ever made. Wilder, Marty Feldman, Cloris Leachman and Madeline Kahn are so perfect in that movie. And Gene Hackman's cameo is one for the ages.

one of the coolest things of that for me was hearing Cloris Leachman's voice. I've only seen her in Young Frankenstein, so I didn't know that was actually how she talked

Reactions: dahliaclone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's sad. I caught Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory on AMC or something a few weeks back while I was channel surfing and I ended up watching the whole thing. He was so great in that role; just teetering on the verge of mania the whole way through. Young Frankenstein is great, too. His reaction after stabbing himself in the thigh leaves me laughing hysterically every time.

giphy.gif

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I would agree. Although, Dude, where's my car? Is darn close to blazing saddles level.

+WILLY+WONKA+_03e87d1a034c5f10c3bb0dfd32865b0b.gif

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
one of the coolest things of that for me was hearing Cloris Leachman's voice. I've only seen her in Young Frankenstein, so I didn't know that was actually how she talked

She was born and raised in Des Moines! Roosevelt alum I believe.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you are a Wilder fan and never have seen Start the Revolution Without Me you need to check it out.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
"No matter what you hear in there, no matter how cruelly I beg you, no matter how terribly I may scream, do not open this door or you will undo everything I’ve worked for, do you understand? Do not open this door!"
"Let me out, let me out of here, get me the hell out of here! What’s the matter with you people?! Don’t you know a joke when you hear one?! Open this ****** door … Mommy!"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you are a Wilder fan and never have seen Start the Revolution Without Me you need to check it out.

I need to check out that full movie. I've watched that clip a lot of times and can't watch it enough.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
His Willy Wonka is a thing of brilliance to behold - and it was just the tip of the iceberg of his talent. That was somehow the shallow end of the Gene Wilder swimming pool, which is amazing.

I didn't pay attention to many celebrity deaths growing up, but I remember Gilda Radner passing. Not because I was a huge Gilda Radner fan or anything (although she was great), but because I remember the visible effect it had on Gene. He was so public with his grief and loss, it was very moving even to an elementary schooler.

I hope the schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries, Gene.

Reactions: jbindm

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Leachman is from Des Moines. I took my "older" girlfriend Jody to Young F. back in the mid-80's. Glad she thought I was too young and naive, Close call. I stuck with Wilder though.

Reactions: ribsnwhiskey