Who was responsible..........

Discussion in 'Football' started by SCarolinaCy, Oct 29, 2013.

1. SCarolinaCy

SCarolinaCy Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Who was responsible........... for pushing Tom Herman out? Anyone big enuf to admit to it?

Big Mistake.

2. Cyclonin

Cyclonin Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    All I am going to say is I'm sorry. One Way. Forward.

3. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    "fire herman" was a common theme at the time, or are you forgetting?

although at least he didn't blame the players for not making enough "sportscenter plays".

4. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    Why was it a big mistake? When Herman was at ISU, the offense was nationally ranked 103, 97, and 90 in scoring. Last year, ISU was ranked 87, and this year ISU is ranked 86.

5. Bader

Bader Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ankeny
    By pushed out you mean Tom got a call from Urban Meyer and saw an opportunity to advance his career under one of the greatest offensive minds in football? That kind of pushed out?

And it's not like his offenses were really doing anything anyway

6. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Borger, TX
    His first hand picked QB couldn't win the starting job at Illinois State. His teams were averaging about the same PPG as the current squad as well. What are we whining about? Let me know when we get a good offensive coordinator and he leaves, and then we can whine. Herman barely mustered enough points to beat Iowa.

7. UNIGuy4Cy

UNIGuy4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant
    Bondurant
    Tom Herman has done what as an offensive coordinator? During the Northwestern/OSU game Herbstreit was saying Meyer calls most of the plays.

8. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    Doesn't matter. He has a chance at getting a HC gig in the near future regardless, because of his connections to Meyer.

9. UNIGuy4Cy

UNIGuy4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant
    Bondurant
    That doesnt make him a good coordinator or HC.

10. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    It does matter if one is trying to imply (as the OP is) that Herman staying at ISU would have improved ISU's offense this year.

11. CyCy

CyCy Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Contrary to popular misconception, our offense has actually been better under Messingham - although not by much. Herman - 21.6 ppg, 357 yds/gm. Messingham 24.9 ppg, 360 yds/gm.

12. Cyclonin

Cyclonin Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Neither were very good, but obviously Meyer saw something in Herman to hire him away. All the people saying "HE DOESN'T CALL ANY PLAYS, HE IS A PUD," are just being butthurt. He got a call from a very good (although sketchy) coach and took the opportunity. How can you blame him or say he isn't doing anything?

He is in a better position to advance his career now than he was at ISU.

13. theantiAIRBHG

theantiAIRBHG Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    Hiawatha, IA
    when did did he say it did?

14. cyhiphopp

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    #14 cyhiphopp, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    I'm replying directly to UNI's assertion that Herman hasn't done anything as an OC. Not Hermans possible effect on ISU.

Personally, I think Herman would be doing better at ISU than Mess were he still here.

He did not have the same talent 3 years ago that we do now. Specifically at the QB position. 2011 Tom Herman would pee himself if he had this years Sam Richardson (at full health) instead of the inconsistency twins splitting time.

15. cyhiphopp

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    I have a feeling that Urban Meyer hasn't won as many games as he has by hiring horrible coordinators and QB coaches to help him out. Even if Meyer is a control freak and calls all the plays himself, he still relies on Herman and works with him.

No doubt that will count for something in the near future when teams are looking for a HC and hope to glom on to Meyers success.

16. cyhiphopp

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    Yes because if he could chose ANYONE to come to ISU he would have chosen Barnett. He took Barnett because at the time he was the best candidate that would come to ISU at the time. He also brought in Sam Richardson his last year, who was good enough to beat out JB, so that should count for something.

I'm not saying Herman was an awesome OC, but he wasn't terrible either. I have a feeling he was pretty frustrated with some of the talent he had to work with and I guarantee he is VERY happy with where he's at right now.

17. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    How I have to wonder what Mess will say now that Nealy was on sportscenter. What's the next excuse?

Also, I believe the common thought was that Herman's contract was just not renewed by JP and he was available to Meyer. Meyer may have seen someone with a ton of potential who he could mentor under his wing to become a very good OC. All we know is he was good at Rice and has been good at OSU but wasn't that great here.

18. TruClone

TruClone Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Eldridge, IA
    I understand this but in reality Mess has better athletes that were actually recruited for this system. Herman dealt mostly with Mac and Chizik recruits that were not recruited for the current system. No way is this an endorsement for Mess though.

19. Cyclonestate78

Cyclonestate78 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2008
    What area of the country was Tom Herman's area to focus on for recruiting when he was at ISU? Texas? The Southeast?

In the 2014 recruiting class for Ohio State... Tom Herman is the lead recruiter currently for 30 prospects. 10 are from Texas and 7 more recruits are from either Louisiana, Georgia, or Florida. In looking at the other staff members and their recruiting targets it looks like Herman is "the" guy when it comes to recruiting in Texas and the Southeast. Maybe... just maybe... Urban Meyer was looking for a guy that he could bring on staff that had recruiting ties in those areas? If we are being realistic here... Herman is the Co-offensive coordinator and Meyer calls a lot of the plays anyway so bringing a guy like Herman in for his recruiting connections is big. It isn't like Herman was an ace recruiter for ISU but then again... selling Ohio State is much easier then selling Iowa State.

20. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Borger, TX
    If he was the best ISU could get, but couldn't start on a middling FCS team, we might as well drop football. There is no reason ISU shouldn't have a better QB than UNI division schools.

Call me crazy if I think ISU should have been able to recruit better.