Worst Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'In-State Rivals' started by pdxclone, Dec 27, 2007.

  1. pdxclone

    pdxclone Member

    Feb 8, 2007
    387
    12
    18
    Metropolis of Ames
    Obviously a Hawkeye fan ...

    'Worst Christmas Eve' for Iowan stuck upside down in septic tank
    The 77-year-old spent part of Monday wedged in the tank's opening upside down, with his head inside.

    By Associated Press Last update: December 26, 2007 - 12:25 PM


    DES MOINES, Iowa — An Iowa man who got stuck above his septic tank is calling it the worst Christmas Eve ever.

    The 77-year-old spent part of Monday wedged in the tank's opening upside down, with his head inside and his feet kicking into the air above. He'd been trying to find a clog, but lost his balance.

    He says he hollered for help, but it was an hour before his wife walked by a window and noticed two feet in the air.

    It eventually took two Polk County sheriff's deputies to yank the man free.

    He says he's very glad his wife spotted him, adding that he couldn't have lasted much longer.
     
  2. tim_redd

    tim_redd Well-Known Member

    Mar 30, 2006
    8,306
    323
    83
    Ankeny
    I saw that on the news. That must have been terrible.
     
  3. jdoggivjc

    jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

    Sep 27, 2006
    40,122
    1,198
    113
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I'm surprised he didn't get himself seriously hurt or killed by the gas in the septic tank. I remember sometime within the last decade a couple of firefighters on Long Island, NY got themselves killed by inhaling gas inside a septic tank when they were working on it (I forget exactly what they were doing). Although that had to suck, he should be very grateful he's still alive.
     
  4. bos

    bos Legend
    Staff Member

    Apr 10, 2006
    26,064
    754
    113
    Network and Server Admini
    #4 bos, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
    What a ****** way to spend the holidays.
     
  5. cyjack

    cyjack Member

    Apr 4, 2007
    52
    4
    8
    farming and factory worker
    Melcher-Dallas
    I worked with BOB for many years very nice guy and glad to her things turn out ok for him. At 77 he's from the old school:eek: that if it's broke then you fix it yourself.
     
  6. SlyCy

    SlyCy Member

    Apr 17, 2006
    804
    2
    18
    North Liberty, Iowa
    He's lucky....I don't think my wife would have dialed 911.
     
  7. iccyfan

    iccyfan Well-Known Member

    Sep 6, 2006
    1,457
    31
    48
    Iowa City
    There are multiple fatalities related to "confined space entry" in the United States every year. While the (very dated) attached OSHA / NIOSH materials wouldn't relate to a homeowner working on his own septic tank, it does illustrate the hazard (and septic tanks are #1 on the list).

    Confined Spaces Alert—DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 86-110

    The saddest case I can remember in recent history was five members of the same family in Wisconsin; entered a dairy barn pit one by one (last four as "rescuers") and were rendered unconscious by the oxygen-deprived atmosphere. All five died...
     
  8. SuperCy

    SuperCy Well-Known Member

    Nov 30, 2006
    3,884
    101
    63
    Superhero. Founding memb
    Smallville/Metropolis
    He's one of a few people that can say that something tastes like crap and actually know what they're talking about.
     
  9. Wesley

    Wesley Well-Known Member

    Apr 12, 2006
    70,964
    542
    113
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Another Hawkeye Fan and XMAS

    Septic tank snares D.M. man | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

    Septic tank snares D.M. man

    BY TOM BARTON • REGISTER STAFF WRITER • December 26, 2007

    Christmas Eve downright stunk for Robert Schoff of Des Moines, but he was able to laugh about it by Tuesday.

    Firefighters had to rescue the 77-year-old when he got stuck in the opening to his septic tank.

    He had dug a hole and reached inside to find a clog when he lost his balance and became wedged.

    "It wasn't good, I'll tell you what," said Schoff, of 4300 N.E. 27th St. "It was the worst Christmas Eve I've ever had,"

    The 5-foot-5-inch, 135-pound Schoff hollered, screamed, and hoped his wife, Toni, would hear his cries for help.
    [​IMG]


    He waited for an hour until she walked by a window and noticed feet in the air.

    "I saw these kicking feet and ran out, but couldn't get him out," Toni Schoff said.

    She went to the house and called 911, and two Polk County sheriff's deputies arrived to yank her husband out.

    A Delaware Township rescue crew took Schoff to the hospital, where he was treated for bruises and a ruptured eardrum.

    "How that happened, I don't know," he said. "I thought it was the end of my life. Thank God my wife saw me. I don't think I could have stood staying in there much more. She's my lifesaver."
     
  10. CyGal

    CyGal Well-Known Member

    Mar 1, 2006
    2,748
    52
    48
    WDM
    Re: Another Hawkeye Fan and XMAS

    Already been posted HERE.
     
  11. cycloneworld

    cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

    Mar 21, 2006
    20,101
    426
    83
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    Its hydrogen sulfide gas formed by waste that can be deadly. It wouldn't be present in large quantities in septic tanks but it can be present in fatal quantities in manholes.

    But that could not have been pleasant smelling your own poo for an hour.
     
  12. PolkCityClone

    PolkCityClone Well-Known Member

    Mar 24, 2006
    2,338
    85
    48
    Having to spend Christmas eve in a septic tank sure beats spending it with Squawkeye relatives. The arrogant crap they spew stinks worse.
     

Share This Page