What's the oldest piece of clothing you own?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by coolerifyoudid, Jul 8, 2014.

1. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    I figured the range of answers for this could be interesting given the age demographic in here. You can include something that you still wear or just something you have (i.e. granfather's tie, old wedding dress that's been passed down, etc.)

I have a pair of ugly plaid shorts that were once really ugly plaid pants back in '86. I cut them off and kept them to play sand volleyball back when there were sand courts north of Beyer. I still wear them, too. Damn comfy.

2. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Oldest piece that I still wear and not as a joke ..... T-Shirt from 1987

Pretty much transparent, but I still wear that bad boy

3. farminclone

farminclone Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I am 24 and still wear some old t-shirts that go back to Jr. High. They are mostly basketball warm-up shirts that we thought were really cool at the time, but are dang ugly looking back at them now. Which is half the reason I wear them.

4. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    A pair of TKD pants I've had for 18 years. Really comfy.

5. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Male
    I'm sure I have jeans that are 20 years old. I keep telling myself someday I'll be slim enough to wear them again.

6. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    haven't worn it in a while (maybe a year), but I have a shirt that I stole from my mom that I used to wear all the time. She got it in Australia in the mid-80s. It's held up better in nearly 30 years than most shirts I've bought from department stores in the last 5.

My family has the wedding dress that my great-great-grandma wore and then the baptismal gown from when her son (my great-grandfather) was baptized. The waist on the dress is less than 20 inches. It's insanely tiny.

7. BigLame

BigLame Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Western IA
    olive-drab army jacket my dad gave me long while ago. Think its from circa-'64-'68

Do have a 29 year-old championship t-shirt from little league (majors) baseball. Hasn't fit for a long time but I have kept it

8. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    grundy center
    The oldest piece of clothing I own was my dad's baseball tshirt from high school from 1962. I still wear it.

The oldest piece of clothing that was purchased for me is my cub scout uniform from around 1990 that's hanging in my closet.

9. rhino3382

rhino3382 Member

Mar 7, 2012
    15 min South of Hilton
    AAU basketball shorts from 4th grade. It was the era when really big shorts where in. Now they are my go to boxer briefs on laundry day

10. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    hat.JPG Iron Kids Bread hat, got one for making enough soccer balls in the holes blow up thinger when I was 8, mine is a lot more worn and faded. Haven't worn it for quite a while but it's probably the only thing that would still fit from being that young and I never wanted to get rid of it.

11. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

My dad sponsored a hockey team in Minneapolis back in the early 90's, so I have two jerseys from that.

12. cdnlngld

cdnlngld Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Engineer
    Ames, IA
    I have a lot of old Army shirts from various places that go back to the mid 90's.

The oldest ting I still wear is a late 90's early 2000's navy blue shirt with a giant walking cy on the front. Was from that period when we incorporated the blue into our color scheme. I don't know exactly what it is made out of, but the color has not faded, it somehow still fits(never shrunk) and has managed to not get holes from the wash/daily wear. I wish all of my t-s were this durable. Probably the shirt with the most miles.

13. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    I have some Tailgate T shirts that are 15-20 years old. They use to make high quality/thick t-shirts that would last a long time. Now they are pretty much junk.

14. bigsag

bigsag Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    I have (and still occasionally wear) an old stained, dusty western hat (a Stetson) that I bought when I first started my veterinary career back in 1975, in Montana. It may not be very pretty; but, it has a lot of character

15. cy4life94

cy4life94 Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Male
    Construction Engineer
    Cedar Rapids
    I wore one of my dad's football cut offs from the early 80's for my senior year of football in 2011. I still have it but I don't wear it anymore.

16. Cutlass

Cutlass Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Software Developer
    Omaha
    #16 Cutlass, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    I just turned 40 this year. I've got a couple of swanky Greatful Dead space your face shirts from when I was a senior in high school that are still quite nice. I break them out on occasion. They did have a 15 year hiatus living in my folks basement when they were out of the rotation.

But my oldest is a genuine horse hide leather jacket that my grand father used to wear when he was a rambunctious young man in the early/mid 1930's. He was a tall well built guy. There is a story about how he rode his horse down to Missouri one night and was friendly with someone else's girl. When he was leaving three guys tried to jump him. He put his back to his horse and way laid into them with his brass knuckles. Legend says he was wearing this jacket that night. After he died in the early 90's we were cleaning out his house. My aunt threw the jacket in a trash can. I didn't know anything about it, but thought it looked cool and retrieved it. It was terribly dried out and took a whole lot of saddle soap to bring in back to life. I've since had it relined and need to have the zipper replaced this fall.

17. pourcyne

pourcyne Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Still have a long, wool coat from the 90's, Made in Russia.

18. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    I actually have and still wear my old DARE shirt. Too tired to do the math, but that was fourth or fifth grade and I'm 31 now. I was a very chunky kid.

19. jbindm

jbindm Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Des Moines
    I have some Zubaz pants in storage just waiting to come back into style. Any day now.

Oh, and I have a Sturgis tshirt I picked up at a garage sale in '96 for fifty cents. It says "This face leaves at midnight, be on it." I wear it when I want to irritate my wife.

20. drlove

drlove Active Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Male
    ISU letterjacket that helps me pretend to be Chris Farley as "Fat Guy in a little coat"