Offense vs UNI..

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I'm really interested to see what we come out in vs UNI on offense. CMC likes to take chances on offense and isn't afraid to go for it on 4th down either..I watched the Toledo vs Ark. Game and all they were talking about pre game was Toledo rushing attack..What does Toledo do? They come out 5 wide first series with fast tempo offense. They ran that Tempo a lot of the game and it wore down Ark at the end. I'm wondering vs UNI if we see similar. UNI replaced their entire secondary basically. I could see us coming out 4-5 wide and throwing a lot to start the game to test that secondary.

I'll say this..if UNI really is a top 5 FCS team then this game has me more worried than I should be..Cause NDSU and Char Southern are good FBall teams with some talent. Bailey UNI QB really struggled vs us last year but finished the year strong. UNI found their QB and RB by years end. Their RB is big and moves well. Although I think I'd rather play vs that type of RB than small scat back who is quick.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I see our offense coming out and trying to ram the ball down UNI's throat. Then I see the run opening up some play action pass to help lanning gain some confidence. I dont think UNI can hang with our oline even with the line being unproven.

Reactions: NetflixAndClone

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I'm sure CMC will run whatever his players run best that takes advantage of whatever defense they are playing against - in the past I'm not sure that was the case.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If I was UNI I would come out blitzing every play against ISU's Oline. If UNI doesn't blitz and just hangs back all game then ISU shouldn't have much difficulty dominating possession taking 4-8 yds a play as long as they are patient.

I am optimistic our O-line will hold its own because I think the coaching staff with get this unit to perform effectively. I also think they will use TE's and RB's to chip rushers to gain time for the QB.

Offensively, I think the key will be keeping the UNI defense off balance. And if UNI blitzes make them pay for it. Obviously, the key to ISU's offense on Saturday will be running the ball. I think 200+ yards rushing would be a good goal.

That said, I think defense performing well gives ISU the highest chances of winning. I'd like to see ise give up 17 pts or less.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If UNI blitzes us a lot, I just hope this staff knows how to exploit it, unlike the previous staff.

That ticked me off to no end. Teams just sent the kitchen sink at us because we never had any clue how to beat it. Never made them pay for it.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I am optimistic our O-line will hold its own because I think the coaching staff with get this unit to perform effectively. I also think they will use TE's and RB's to chip rushers to gain time for the QB.

Offensively, I think the key will be keeping the UNI defense off balance. And if UNI blitzes make them pay for it. Obviously, the key to ISU's offense on Saturday will be running the ball. I think 200+ yards rushing would be a good goal.

That said, I think defense performing well gives ISU the highest chances of winning. I'd like to see ise give up 17 pts or less.

If we get 200 yards rushing we will win the game going away. Last year we could only manage 77. Yes, we didn't use Warren, I know.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I'm really interested to see what we come out in vs UNI on offense. CMC likes to take chances on offense and isn't afraid to go for it on 4th down either..I watched the Toledo vs Ark. Game and all they were talking about pre game was Toledo rushing attack..What does Toledo do? They come out 5 wide first series with fast tempo offense. They ran that Tempo a lot of the game and it wore down Ark at the end. I'm wondering vs UNI if we see similar. UNI replaced their entire secondary basically. I could see us coming out 4-5 wide and throwing a lot to start the game to test that secondary.

I'll say this..if UNI really is a top 5 FCS team then this game has me more worried than I should be..Cause NDSU and Char Southern are good FBall teams with some talent. Bailey UNI QB really struggled vs us last year but finished the year strong. UNI found their QB and RB by years end. Their RB is big and moves well. Although I think I'd rather play vs that type of RB than small scat back who is quick.

Remember that UNI installed a new offense last year, so I think it became more of a layup for us. By years end, they were humming along and into the playoffs. . They know how to use a big RB to control the clock, and their defense will create plenty of adversity for our rookie OC. I think we will have a decent OL, but with zero returning starts, they will have plenty of adjustments to make in the early season. Don't intend to ruin your day, but you might be out-thinking yourself. I think coach Farley's welcome wagon will bring us plenty to worry about

GAMECOCK

Dec 2, 2013
I would say if we didn't push the run game hard with our best player (Mike Warren) we would be playing the game backwards. Never let an inferior team (we are favored by 7) think they are the tougher team from the start - POUND THE ROCK.

If you want to get fancy, then go 5 wide set to start the 2nd half, but lets use our strength of our team, and run behind guys like Philbert and Scoggins, while getting the ball into our best players hands (Warren).

Also, don't be surprised if we are very bland in the 1st half to see where this game is at, because we play Iowa the following week. Why throw the kitchen sink at a team when you play your rival soon? I really feel that they will disguise the M position a little, because I believe that position is huge vs. a team like Iowa - who almost never plays with a nickel, but instead leaves their WLB out there.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I would say if we didn't push the run game hard with our best player (Mike Warren) we would be playing the game backwards. Never let an inferior team (we are favored by 7) think they are the tougher team from the start - POUND THE ROCK.

If you want to get fancy, then go 5 wide set to start the 2nd half, but lets use our strength of our team, and run behind guys like Philbert and Scoggins, while getting the ball into our best players hands (Warren).

Also, don't be surprised if we are very bland in the 1st half to see where this game is at, because we play Iowa the following week. Why throw the kitchen sink at a team when you play your rival soon? I really feel that they will disguise the M position a little, because I believe that position is huge vs. a team like Iowa - who almost never plays with a nickel, but instead leaves their WLB out there.

Yeah, Jones or Ryen vs someone like Bowers is a huge matchup for ISU in that game. For UNI, I would guess that we'll see a lot of Warren and Lanning running the ball before opening it up to Lazard and Daley down the field in the 2nd half. These first two weeks Seeley better show up.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Our starting OL will be fine, it's if we have another serious injury or two where things could get pretty rocky.

And I doubt we come out slinging 5 wide when we have a RB like Warren, unless Lanning suddenly got 100x better at throwing it.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
I think it'll be a lot of 3 wide, 1 tight end, 1 rb sets...and a lot of 4 wide, 1 rb sets. Running the ball more than passing, play action roll outs and quick hitters on bubble screens.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Have to think they will run the football. They have said they need to see what this OL can do when it's game time and not just practice. The best way to build them up is to run the ball. Let the big guys hit someone in the mouth.

I'm in the group thinking we run the football and set up play action. I don't think they hide the M position at all. You can still use the guys without showing your whole playbook. What better way to help the run game down the road than to have the other team concentrating on several things instead of just one or two.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Completely agree with the bold part above. If we can't run the ball against UNI, there probably isn't a team on our schedule we can. So if we go into the game Saturday just assuming our OL won't be good enough to push them around, the season is already lost IMO.

It's time for us to start believing we can impose our will on others, not the other way around. If we have to get cute to beat UNI, it's going to be a long, long season folks.

Also, I would prefer it if Lanning doesn't have to run it much in game one. No need to put him at risk if we don't have to right off the bat.

Reactions: Brandon

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I have never seen us have a good offensive game against UNI. Their defense is always solid, and our offense never gets into a great rhythm against them. When we beat UNI soundly, its usually on the back of a strong defensive effort (last year). If we score over 30 I'll be happy.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Completely agree with the bold part above. If we can't run the ball against UNI, there probably isn't a team on our schedule we can. So if we go into the game Saturday just assuming our OL won't be good enough to push them around, the season is already lost IMO.

It's time for us to start believing we can impose our will on others, not the other way around. If we have to get cute to beat UNI, it's going to be a long, long season folks.

Also, I would prefer it if Lanning doesn't have to run it much in game one. No need to put him at risk if we don't have to right off the bat.

We will play worse teams than UNI. SJSU and Kansas for sure. Its really not a fluke that they play us close most of the time and win every now and then. They are typically at the level of the bottom power 5 teams and the average mid-major teams.

UNI is not the type of team you can play half-assed against and beat, so I would expect Lanning to run just as much in this game as he would in any other game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron