USMNT - Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by shagcarpetjesus, Jul 5, 2013.

1. shagcarpetjesus

shagcarpetjesus Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    So this year's Gold Cup doesn't really mean anything. There's no spot in the Confederations Cup on the line; it's pretty much just for bragging rights. But it is interesting for US fans because it marks the return of Landon Donovan. Here's the 23 man roster for the competition...

GOALKEEPERS (3)
    :Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8)
    : Corey Ashe (Houston Dynamo), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Malaga), Michael Orozco Fiscal (Puebla), Michael Parkhurst (FC Augsburg)

MIDFIELDERS (7)
    : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Helsinborg), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Joshua Gatt (Molde FK), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jose Torres (Tigres)

FORWARDS (5)
    : Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Club Tijuana), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

It's clearly not the US A-team (cue the music if you'd like), but there are some interesting names on there. I really hope JK gives McInerney some run to see how he does on the international stage. The US has one friendly tonight (Friday) against Guatemala at 10 pm central on NBC Sports Network. Then it's on to the group stage matches beginning on Tuesday next week.

2. hawksuck75

hawksuck75 Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Student
    Eugene,Oregon
    The 2013 and 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup winners will have a playoff for a spot in the 2017 Confederations Cup.

3. shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
    Well, crap. I completely missed that bit of information. So I guess there is something at stake in this year's tournament.

4. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Well, we beat Guatemala 6-0. Did anyone watch the match? I just caught a bit.

5. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I did, first half wasn't great, started really slow, played in the middle third the whole time. Then from the last 5 minutes of the 1st half until the end it was balls to the wall.

6. hawksuck75

hawksuck75 Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Student
    Eugene,Oregon
    Any NW Clones going to the match on Tuesday in Portland? I went to the USA vs. Panama game in Seattle and it was rediculous.

7. shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
    Panama up 2-1 on Mexico in the 57th minute in the Rose Bowl. I just tuned in so i'm not sure how its gotten to this point, but Mexico is starting to apply lots of pressure on Panama's D. They haven't been able to get another goal yet though.

8. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Acquisition Analyst
    Urbandale
    Here are highlights from USMNT v Guatemala if anyone hadn't seen yet:
    [video=youtube;qHwOQnxPjPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHwOQnxPjPA&list=UUk1pcWQ5E19g0Cgp4c1eI1w[/video]

9. 3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I saw Panama scored a penalty in like the 8th minute to go up 1-0.

10. shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
    This match certainly isn't over yet, but will Chepo make it through the Gold Cup if Mexico keeps getting meh results?

11. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Two different idiots running onto the pitch in stoppage time.

12. shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
    Canada lost to Martinique? Yikes!

13. 3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    On literally the last kick, it was incredible.

[video=youtube;GV8bYGw24fE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV8bYGw24fE[/video]

14. shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
  15. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    That was a rip

16. shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
    I just looked this up since I was curious & I'll share here just in case anybody else is interested in the Gold Cup format this year. There are 3 groups of 4 teams organized thusly:

Group A
    Panama
    Martinique
    Mexico
    Canada

Group B
    Honduras
    El Salvador
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Haiti

Group C
    United States
    Costa Rica
    Cuba
    Belize

The top 2 finishers from each group advance to the quarterfinals along with the 2 best third place teams.

17. 3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Just saw Mexico had the ball 72% of the time had 9 corner kicks and only manages 1 goal and loses. Ouch.

18. cyko42

cyko42 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Application Developer
    Decatur, IL
    Mexico uncreative in the final 3rd since 2012......

It just keep getting funnier and funnier. Add to that that Canada lost and its been a pretty decent weekend to be a usmnt fan.

19. shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
    At least they scored a goal. Their A team hasn't managed to accomplish that feat in WC qualifying in Mexico City yet this year.

20. shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
    This isn't USMNT or Gold Cup related, but it is freakin' awesome. Messi put together his Messi & Friends charity game in Soldier Field over the weekend, but a large number of players backed out of the event last minute. In order to make up the numbers the organizers had to call in some local talent including Matt Eliason. He's the all-time leading goal scorer for Northwestern's soccer program so he's definitely not a total scrub. But he's currently working as a financial analyst and hoping to hook up with an MLS club somehow. And then this happens...

[video=youtube;yewzbhF9a0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yewzbhF9a0k[/video]